What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on December 24, 2014, 05:20:07 PM
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't considered that. I'm heading out soon so I won't do it now, but later I'm gonna try re-indexing the drive and see if that helps.
It does it by itself. Just let it sit for a while turned on and it'll be fine!

winduko

I'm trying Ubuntu right now.

The speed at which GIMP loaded was so beautiful that if I weren't already certain that switching to Linux was the way to go, that'd have sold me.

Nichi

Chocofreak13

and by lol i mean linux.

Softy
Windows 7 Ultimate (64Bit; Formerly Windows 8.1)
AMD E2-6110 Quad Core Processor (1.5GHz)
4GB RAM
1 TB HDD
3 USB ports (one slightly broken?) and a webcam
5 hour battery life

this is pretty freakin' sweet guys
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

This is actually a tough question since I have about 2 main computers that are used about the same amount. But I guess I'll just have to list them both:
Main PC:
CPU: Core2Duo @3GHz
RAM: 6GB DDR3-1333
GPU: GTX 960
HDD: 2.0 TB Toshiba
Optical: BD burner

Macintosh (A.K.A. Moby Dick)
Line: eMac
CPU: G4 @ 700MHz
RAM: 1GB SDRAM
HDD: 200GB
Optical: DVD Super Multi

Nichi

Eh, I have two main PCs as well (A laptop and a desktop), a backup laptop, and some assorted older computers -w-

winduko

My main computer is a Windows 7/Ubuntu dual-boot.

I can't get the specs at this moment, as I am on a school computer. So here are the specs of the computer I am using, just because.

Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1 64-bit
74.1 GB HDD that is almost full
4 GB RAM
CPU: AMD Athlon (2.10 GHz)
DVD Drive
ATI Raedeon Xpress 1150

Nichi

The 3 main members of my fleet, just because:

2k-tan the Desktop (Main desktop)
Model: Custom built
CPU: Core i7 (3.4Ghz quad-core)
RAM: 16GB
HDD: 500GB primary, 1TB secondary
OS: Windows 7 Professional, with assorted OSes via VirtualBox (Windows 2.0, 8.1, 2000, etc.)

Asagi III (Main laptop)
Model: HP ProBook 4440s
CPU: Celeron (1.9Ghz dual-core - upgradable to Core i3)
RAM: 4GB (Upgradable to 8GB)
HDD: 300GB (Plan to upgrade eventually)

Asagi II (Secondary laptop)
Make: MacBook (Early '08)
CPU: Core 2 Duo (1.8Ghz dual-core)
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 250GB

Chocofreak13

i at one point owned around 8 computers. i have 6 now, 4 of which are properly functional (work without bugs/issues), 2 of which function on a regular basis (at least once within the average week span). 4 laptops, 1 desktop, 1 iMac (i count it seperate since everything is bundled into one space sans the keyboard/mouse).

Softy
Acer Aspire E-16 Laptop (2014)
AMD Radeon Quad Core
4GB RAM
1TB HDD
Originally Windows 8; Now Windows 7
click to make it bigger

Goujer (she/her)

I have four and a half laptops running Windows 95, XP, Vista, 7 and 8.1. (The Vista ones missing a screen thus 1/2)

I used to have about five towers but I fixed three of them up and gave them to the less fortunate; all I have now is my main build and a XP legacy build.

Is anyone doing the free upgrade to Windows 10?

Nichi

I'm considering it; as Windows 10 looks promising.

As for the rest of my fleet, I have 2 desktops running Windows 98SE (One of which I consider one of the founding members of the fleet; my parents bought it new in 1996), one desktop running Windows 2000 (It's approx. 16 years old but has an edge over my main desktop via its TV tuner), a Mac Mini running OSX Snow Leopard, an iBook G3 running OS9, and an Amiga 500 running Workbench 1.3 (Although I can swap out nearly the entire chipset with ease to make it an Amiga 500+; which can run Workbench 2.x).

Oh, and nearly forgot; my cell phone, a Galaxy S3 running Android Jelly Bean

Goujer (she/her)

That is quite the fleet! I'm quite jealous.

When I was 5 I had a Windows 98 desktop I would use to play education games and draw Sonic the Hedgehog in Ms Paint. My largest regret was finding the Windows 95 Laptop in the basement, it's portability caused me to completely stop using the tower; which my parents got rid of as I was no longer using it.  This is probably why I like 98-tan so much and why I keep trying to install Windows 98 in VirtualBox.

I sort of feel I was born to late to experience the real golden age of computing when there was a ton of CPU architectures and unique software, which is why I'm always on the hunt for cool vintage tech like Amigas, Ataris, TRS 80s and Macintoshs.

winduko

Quote from: Legojer on February 27, 2015, 10:33:24 PM
When I was 5 I had a Windows 98 desktop I would use to play education games and draw Sonic the Hedgehog in Ms Paint. My largest regret was finding the Windows 95 Laptop in the basement, it's portability caused me to completely stop using the tower; which my parents got rid of as I was no longer using it.  This is probably why I like 98-tan so much and why I keep trying to install Windows 98 in VirtualBox.

aaaaaaaaaaa

I had a Windows 9x (I honestly don't remember which one) desktop my parents wanted me to use when they wanted the main computer, but they told me to wait until it finished loading because it took a long time to load, but i never knew if it loaded or not because they never told me that it finished loading, because they seriously expected who was, at oldest, a first grader, to watch over it.

This resulted in me sticking to the family Windows XP that I was using, and ultimately, the computer was probably thrown away. A part of me still thinks/hopes that I can find the computer, and it is still in working condition, and find out the damn OS.

Nichi

I remember Windows 3.11; not just seeing it in use, but also seeing it on the shelf at Best Buy waaaaay back when (I recall it just barely). I primarily grew up on Windows 95, and for years after continued to use it in some form (On the family PC from '96 to '03, on a desktop of mine in '04, and on a rather shitty laptop from '05 to '07); making it easily the OS I've used for the longest stretch of time as my primary

Chocofreak13

i have faint as hell memories of using a computer in my grandpa's basement (likely my uncle's) that i believe was windows 3.1. i barely remember any of it sans a figure skating screensaver and a creepy as hell rabbit game. .__.;;;

after that, my earliest computer memories are of 95 on a different uncle's computer. we got a 98FE box when i was about 7 or 8, and it remained in that state until i was at least 13 or 14 when we installed 2 copies of XP over it. imagine no one's surprise when it failed. happy ending, though, as it was given to me when the family computer upgraded. small comfort after not having internet for a giant chunk of my childhood, sans at the library. >>;;

sadly, as it wasn't doing much only two pieces of the original computer remain: the speakers (they require no external power so they make great plug-ins in a pinch) and the original HDD (8gb bigfoot, lol).

Softy - Windows 7 Laptop
Loly - Laptop (originally Windows 7; 2 years and 5 failed hard drives later we have it with a dedicated CD copy of Linux Mint)
Speedy - Laptop (originally Windows Vista; currently has 7 but only when she chooses to boot, which is about 25% of the time; she's a recalled model)
Tanky - 98SE Laptop
Tereby - XP Tower (originally intended to replace my cable box; now acts as an itunes box until i can accomplish the mounting task of moving all my music onto Softy; when i move she'll complete her original function as cable box as we'll be too poor to afford tv)
Quincy - iMac (1998, so 2nd gen? i think?)
GT - iPhone 4
GothPhone - LG Prepaid Cell Phone
Gothcam - Digital Camera (no idea where she is)
Various Flashgoths (flash drives)
click to make it bigger