What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Dr. Kraus

But you can buy the same shitty Chinese components and put it in a $20 case and it can hold up just as well as any mac that your going to buy for $700+ if you TAKE CARE OF IT.

stewartsage

You're all of you quite out of your depth.

Nichi

@Stew: *joke about Tandy Computer Whiz Kids goes here* -w-

LeaflameSD

To be honest, guys, ANY computer will hold up if you take good care of it.

Bella

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MP10S8G16S2C/

So I've found another Mac Pro I'm considering.

It's the same model and price as the other, with half the RAM (16GB) and a 240GB SSD in addition to a 1TB HDD.

Dad thinks I should consider this model because "You'll never need 32GB of RAM" (probably true) and "It has a solid state drive and those are more stable".

Mac people (Kriz) and people who have used SSDs in their desktops (Pent? Anyone else?), is it worth it? I don't know a whole lot about SSDs, are there any benefits besides the performance boost + protection from head crashes and whatnot? (Obviously the drive isn't big enough to store all my files, but I suppose it would be useful to keep my OS + programs on there.) Are there any drawbacks in your experience?

Krizonar

I have 16 GB RAM in mine and it doesn't even come close to using it, so that is a distinct possibility. As for SSDs, they are completely superior to HDDs in every way imaginable. I have the exact model in mine that that has, the Mercury Extreme Pro 6g, albeit a 500 GB sized one.
+over double real world speeds of HDDs
+dead silent, no sound whatsoever
+no wear and tear, meaning they don't get louder or worse as they get older
+next to no power consumption

SSDs are worth every penny, you will likely never be able to use a HDD again without lament. I'll never use a HDD again myself.
As for drawbacks
uh
uh...
price I guess? but that's what you pay for superiority. Better product = more cost.

Nichi

TBH I'm still afraid of SSDs, after the one I bought for 2k years back. It was super fast, but began to cause near constant blue screens and crashes so hard that the BIOS couldn't even detect the drive anymore after a month of regular use, and the replacement that Newegg sent me had the same exact problem. It's obviously nothing with 2k, when the nearly 10-year-old mechanical drive I used with her initially as a stepping stone worked fine for 36x the lifespan of the SSD before I began to have issues.

I heard after the fact that the one I bought became known for being godawful in terms of reliability; to the point that the price for it on Newegg sharply dropped from the initial $300 I paid for it down to $80 in the span of a few months (Shortly after the replacement gave out). Maybe if I was willing to invest in an SSD from a different company, it might not be as bad, but for the time being, I'm still weary of them :\

Chocofreak13

that likely sounds like a problem with that particular type, rather than SSDs themselves. i've heard nothing but good things about SSDs and they seem to be overtaking the market much the way CDs took over for floppy disks. only difference is it's still worth it to have a floppy drive in your computer, when if you can have an SSD, you likely should. the only thing putting me off of one is a combination of hardware compatibility (about 15%) and price (about 85%).

Quote from: Sir. Swagmass on November 30, 2014, 04:19:56 AM
To be honest, guys, ANY computer will hold up if you take good care of it.

this is MOSTLY true....(about 85%), but there are some problems that all the care in the world won't help, such as Loly's HDD controller issues or Speedy's overheating issues (her model was actually recalled). 9 times out of 10, though, if you put good components in a good shell, and look after it, you should have a computer that can last you for many, many years. (read: Tanky, though she's only been mine for about 7 years.)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Indeed. The only flaw with Twinkle (My Amiga 500) is a few keys on the keyboard do not work (I still need to find some way to replace it).

As far as SSDs, you're likely right, but my introduction was not very good in the least. Maybe for Asagi III, I might consider investing in an SSD if the HDD ever gives out, or when I start overhauling it (As I plan to eventually change the processor out -w-)

Krizonar

In other news, my Das Mechanical Keyboard has arrived. Unfortunately it is wired, but it makes up for it with blue clicky switches.

Chocofreak13

wired keyboards don't have to be bad provided you're not being a weird-lo and typing from your computer like i do. (but i'm on a boat laptop.)

nice on the mech keyboard. ^^
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 01, 2014, 09:30:47 PM
weird-lo

I just haven't had a wired keyboard for who knows how long. I was luckily able to make the wires look quite nice however, so it is fine. Blue switches are the loudest and most crisp, for the record, so typing sounds amazing.