What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

What story, exactly...?

Also, indeed

LeaflameSD

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on November 24, 2014, 06:09:04 PM
if it was in the rain you're lucky it's working at all. if you have another PC that uses that kind of ram, try slapping it in there. if it still doesn't work, it's just bad ram. if it's working in the other PC, you have bigger issues.

regardless, kickass find, man. be wary of other people for the next two weeks; you don't want to get charged with theft, even if they tossed it out.
The other PC uses a different kind of RAM.

inb4 v&

Chocofreak13

Quote from: Bella on November 24, 2014, 11:24:32 PM
Hey, I remember that story. Didn't she scoop it up in a jacket and bring it home?

actually, it was her pants.

@pent: when i was in college a story was told to us by one of my professors. seems a girl living on-campus in Cambridge was walking home one night, and went through Harvard Square Park. in the middle of the path, she found a Mac desktop, guts splayed akimbo, blocking her path. looking around without finding an owner, she scooped everything inside and bundled it back together, but found it too heavy and awkward to carry with her tiny frame, so she took off her pants and slung it over her back like a bandit. making it back to her dorm (unnoticed, unscathed....never underestimate the blind eye of cities), she hooked everything up, and lo and behold, she had a perfectly fine Mac desktop, quite new as well. ^^
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Interesting -w-;

Can't say I've had any stories quite like that, either

Chocofreak13

mmm. from what i hear it was a pretty fucking remarkable find given that she was another poor art student in our ranks. :0
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, since Asagi II feels like she's going down (The screen issues mentioned before, plus now the power supply is broken...and costs nearly 3x what I paid for the laptop itself to replace), I made a hasty leap to a new laptop. Well, it's another from a pawn shop, much like the first Asagi, but it feels like it's built like a tank. Thus, we now have...

Asagi III
Model: HP ProBook 4440s
CPU: Celeron (1.9Ghz dual-core)
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 300GB

The laptop itself is apparently only a year old, according to the documentation I found on HP's website. Had 7 Home Premium on it when I bought it, but I'm swapping that for 7 Pro just because.

LeaflameSD

Chocofreak13

you're kidding i hope

@pent: dayum, she sounds a bit beastly. dat hard drive isn't super-special, but the rest is boss. -w-
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Indeed. Best part of all is that it doesn't seem like it'd take much effort to bump up the processor from looking at the official repair guide; it shows the motherboard can accept a 2nd gen Core i3, which I may consider upgrading to later -w-

(For the record, 2k-tan has a 2nd gen Core i7)

Chocofreak13

niiiice. maybe this one's a keeper.
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Get rekt Apple, the Niresh hack allows OSX 10.9 to run on pretty much any computer regardless of CPU or Mobo

http://www.macbreaker.com/2014/01/install-osx-mavericks-on-pc-with-niresh.html

Tested the Niresh hack on every computer in my house
Results:
My computer - WORKS
AMD 6-Core
AMD Radeon R9 280X
Gigabyte Mobo
8GB RAM

$200 Dell system - WORKS
Intel Dual Pentium
4GB RAM
Basic Intel Graphics

Brothers Computer - WORKS
Same as mine
AMD Radeon 6850 x2 CROSSFIRED
Sandisk SSD

Dad's Computer - WORKS
Same as mine
AMD Radeon 7780

So now there really isn't any reason to buy an overpriced Mac in order to enjoy OSX

Chocofreak13

awesome, man. way to subvert the man. >:3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Kraus: I like *w*

@Kari: Indeed :3

Bella

Quote from: Dr. Kraus on November 29, 2014, 02:00:18 AM
So now there really isn't any reason to buy an overpriced Mac in order to enjoy OSX

Aside from wanting a computer that will hold up 10+ years.

Speaking as the owner of a working first-generation Macintosh (30 years old), first-gen iMac (15 years old), eMac (12 or so), another Mac desktop from the mid-90s (17-19 y.o.), an 09' iMac that works so well I'm having trouble justifying the purchase of another computer, and hopefully soon a '10 Mac Pro.

I don't want to keep buying Apple hardware but the results speak for themselves. Every PC I've bought has had significant hardware issues after a few years (a few months in the case of my first laptop, lmao), not so for the Apples in my life.

Nichi

Quote from: Bella on November 29, 2014, 11:44:58 AM
Aside from wanting a computer that will hold up 10+ years.

The Yeti (18 years old) says hi