Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on January 05, 2014, 10:33:47 AM
feel like installing microvista on that one, too? -w-
Maybe if I take the RAM out of this computer, and put it in the other one...

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

So I finally did it:

I can see a MASSIVE performance boost.

NejinOniwa

Them specs hurt my ribcage. And not in a good way. >_>
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

@leaf: niiiiice. -w-
@nej: not all of us have the coin to drop on "new" stuff, okay >>;
there was once a time when I ran XP with specs like that >>;

sadly, Claire has hit a bit of a snag in the computer she's helping me build. it would seem that, despite getting all the right parts, she can't get the MB into the case since the old board was jerry-rigged in. to give you an idea of how demented this case is, the original manufacturer/owner had to cut a hole in the back just to get the power supply to fit (despite it being the "correct" one). as it is, we're going to need to find a new case, so I'm driving us down to the school tomorrow to go hunting.
if we can't find anything there, there's one in Portsmouth for sale, and I might try to see if there's anything between here and Burlington, MA, since we're going there soon. >>;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Kari: That sucks :[

@Leaf: Nice :3

LeaflameSD

Quote from: NejinOniwa on January 14, 2014, 05:17:26 PM
Them specs hurt my ribcage. And not in a good way. >_>
Yeah, I know my specs aren't very good (I wanna upgrade badly ;^;), but you probably don't even know how rude what you just said was. It's not everyday someone waltzes into PC World and gets a new computer, yakno.

Krizonar

Quote from: LeaflameSD on January 15, 2014, 01:13:08 AM
It's not everyday someone waltzes into PC World
I don't think I could handle that. :P

NejinOniwa

It's your responsibility as a computer owner to keep it up to date, mane. All you need to do is learn how to replace parts and gradually upgrade your setup, and you can easily keep a lot more specced-up than you are right now. It's not difficult, and it's certainly not very expensive if you know your stuff.

Rude or not, I will be so if I have to in order to show others their folly.

Chocofreak13

it's easy to judge when you have access to piles of parts and piles of cash to upgrade with.

mum has taken a firm "no" stance on me driving up to derry 3 times in one day. so hunting has been postponed to tomorrow, at which point if we don't find anything we'll be going to Burlington in the afternoon so we can look between here and there.

sorta sucks that we're going there, though, since I'm broke and if we found any discount manga shops on the way I would want to stop. >>;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

For the record, this is my backup computer if 2k-tan goes down:

Frankenstein V3
CPU: 600Mhz Pentium III
RAM: 640MB
HDD: 80GB

...for contrast, 2k herself
CPU: 3.4Ghz Core i7
RAM: 16GB
HDD: 80GB main, 500GB secondary, 1TB external

If 2k goes down, Frankenstein can handle most everything I want to do while 2k's down for repairs -w-

NejinOniwa

The only "piles of parts" i ever had access to, aside from what I bought, was stuff I cannibalized off the machines I was replacing. Which more often than not wasn't compatible upwards. As for "piles of cash", just...no.

I mean, I wish, but no. The machines I've built have been the result of me working my ass off/saving my student benefit money (which, I will admit, is probably a higher sum here than for you folks, but still)/not buying pretty much jack shit except hardware that year. The most I've spent on a single machine was when I bought LAMBDA for some 10000SEK, which was around 1300$ at the time iirc; and half of that was funded by the clan as my graduation present. My own machines have topped around 6000SEK in budget, and that's only when I've had to make one from scratch; the upgrade I did from DELTA to OMEGA cost me a lot less, since I didn't have to replace every single thing.

Cunningulussaves you a lot of money.

Chocofreak13

yes, but leaf may not have access to machines to cannibalize and doesn't have money to buy things. I lucked out that my high school was the dumping ground for all the schools in the district (likely because the district office was there; there are 6 elementary schools, a middle school and a high school in the district, idk if the 3 catholic schools in the area dump there too, but it's possible), so I had a lot to choose from (plus a computer teacher with plenty of junk piles of his own). leaf likely doesn't have access to these benefits.

also, wtf is "student benefit money"...?
click to make it bigger