What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartsage

I wish Bells hadn't just gone spraying my issues over the thread second hand.  The button hasn't 'popped out'.  The wires from the contact in the switch which completes the circuit to turn on the computer have come lose, so by pressing the button to complete the circuit I'm now just pushing dead metal on dead metal.

And yes, Katharine is a high end model, as I've said the entire time I've been a forum model.  She's a customized 1555 that cost about $1100 on sale back in the day.

DustiiWolf

Changing the subject, Atera (formerly crapsung) is now BSOD-ing frequently with some SDBUS error. I really need a job... and money.... and a new tablet... ugh. My main device is dying on me! :(

Side note: at least the new BSOD is friendlier and somewhat helpful.

Hope Katharine gets fixed soon, Stewartsage!
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Chocofreak13

still need a cooling pad. I wonder if the ones at Anime Zakka even still exist. >>;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Have I ever mentioned I wish there was some viable alternative to Skype that I can successfully convince everybody to switch to? :\

The Linux version was great, but had problems with old messages showing up and causing it to crash. Now, it seems to crash at complete random; making it nigh-on unusable :\

Krizonar

Similar feeling.

Skype 6.9 was released in such a state that it would crash within 30 minutes of use. It finally sunk in that Microsoft had bought them and it was going to go downhill.

6.11 is far better, but sometimes it still crashes. Unacceptable for something as simple as an im messenger to ever crash.

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Krizonar on December 19, 2013, 12:24:13 AM
Similar feeling.

Skype 6.9 was released in such a state that it would crash within 30 minutes of use. It finally sunk in that Microsoft had bought them and it was going to go downhill.

6.11 is far better, but sometimes it still crashes. Unacceptable for something as simple as an im messenger to ever crash.

as far as PCs and tablets, the best version, of course, is the Windows Store app on 8.x. It still lacks a few things, but its fast, easy on the hardware, and got the main things down.

as far as mobile, ironically, the Windows Store for Phone version is the worst compared to android and iOS. Its way behind in features, slow, buggy, crashes, won't sync message history sometimes, etc...
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Chocofreak13

Skype has become buggy on Loly lately. there will be moments when it can't connect at all, leaving that stupid little swirly icon everywhere (my messages, my status symbol, etc etc). that's if it doesn't freeze completely. and it's such a fucking memory hog. what instant messenger needs over 300k of memory to function!?

when this happens, I typically end process it and switch over to GT for my messages, which is a bit cumbersome to use regularly. I believe it updated itself recently on Loly. perhaps I should revert.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Indeed. On Windows I went back to 5.1 and haven't had an issue since
(As for Linux...I'm basically fucked unless they bugfix it :\ )

So, Asagi attempted to die on me earlier; via overheating. She did turn back on, so at the moment I disassembled her and will clean out the fan tomorrow, before reassembly. I'm doing better now, since it appears like it isn't as drastic as I was expecting (Given it came about 15 minutes after I went all Hulk Smash due to the aforementioned problems with Skype pissing me off). Looks like all I need is a new keyboard; as this one's slightly bent now

Chocofreak13

hulk smash > slightly bent

pent, are you a wizard owo

hrm, maybe I SHOULD downgrade, then. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Mmm :\

Also, I think I might be. I'm typing this from Asagi now; after reassembly (I found a can of air to get the dust out, then applied new thermal grease and switched back to Asagi's original keyboard; a bit worn, but not bent). So far, so good; might look into some Linux program to monitor CPU temperatures tomorrow.

I intended to go to bed hours ago but sleep was set aside in favor of science -w-;

Bella

You think Skype's a memory hog? As we speak, Firefox is using 104.7% OF EVE'S CPU TO RUN.

PER CENT

FIREFOX IS SO CPU INTENSIVE IT BREAKS THE BOUNDS OF MATHEMATICAL LAW.

NejinOniwa

Think of it this way: Firefox gives you a free CPU upgrade! It's like a piece of gear that buffs your maximum HP!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on December 19, 2013, 03:26:21 PM
FIREFOX IS SO CPU INTENSIVE IT BREAKS THE BOUNDS OF MATHEMATICAL LAW.

It goes to 100% for each core :)

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Bella: Wow. I should be thankful that nothing really phases 2k after she finishes booting up -w-;
(Asagi occasionally acts up if I have too many tabs open at the same time, so I know the feeling. I'd love to find out if it's possible for me to swap the Sempron in her for an Athlon II that uses the same socket; giving me moar power)