What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

*climbs on top of hill and blows horn*

OSC: ASSEMBLE, TO HELP ONE OF YOUR OWN

Do i have your attention yet? Good. Stew just called, he found out the entire monitor assembly in his laptop is fried. The repairmen are saying it's going to cost $800-$900 for parts and labor to fix, which honestly sounds like el shaftiola, because a monitor for a new computer generally doesn't cost that much, let alone a 5-year-old one. Hells, the screen on MY shitty lil' Asus was done in my the ass of its last owner and I was able to pick it up for $350 with a new screen & webcam. And a cursory check of google seems to confirm (though i still need to do more research).

He obviously doesn't have the money or will to pay ~$900 for a new screen, and he says it could take up for a year to buy a new computer, which is also problematic since we don't want to go a year w/o Stew lighting up our lives.

So here's what I want you to do (yes you random OSCer). Look into screen assemblies for DELL STUDIO 15 computers on ebay or wherever it is you like to shop for parts. Report findings. You guys are smart and I know several of you have experience in laptop repair (Kari and Pent immediately come to mind, I'm sure Nej has done some as well) which is why I'm asking. Later today I'm dropping by Dave's Used Computer Emporium to ask about parts / labor, if only to satisfy my curiosity / confirm my suspicion that the repair guy Stew talked to is grossly overcharging.

NejinOniwa

Well THAT price sounds like a bag full of bloody bollocks, and then some! For that you could buy two new computers if you weren't too picky, I mean, honestly? What the hell? I mean sure, the fact that it's an old laptop might drive the price up a bit here since parts may not be all the big in circulation; but still? Dawg, are you for real?

I can't in honesty say that I've done any hardware repairs on laptops myself, but there shouldn't be any real difficulty in looking the basics up online if you'd gander a try at some DIY. Otherwise, a quick check with alternative repairmen SHOULD land you in much more reasonable price ranges if I'm not completely off my bicycle here...

I mean, 900 fucking dollars. That's just bloody absurd, is what it is. Don't think I can be of much help other than with common sense here (atlantic and all that) but still. Damn.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

LeaflameSD

Quote from: Bella on December 13, 2013, 09:25:33 AM
$900
lol
Are you trolling right now?

NejinOniwa

Somewhere, a computer repairman is >Krusty adjusts his glasses
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

A screen usually seems to run around $50 to $100 on eBay, so I'd say that yeah; that guy's ripping Stew off bigtime

Chocofreak13

Claire informs me that the price is sky high because it's a Dell Studio. they're expensive fucking laptops, especially since Dell stops making them after one run. it's not a super-common make, either, making it even worse.

Claire advises finding another Studio and switching the HD out, since it'd be volumes cheaper. in the event you are SUPER attached to this laptop, you could always source the screen from it.

as for the price, while we both agree it's a little high, Claire informs me that just one LCD connector for the screen is $53. Claire says she'd charge about $300 just in labour if she were fixing it given how much of a problem child it is. (not NEARLY as much in parts, though.) you picked a pricey one, boy. :\

on the other hand, a whole new Studio 15 starts (new and used) at $229. but it'd help if you provided a complete model number, considering we have no idea if you're talking about a 1555 or a 1558 (etc etc. also, the 1558 starts at around $1200).

(link courtesy of Claire)
www.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Faw%2Fd%2FB002PY7OSA%2Fref%3Dmp_s_a_1_6%3Fqid%3D1386959386%26sr%3D8-6%26pi%3DAC_SX110_SY165_QL70&h=CAQFAGOa4

EDIT: Claire also informs me that there are 1TB HD upgrades out there. -w-
EDITEDIT: Claire and i are rather frustrated due to the lack of information. is it a Dell Studio XPS? because if so, there IS a 15, and it starts at about $1700 (new, $699 used), meaning replacing the screen IS the better option here. given its age, we're assuming it's not, but next time, post enough information for us to actually help you. >>;

EDITEDITEDIT: found a cheapy screen. probably a Chinese knockoff manufacturer, but at this point, beggars can't be choosers.
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smartmicrousa.com%2Fdell-studio-15z-laptop-led-screen-15-6-wxga-glossy.aspx%3Fgclid%3DCPL188DurbsCFcQDOgod4hcAdA&h=CAQFAGOa4
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I found some cheaper than that on eBay. I'll post links when I get back

Bella

You guys are awesome! <3

I checked with the local computer repairman, he said he could get the whole monitor assembly for $140. If it's a problem with the mobo or graphics card that would cost more, but still substantially less than $800-$900. Dad has offered to help pay shipping if Stew wants to send it up here for repairs, if he can't get a hold of the parts and a reasonably priced repairman where he lives. :>

And yeah Kari, according to Dave it's a pretty high-end model. Sorry that I wasn't clear enough re: model, tbh I picked up the info on OSC, if you asked Stew he'd be able to give more details.

Nichi

Cool :3

If you need the links to the LCDs I found on eBay, I can send them your way

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, I finally removed the Windows 7 partition from Asagi and upgraded to Linux Mint 16. Now, waiting on Skype to finish downloading

Chocofreak13

fancy!

currently on speedy. god i miss using her.
click to make it bigger

Bella

So I just heard from Stew, the problem isn't the screen (LCD / related controllers) itself but the power button located ON the screen hinge. See this picture:

The power button is that little glowing circle on the right-hand hinge. It's popped out and in order to be fixed, the whole screen /may/ have to be replaced. We're not sure if there's no other way of repairing it, or if the repair man was just being an asshole / ripoff artist trying to rack up a bigger bill by suggesting a whole screen replacement.

Basically, it's not a matter of finding a LCD assembly, but the entire screen and frame itself.

Thoughts, everyone?

Nichi

Putting aside my bafflement at such a moronic setup, I found a screen assembly under $30. Just move over the LCD to the new housing and everything should be good :3

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger