What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

Sorry to hear that :(
Makes me think about Mac Tan, she's over 3 years old now and for a laptop that's getting up there.

NejinOniwa

Heh. LAMBDA is 4½ years old...quality make.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

@Nej: Sucks that it's dying :[

@Dustii: Sounds like a fun and inexpensive project :3
(I have an older Mac Mini running Snow Leopard as my home theater PC Mac -w-)

DustiiWolf

Quote from: PentiumMMX on December 06, 2013, 10:42:45 PM
@Dustii: Sounds like a fun and inexpensive project :3
(I have an older Mac Mini running Snow Leopard as my home theater PC Mac -w-)

It would be, between the ivy bridge celeron, the microATX board (with HDMI), the inexpensive casing with included power supply and extras, i could probably spend only $200, $300 tops for a machine no longer than 1/2 a foot and as thin as 3 inches. The most expensive part is probably going to be windows....(unless i find a copy somewhere cheap).

But thats for another time. Right now, replacing ol Ashitiv comes first, and being jobless, i really dont have the funds to just spend on such a project as a media pc, even as inexpensive and cute as it is.
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Nichi

That sucks, but I know the feeling. I'd love to get a Wii U for the upcoming Super Smash Bros, or make some minor upgrades to 2k-tan (Like a new internal hard drive; to replace that really old 80GB I originally intended to use temporarily but that SSD didn't work out so well), but I have too many bills piled up to be able to do anything beyond a new mouse (Since the old one was dying).

Krizonar

I actually received a very large sum of money from selling Madobe and have nothing to do with it. I could always buy an iPad Air to replace my ancient original iPad.

But then I think about how long I've had it, how it's a collector's item and how there's nothing wrong with it, it's just old and it makes me feel sad about replacing it.

DustiiWolf

Get a surface :P /jk

Do whatever you think is best.

btw, not like its pertinent, but does such thing as a USB to SATA or SD to SATA cable exist? SSD's are pricy. Like, more than 2x a SD card. Same with thumb drives. I know tablets use emmc, and I have read the technology is highly similar to that of SD cards and flash drives. But I found nothing like an internal emmc drive on newegg
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Nichi

There are SATA to USB adapters (For plugging an internal hard drive in via USB. I have one), but IDK if they have the reverse. Also, indeed on SSDs; they can get quite expensive, but I'd imagine part of the reason is they're specifically designed to handle a heavier load than an SD card (After all, you're going to likely put Windows and other major things you access regularly on your SSD, while an SD card is mostly designed for storage).

Which, if you do get an SSD, avoid the OCZ Vertex-3. I went through two that died in the exact same way after barely a month of use.

Chocofreak13

Quote from: Bella on December 06, 2013, 12:53:25 PM
I know at least three of you have already done it (Nej, Pent, and Kriz) with varying degrees of success, so I figure this would be a good place to ask.

heeeeey.
I've done it too. >>;

Quote from: NejinOniwa on December 06, 2013, 07:53:12 PM
Sad news, people.
LAMBDA is starting to fail on me.
Not the system itself - she's 100% fine and dimples on the software side, which is pretty damn cool in itself. But the power plug is getting glitchy, alongside the broken headphone plug and the side panel...

MY GIRL IS GETTING OLD >__>

;^;

time to build Sigma, then?

@media PCs: with some of my christmas money, i plan to buy a new motherboard for a media PC i have in storage. with claire's help, we are sooping it up so that it may function as a tv tuner and cable box for my tv. combine that with the immense storage we have planned for her, and Tereby will become my ultimate media PC. hello, torrented anime. shall we watch you with a remote? yes, we shall, right after this episode of deadly women is over. -w-
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 07, 2013, 12:21:06 PM
time to build Sigma, then?

[/mega_man_x]

Sounds nice on the media PC, by the way :3

Chocofreak13

heh. I can't remember if he's already had a Sigma or not. was pretty sure he already had an Omega.

un. it's either going to be running XPMCE (the native OS) or 7 if I can find the correct drivers for the program it'll need to run. :\

if all else fails, I could install XPMCE and then upgrade. :\
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Katharine is five years old, going back to the last page, and she's fallen off two tables with no serious long-term problems.  Her power button nearly stopped working there for a few weeks, the screen frame's cracked, and quite a few of her keys stick.  When she bursts into fatal flames I'll replace her.

Chocofreak13

like what i'm waiting for with speedy!

though when that happens i'll cry hysterically. ;^;

dear OSC, is it weird of me to not want to pay for any software/downloads considering I lose computers so frequently that i'm actually waiting for this one to fail again?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I guess it's understandable; especially given how a lot of modern software has stupid DRM that restricts the number of times you can reinstall :\

At least with Steam, as long as I enter the code from the authorization e-mail, I can log into it from any computer and download my games -w-

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 08, 2013, 09:57:21 AM
dear OSC, is it weird of me to not want to pay for any software/downloads considering I lose computers so frequently that i'm actually waiting for this one to fail again?

AMEN SISTER, I'm hesitant to pay big bucks for software (specifically Windows software) for this precise reason. >:/

Quote from: Krizonar on December 06, 2013, 07:35:13 PM
Have I mentioned I want to get a warrant to marry my Mac Pro as everything about it is perfect and wonderful?

I don't believe you have but I feel the same way about Eve, this computer is my beautiful (old) baby and I love her more than any person should love a computer. She's always treated me so well ... done everything I've ever asked of her ... I'm seriously scared thinking about losing her someday. (She's 4 years old now.) ;__;

Quote from: stewartsage on December 07, 2013, 06:26:07 PM
Katharine is five years old, going back to the last page, and she's fallen off two tables with no serious long-term problems.  Her power button nearly stopped working there for a few weeks, the screen frame's cracked, and quite a few of her keys stick.  When she bursts into fatal flames I'll replace her.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little attached to your computer via you. That, and I know how much you dislike more recent computers, so I can sympathize on that front. ;^;