What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on March 05, 2013, 10:42:08 AM
WHO WANTS TO HELP ME HACK MY HOME ROUTER

I wish I could help. But that's so far outside my area of knowledge, I wouldn't even know where to start. o__o;;

Is there any way you can look for help / documentation online?

stewartsage

I was just reading about that.  What'd you want to do Kari?

Chocofreak13

i just need to access it so i can open some ports. i have the IP so i can bring the router itself up remotely, but i don't know the username or password to get in, and the defaults aren't working. i obviously can't ask my dad, and i'm worried a hard reset will leave too much of a trail. i'm wondering if there are any other options i can try. >>;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Firefox has reached a point of near-unusablity so I'm giving Chrome a shot.

Nichi

Good luck. I honestly can't bring myself to part from Firefox; I've used it for so long, and I like the way I have it setup. Opera is about the only one I can switch to comfortably

Chocofreak13

chrome isn't terrible. TK had it installed so i used it quite a bit when he was here. some features annoyed me, but not to the point where it was unusable. the fact that you can change the skin on it was nice, though i never parted from the installed one (i didn't want to overstep my boundaries and forget to change it back ^^; ).
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Quote from: Bella on March 12, 2013, 09:52:07 PM
Lol wat? O.o
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Pitkin

I was a Chrome user for some years before coming back to Firefox last autumn. Figured I'd reduce the dependency on Google a bit.

stewartsage

Good to hear another voice against the Googlarchy, Pitkin-dono.

I'm starting to seriously consider that I will, in the next few years, either need to get Katharine overhauled or get a new computer if I want to be able to still do games.

LeaflameSD

Firefox is great for business and internet cafes, is a secure and stable browser.
Chrome is a very good and fast browser, for people who like the clean GUI and fast WebKit engine.
IE is a good browser, I don't care who you are. Seriously, after IE5 it really isn't that bad. The rendering engine, security and stability has gone from poor to a good standard.
Opera runs fast on older hardware, and has some nice shortcuts features, that's what I use.

All in all the browsers have their own bad and good merits.
Firefox runs unbearably slow sometimes and is a RAM exterminator.
Chrome sometimes (rarely) doesn't load webpages, and sometimes the browser doesn't load at all.
IE being integrated with Windows Explorer, it causes it to run SUPER SLOW when using IE, also the info bar is rather annoying. And it seems to be used for everything, making that WMP or downloading client run slow or crash.
Opera's mouse gestures can really grind your gears, as you often find yourself hitting the right mouse button and going back to the first page.

NejinOniwa

But FX can be made to do whatever the fuck you wish using extensions, and usually the bads can be removed via the same method.

I'm just saiyan...

Not to say I don't like Chrome - it's a good lightweight browser for when you're just looking at youtubes or browsing randomly. When I do my bigger work, however, I need the customizability that fx gives me.

Never seriously tried Opera, so I can't say anything. IE has never been able to redeem itself in my eyes since Fucking IE7 came and ruined everything. Not to mention it's meh in general.

stewartsage

Internet Explorer brings back bad memories of childhood, waiting hours for sites to load, not to mention the bright shiny glare off the damn thing.  The Fox just does everything I need it to, with plenty of extensions to give me better functionality (no more posts lost to the void!).

Bella

Quote from: NejinOniwa on March 13, 2013, 03:34:59 AM
Lol wat? O.o

Dude, Fixefox 19 won't even let me play videos on Youtube. I mean, it'll load them, the audio is fine but the video is so choppy it's like watching a 0.5 frames-per-second stop motion video. If that. Sometimes the video will freeze for a couple of minutes at a time. Oh, and I don't really like the add-on systems either, these days half of the ones i have installed don't even work (NoScript used to be awesome, now it just absolutely butchers the shit out of webpages and can't even be disabled w/o uninstalling). Not to mention how Firefox updates to a new version like, every month and a half, and every other release is so crashy it's hardly worth using.

Nichi

I haven't had any problems out of Firefox 23423424.0 or whatever the latest version is. That's why I hate Chrome; it forced Firefox to go "DERP BIG VERSION NUMBERS R GUD" and start rapid-releasing versions that barely qualify as 4.1; let alone 20.0 >_>;;

NejinOniwa

Quote from: Bella on March 13, 2013, 04:23:43 PM
Quote from: NejinOniwa on March 13, 2013, 03:34:59 AM
Lol wat? O.o

Dude, Fixefox 19 won't even let me play videos on Youtube. I mean, it'll load them, the audio is fine but the video is so choppy it's like watching a 0.5 frames-per-second stop motion video. If that. Sometimes the video will freeze for a couple of minutes at a time. Oh, and I don't really like the add-on systems either, these days half of the ones i have installed don't even work (NoScript used to be awesome, now it just absolutely butchers the shit out of webpages and can't even be disabled w/o uninstalling). Not to mention how Firefox updates to a new version like, every month and a half, and every other release is so crashy it's hardly worth using.
Well I'll be damned.
Still, I think that's an issue between fx and your machine, or alternately your own fx installation. The only problems I have with fx and youtube are STUPID BUFFERING PIECE OF SHIT that's more to do with my uplink than anything else, really. IDK why they went HERP VERSION NUMBERS, but nothing has ever really changed on my end since like, fx4 or so.