What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

i'm not a mac person. so no. as for her, i doubt she cares, she's not that invested in computers to really pick a side. though she's really only experienced Windows, so idk how nicely a transition to mac would work. i was only mentioning it because it sounds like the kind of computer that'll last awhile, which would be good for her. (now if only OSX didn't update once a year and toss out all the software with each update....)

@pent: you know, i was actually thinking about asking you that, but i didn't want to impose since i know your situation's kinda tricky right now. but maybe we can work something out where i can send a couple money orders your way and you can ship it to me in time for her birthday. ^^
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Bella

Speaking personally, the transition of OS X from Windows (i'd used 98 for ~5 years, then XP for another 5) was effortless. After using OS X for 3 years, transitioning to Windows (7) was insanely difficult. I'm not saying Windows is difficult to use per se, but OS X is super-simple. (Much to the frustration of folks who enjoy system customization). 

As well, I'm not suggesting Windows 7 is better than OS X or vice-versa. I use and enjoy using both. But Windows seems more like an OS for people who enjoy fiddling with their system, whereas OS X is more intuitive and can be used by pretty much anyone with a minimal amount of effort / time investment.

Nichi

...and Linux is for when you really like to fiddle with your system; to squeeze as much performance as you can out of older hardware :3
(Asagi kicks ass on Linux Mint; perhaps even more so than she did on Windows 7 when I got her)

Chocofreak13

linux is what i will use when windows 7 becomes unuseable. so in like, 20 years.

@bella: yeah, but my mother has NEVER used a mac. i bought her a booklet on how to use facebook as a joke, and i think she actually got something out of it. considering the roadblocks i've run into with it i'd prefer to stick with something that mum knows. i was only mentioning the macbook as wishful thinking, plus it's rare to see something so high-end in the classifieds. maybe it's hot. :\

@pent: perhaps we should start talks asap. -w-
click to make it bigger

alfonso_rd_30

personally I know little of refurbished computers (I'm planning to open a Cyber cafe though and plan to build the computers myself... since is cheaper than to but 5-10 HP,, Sony, or even Lenovo systems) but never knew laptops could be built in by scratch like that...

oh I remember my first linux experience... I was all SHIT THIS THING's USELESS... but since installing the VM linux, I don't think it so useless (I still wat to be able to share folders between nanami and ubuntuchan)

Nichi

It's not really built from scratch in my case; more I buy a as-is laptop from a recycling center nearby and repair it

Chocofreak13

building laptops from scratch isn't SUPER-hard as long as you know what you're doing. my friend's old laptop, TK, was built from scratch, following the schematics of a laptop that had been discontinued. they bought all the parts and her and her dad put it together. TK's kinda dopey but he's a solid PC, still runs fine despite being an HP (known for overheating problems; still i love the brand), and being 8 years old.

just like with desktops, it's possible to build them from the ground up provided you have some know-how and compatible parts. the only difference is that you need the schematics to the laptop, so you can properly take it apart. though the one we're making will have some components pre-installed; the only things we're upgrading are the hard drive and the RAM.
click to make it bigger

alfonso_rd_30

Dr. Kraus

building a laptop can cost some serious cash in many cases; An old friend built one with the case being made of aluminum & steel plates, granted this thing was one solid motherfucker but he took it on the band trip in which he totally scraped the HDD because is got smacked around. I have always found it cheaper and better to just buy off the shelf when it comes down to laptops, my ASUS is a power house with a Intel Core i5 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, and a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD which only cost $400 ($500 with the SSD upgrade which was done just last month).

In other computing news, the barber shop I went to the other day was using an Ipad 2nd gen for their cash register which was pretty cool. The fact the barber who did my hair was 85 years old and could understand how to use it and has one himself, he even supports piracy to an extent which is pretty cool given his age. People down here in Naples are too damn nice compared to the people up north!

alfonso_rd_30

wow... register Ipad....? barber shop?

Chocofreak13

dude, you're in naples!? FIND AND GO TO THE ANIME PIZZA PARLOR

@buying vs building: i'd say you run into the same problems you'd encounter for desktops with this issue. sometimes you end up with crap, but not all the time. not everything hand made is junk, which is a misconception that i had to seriously train my mother out of to get her to help fund loly. but TK was built, Loly was custom-built, and both run fine given their age and specs. the only beefs i have with TK are directly related to his age, and thus unaffected by his hand-built status, and the only beef i have with Loly is that some of her pixels are dying, which honestly is a small issue and could occur with a computer off the shelf, too.

it is compounded by the fact that i refuse to get my mother a laptop with Windows 8. she has enough trouble with computers as it is (hell, she can barely work the cable remote), so the last thing i need is to introduce her to something like that. since i'd have to buy one online now to get 7 on it, i'd rather just go with a custom one. :\
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Anything worth building is worth building well.

alfonso_rd_30

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on February 09, 2013, 10:27:02 PM
it is compounded by the fact that i refuse to get my mother a laptop with Windows 8. she has enough trouble with computers as it is (hell, she can barely work the cable remote), so the last thing i need is to introduce her to something like that. since i'd have to buy one online now to get 7 on it, i'd rather just go with a custom one. :\

which is cool... personally I don't like the way Ms went with 8... they got too damn early with the One Software for everything view... so I guess Win 8 is destined to partner up with the billions of Vistans in the Windows family Compound...

Chocofreak13

to get a laptop with an OS that wasn't designed for it isn't a good idea. i don't want to have to get her a "touch mouse" or whatever to control it better, i don't want to have to re-train her in how to use it, and i don't want her to deal with the headaches that come with learning something completely new. especially when XP has extended support and 7 is still viable.
click to make it bigger