What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeaflameSD

Not random files, but (abandonware or free?) applications or maybe games. It was a stupid idea I guess...

Chocofreak13

no, not a stupid idea. but if you want to make a topic for it, i don't see the problem. though i'd say that it'd be better to host them off-site, lest the admins complain that we're clogging their server. (that's the reason i BARELY EVER attach files.)
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Well, I did say a couple pages back that I would write out a full review for Windows 8 once I got around to using it a little more often so here we go!

Before jumping into the review, here is my current setup which I am running windows 8 professional on:

Asus K53E
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 2.4 GHz
4GB RAM
Samsung  840 Pro Series Solid-State Drive(SSD) 124GB
Windows 8 Professional w/ Media pack

Now onto the review:

I can't deny being skeptical about Windows 8 prior to installing it onto my laptop, I was sure that I was going to have trouble with many of the tasks that I did on Windows 7 Ultimate and many other things. Well, I had a problem right after installing in which the code I was given was an "upgrade" key which was to be used on a system with Windows 7 already install on it. Since I was installing on a freshly unpacked Samsung SSD, there was nothing to theoretically "upgrade" from! So it locked me out from many of the features that I wanted until I was able to find a work around by calling Microsoft about it and receiving a fresh key which took around an hour. After installing updates and such, my experience was going much better than expected before hand, all the drivers had installed correctly, all the games I wanted installed work properly, all the files that I want to work with work just fine, everything seems to have worked out in the end. The only major issue that pops up every once and a while is that the video codecs for CCCP will crap out when I watch some anime or they will make it a little choppy, this is probably due to the CCCP code being written and updated for Windows 7 and hasn't been worked on yet for Windows 8. Another problem with it is that I couldn't just make and customize my own tiles without an outside programme which I found easily but isn't the best programme in the world, the locking that happens almost every time I walk away from my laptop is quite annoying as well since I'm only gone for 2 minutes to get a drink to come back with it all locked up again.   

Overall score: 7.5/10

Pros:
Simplistic Design
Supports most applications
Great pen tablet support
Supports all language packs (You had to have Pro or Ultimate to have language packs for Windwos 7)
Slightly Locked down, can't really see any major lock downs at the moment
Amazing load times and support for SSD
Made mainly for Laptops/Ultrabooks/Tablets

Cons:
No start button, really do miss that...
Native windows apps are almost always selected by default for file types
Video codec support needs some work
Language pack gets knocked out every time it needs to update
Can't uninstall many native applications
Adobe doesn't work all to well (CS6), random crashes at times along with some hang times
Media Center is now a paid add on, if you ever liked using it you now have to pay for it

But there you have it folks, its a stable mobile platform that can be worked with unless you are running intense stuff in Adobe. So don't go looking at painting a 5000x5000px canvas in Photoshop or else you are likely going to never finish it.

alfonso_rd_30

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on January 25, 2013, 12:04:41 PM
no, not a stupid idea. but if you want to make a topic for it, i don't see the problem. though i'd say that it'd be better to host them off-site, lest the admins complain that we're clogging their server. (that's the reason i BARELY EVER attach files.)

In case to be making That topic, as I've said, let's only do it a Link repository... I.e. i have Adobe flash Portable that can be downloaded from XXX.XXX.XXX... if any link happens to fall, Just let it konw in the topic...

Besides, Megaupload got back...

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Your shitting me... MU is back!!!??? :D

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

Kim Dot Com has been claiming / threatening that he'll reopen a site for months now. He's also saying he'll give everyone 50gb free storage. Which sounds awesome until you remember what happened to Kim Dot Com's last file-hosting enterprise...

Chocofreak13

oh god this is sweet. i want to shake this guy's hand so bad, i missed that site.

now if only my precious demonoid would come back ;^;

wait just a motherfucking second guys, demonoid's on its way back too!!!!!

FUCK YES, YOU ARE THE BEST INTERNET DAY EVER
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Alfonso... God bless you.

MEGA IS COMING BACK!!!!!!!!!

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

tbh, as much as i like MU, i'm more psyched about Demonoid. ~^^~

btw guys, anyone here still making iphone apps? i have an idea for one that could probably make bank. >>;
click to make it bigger