What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

Quote from: Dr. Kraus on January 05, 2013, 10:31:04 PM
So with the arrival of my new Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, I installed windows 8 pro onto my laptop in which after failing to install the updates it deactivated. Seriously Microsoft. I decide to pay for a Windows 8 key and in turn receive a deactivated product? Whats the deal? I'm starting to see why Gaben (Gabe Newell) hates windows 8, I really enjoyed Windows 7 but this is starting to grind with my gears because I almost can't do anything with a deactivated version and I can't even change my background and "Lock Screen".

Seriously Microsoft needs to get its head out of the gutter on this shit, the same thing happened to my little brother a few days ago.

Other than Windows 8 Pro being a total FAIL right now, the SSD is kicking well and is amazingly fast with boot up.

Herp, so go back 7-wards then?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

twas my thinking, but he already paid for 8. :\
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

So I spent fifty bucks from a gift card on a new mouse.  It's pretty sweet.

Nichi

Very nice, man. I used a $25 eBay gift card to knock down the price on the mouse I bought for Twinkle (A new-old-stock Amiga 4000 mouse; backward compatible with the 500 and cheaper than the original 500 mouse)

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Dr. Kraus on January 05, 2013, 10:31:04 PM
So with the arrival of my new Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, I installed windows 8 pro onto my laptop in which after failing to install the updates it deactivated. Seriously Microsoft. I decide to pay for a Windows 8 key and in turn receive a deactivated product? Whats the deal? I'm starting to see why Gaben (Gabe Newell) hates windows 8, I really enjoyed Windows 7 but this is starting to grind with my gears because I almost can't do anything with a deactivated version and I can't even change my background and "Lock Screen".

Seriously Microsoft needs to get its head out of the gutter on this shit, the same thing happened to my little brother a few days ago.

Other than Windows 8 Pro being a total FAIL right now, the SSD is kicking well and is amazingly fast with boot up.
What updates did you install? Did you try the "Activate Windows" option in the PC Settings app? All inactive windows 8 PC's have that.

Also, get the free media center pack. Microsoft is offering the media center pack for free for a limited time, and it gives you a new license code which should activate windows. Just click "Add features to Windows 8" in Control Panel and enter the license number they email you. (also, if you dislike media center, you can deactivate it through "Add remove windows features" under programs and features in control panel)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs (scroll down the page to "Add media center to windows 8 pro")

EDIT: This is odd, because ive never heard of such a problem. The fact that both youand your brother had this happen baffles me. Have you connected to the internet and tried to activate windows?
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

@Dustii:

Everything has been resolved thanks, I ending up calling Microsoft with a number one of their code monkeys gave me. They fixed everything and I'm all up and running without any problems. Turns out that the key that my dad gave me was an upgrade key which I tried to use on a fresh system, but Microsoft was able to fix it. Now I can fully enjoy my new SSD!

Chocofreak13

glad the problem's fixed, man. maybe you can give us your take on it now. ^^
click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

YAY! Glad to hear its working! Also if you need any tips or help, pm me (if ya like)!

So what are your initial opinions on it?
(i want to hear both your initial opinions and opinions a week in, out of curiosity)
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Chocofreak13

guys, iphone has been secured, and i've been picking out all sorts of shiny new apps for it. but one thing is bothering me; i can't find a good app to play .mkv files. i don't want to clog up my computer with converted .mp4 files since that's a waste of space, but it looks like i might have to. all the reviews on the various players i've found are rather conflicting. little help?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

There's a port of VLC to the iPhone, according to Wikipedia. Try looking that up

EDIT: Scratch that; it was pulled due to a conflict of interest between Apple and the VLC development team :\

Chocofreak13

yeah, that's what i suspected. people were talking about how glad they were to have picked up vlc a long time ago. but for right now it looks like i'm screwed. >>;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on January 06, 2013, 01:28:19 PM
So I spent fifty bucks from a gift card on a new mouse.  It's pretty sweet.

*flings cheap-ass broken Mighty Mouse at*

Also for whatever reason I've decided to attempt learning Emacs (as a word processor). However the majority of this "learning" so far has consisted of reading about Emacs and its history / user community. Also learning the different key combinations used to control it. And making little stickers for my keyboard reminding me which combos do what because I'm at the unfortunate intersection of "Trying to learn Emacs" and "Having a shit memory". No text editing has actually occurred yet.

Chocofreak13

you could just write the correct combos down on a piece of paper and tape it to the desk, neatly framed by masking tape. :\

also, lol. i'm paying $50 for the iphone.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, one of the things I intend to do this year is become more familiar with Linux. I might try to seek our more recent material, but for now I have a ancient copy of Linux for Dummies (Which was written for, and included a copy of, RedHat 5.2) as my main source. So far, I know how to navigate folders (Helps that it uses the same commands as MS-DOS for that), become root, check for updates, and download new packages without using the GUI, which is a decent start