What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

@Stew: If you decide to build a gaming PC, I'm sure Nej and I could give useful advice to build something good on a budget :3

stewartsage

I don't need another computer.

Power Mac belongs to me.  Two actually, the 5260 and a 6100 plus a printer.

Nichi

Very nice :3

If you're interested in some games, I can hook you up with some

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on October 18, 2012, 10:25:40 AM
I don't need another computer.

Power Mac belongs to me.  Two actually, the 5260 and a 6100 plus a printer.

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY WORKING COMPUTERS! Okay, you can, but I still think a laptop - desktop - smartphone/tablet (optional) group is like the best setup.

Congrats on the Macs, now post pics of them! Maybe it will shake me from my inactivity in hauling some of my old desktops upstairs and setting them up. (I just need to get some power strips and a workbench from my dad to put them on...)

Chocofreak13

i need to get into the habit of using my computers more...
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, after a few days of using Fedora on Asagi, I ran into an issue; the screen was a bit darker than I like. I then found there was no way to adjust screen brightness within Fedora; it locks out the BIOS-level keyboard shortcuts, on top of it assuming Asagi was a desktop (Preventing any software designed to adjust screen brightness from working).

However, I soon learned that the Ubuntu version of Skype 4.0 will work on Mint. So, the Linux side of Asagi changes once more

Chocofreak13

i really wish you could stick to something.... ^^;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, Mint is working out perfectly, so that's what I'm sticking with for Asagi's Linux side :3

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

(Moving to appropriate thread)

I'm beginning to think Linux Mint on Asagi was a mistake. Just suddenly, web browsing is agonizingly slow; my Dreamcast on a 56K connection would run circles around this, as it was choking on GameFAQs of all sites (Which is probably the most lightweight, slow-connection-friendly website I go to).

I first thought it was either (1) my internet connection is shit, or (2) yet another in this year's long list of "problems with Asagi", but it seems to just be Linux; as the Windows side is nearly as responsive as 2k. It sucks, as I really do like the look and feel of Linux Mint, and I finally got it configured exactly how I want it, but now it's become almost unusable for basic web browsing >_<;;

Does anybody have any suggestions over what to do? Is there some obscure "dial-up emulation mode" I accidentally enabled somehow, or should I give up on using any variant of Linux for anything greater than "novelty OS in Virtualbox"?

Dr. Kraus

Probably going to install Windows 8 on my desktop and laptop in a little while, seems to run well enough on my media computer and I'd rather have a legal copy of Windows than the Pirated Windows 7 Ultimate I have on my desktop.

I'll give a full update later on...

Pitkin

Dr. Kraus, we're thinking of doing the same. I'm hoping to hear your comments of the actual use and the release's feel with mouse/keyboard.

Nichi

Since Nejin is busy with a game, I'll leave my minty question here:

Do you know if it's normal for Linux Mint to cause my hard drive to make a knocking sound? It only happens on occasions, and only when running Mint; if I'm on Windows 7, it never happens. If it's important, the hard drive is a WD Scorpio Black 250GB (A exact 1:1 replacement of the hard drive that was in Asagi when I got her).

On the thing mentioned in my previous post in this topic, I think I might have found the problem with Mint being so slow with basic web browsing. I think it might actually be somewhat related to my internet connection; given that 2k was acting similarly earlier today while the connection was under a heavy load. I'll have to boot up Mint later when nobody else is using my connection just to be sure.

Bella

The connection thing sounds like a product of your actual connection, considering how poor the quality is. :/

In regards to the knocking sounds - before I read your post, I'd actually never heard of certain OSes causing HDD noise issues. But a google search of "Linux Mint hard drive knocking sound" turned up some informative links:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=114033

http://www.computercorrect.com/2011/operating-systems/linux/ubuntu/fix-for-constant-hard-drive-clicking-in-ubuntu/

Apparently this IS a documented issue arising from certain power management features, especially on laptops running on battery power. Luckily it looks like it there are known fixes, but i'm not sure if these will work for the version you're using.

Nichi

Well, I just followed the directions on one of the links you sent me, and things seem fine so far. Thanks

EDIT: Ok, so disabling power management on Asagi's hard drive, while it does stop the knocking, it makes the drive run hot enough to make her uncomfortable to use. I might just have to scrap the Linux side :\