What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

True, and stacked with the super-long download time, I think I'll give it a pass for now. It looks like my remaining options are:

- Hope I somehow get Puppy to work
- Windows XP (Which still feels like a waste of Nimue's potential)

Bella

I'd try formatting the drive with Parted Magic and installing Puppy from there.

Nichi

Alright. Downloading that now, so hopefully maybe I can do something

EDIT: So, according to Wikipedia, Adobe no longer supports Flash Player on Linux outside of Google Chrome. Given that I can't stand that browser, does anybody know of any Linux-based Flash clones?

NejinOniwa

Adobe are asses. It's public knowledge.

-____-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

So I noticed :\

On the subject of Nimue, I may have figured out part of the problem. It might have been Flash, combined with it's rather low RAM, that made it so agonizingly slow last night right after attempting to watch a YouTube video. However, it still doesn't change the fact that the setup of Vista is partially broken now (The Downloaded Files folder purges itself after shutdown, ever since the failed attempt to install Puppy Linux corrupted the handful of things in there), as well as Nimue developing a problem with staying muted (It's really confusing. The light on the physical mute button on the keyboard turns off, but the icon on the taskbar still shows as muted...and when you press the button, the icon changes to show that sound should be on, yet the light on the button turns on, preventing any sound from playing until said light randomly turns off. This didn't exist on 7, so it seems to either be an issue with Vista or a sign of failing hardware. Hopefully, the former)

Chocofreak13

Quote from: Bella on August 23, 2012, 11:01:05 AM
Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 23, 2012, 10:22:56 AM
i still vote for XP. "me and xp and wireless do not mix" is not a technical issue.

How would you feel if somebody suggested you use Vista, Windows 8 or OSX because you and those OSes 'not mixing is not a technical issue'? You may find no fault with XP, but if Pentium doesn't want to use it, Pentium doesn't want to use it.

don't you DARE get snippy with me.
if he had said he didn't like it, i'd leave it alone. but as far as i know he's not having any problem with it aesthetically, just a phantom wireless issue, which can be corrected with tweaking (and if all else fails, external hardware). not the fanciest solution, but one that could work and be more solid than any of the other options provided. >:[

Quote from: Krizonar on August 23, 2012, 02:58:49 PM
Quote from: Bella on August 23, 2012, 11:01:05 AM
Quote from: Chocofreak13 on August 23, 2012, 10:22:56 AM
i still vote for XP. "me and xp and wireless do not mix" is not a technical issue.

How would you feel if somebody suggested you use Windows 8
Windows 8 is a technical issue.

well played, my friend. -w-

@pent: microsoft is stupid, like most things these days. stupid, simplistic, and made for the masses instead of being intelligent and original. >>;;

also, gl with these problems. i'll give my two cents over skype, lest i be flamed again. >:[
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Um, technically I did say I didn't like it; over Skype this morning, about 10 minutes before the post Bella called you out on

Quote from: Me, via Skype at 10:11 AMIt still feels somehow wrong; that I'm replacing Asagi with a laptop running XP

Well, it was less of a "I don't like it" and more of a "it feels wrong replacing Asagi with a laptop running a much older OS", but it's still a valid reason beyond the eternal issues I have with connecting via wifi using anything running XP. But, I guess it's a fact that people never listen to me when I bring up an important detail involving the current subject, regardless of who that person is or what the subject may be :\

Bella

I don't blame you, an OS not offering satisfactory wifi support would be an absolute dealbreaker to me. I'd either find another OS that works, or sell/retire that computer.

Quote from: PentiumMMX on August 23, 2012, 10:44:32 PMBut, I guess it's a fact that people never listen to me when I bring up an important detail involving the current subject, regardless of who that person is or what the subject may be :\

If you don't want to run a certain OS, you shouldn't have to. Especially if there're valid reasons to not want said OS. :/

Nichi

True that

So, I just updated Flash on Nimue, although part of me is still expecting it to not make much of a difference. I'm likely going to test later, to be sure, but part of me is considering selling off Nimue and continuing the hunt for a proper successor to Asagi, given the difficulties of getting her to do the same things as her technically inferior predecessor :\

Nichi

Ugh, screw it. I'm done with Nimue. I can't even go back to XP; because it somehow can't find my hard drive >_<;;
Also, Parted Magic is incapable of booting on her because Linux and this laptop just don't work

I'm just going to clean my stuff off, put a fresh install of Vista on it, and sell it off.

EDIT:
...and I can only get $25 for that piece of shit, when I need a minimum of $60 to put a laptop I want on layaway. From this day forward, I will never waste my money on shitty business-class HP hardware ever; it's pretty much a Dell Optiplex put into laptop form and a fuckton of useless features. The fact that nVidia doesn't even acknowledge the existence of the graphics card in it should have been a sign

EDIT2:
Ok, Red offered some advice, which I'll likely try sometime later. For now, I think I'll let it rest

Chocofreak13

considering you never said "i don't like it", i never got that vibe. hardware issues can put people off of computers they would otherwise love, and once those issues are resolved they would be all over the computer. as for it feeling "wrong", well, i'd stick up for XP here, but i think i'll take my leave of this thread---it appears i'm not welcome. >:[
click to make it bigger

Bella

I now have an ancestral tablet / smartphone from 12 years ago: today I bought a fully functional, new-in-box Handspring Visor for $3 USD at a yard sale.

Also, it runs PalmOS ....... I just now remembered that there's a -tan for it.....

Nichi

Cool! ^_^
I have an old Dell Pocket PC lying around somewhere, although it's fallen out of use due to terrible battery life (It gets about 30 minutes on a single charge) and my iPod Touch being more capable.

NejinOniwa

LAMBDA is now 1 shade better, because I figured out how to use HDMI audio over her.

She's also the only computer I have here atm, because OMEGA has been sent with THE REST OF THE PACKINGS.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Paul

Got something extremely interesting here:

Voila, that's an Openmoko GTA02, also known as the Neo Freerunner. A completely open-sourced smartphone, hardware as well as software. You can do everything you want with this little thing, there's some different firmwares for it, and everything's well documented. I'm currently running it with QtMoko (a firmware derived from Trolltech's Qtopia on top of Debian) and don't really have any problems with it. Since my SGS3 will be sent in for repairs tomorrow (screen issues which are covered under the warranty) the GTA02 will replace it for approximately two weeks as my primary phone.
Granted, the hardware is a little dated (400MHz ARMv4, 128MB RAM, 256MB flash + microsd) but it runs surprisingly smooth. There's also a successor motherboard, the GTA04 with faster hardware (e.g. a TI OMAP@800MHz...) but it costs a fortune (around 670€) since it's produced in very small quantities in Germany.