What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

To me, that actually sounds decent; considering I often see laptops with dual-core processors sold for around that much

NejinOniwa

Hit the road, jack, and go buy that damn PC.
NOW.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

I'm probably gonna make up a few livecds and go over and test it tomorrow ...

Bella

Results of the test:

Computer: Asus U50F
Seller: That Repairman at the Used Computer Shoppe
Status: I put $50 down on it, will buy it if he resolves the hardware issue (see below)

Linux Test Status: Seemed to run Ubuntu alright.
Past hardware malfunctions: 0 known
Past hardware damage: One broken screen, caused by user error (read: being sat on). The entire screen was replaced.
Current hardware errors: Webcam doesn't work, which the seller seemed to be terribly contrite about, he's going to root out the problem and see if it's software or hardware related. If it's an actual hardware issue, he's going to take apart the screen housing and replace the webcam.

Nichi

So, two new laptops to fix up:

For Kari: Lenovo ThinkPad R61
CPU: Core 2 Duo (2Ghz)
RAM: 2GB
HDD: None

For dad: Lenovo ThinkPad R60
CPU: Core 2 Duo (1.8Ghz)
RAM: 512MB (Will be upgraded later)
HDD: None

Also, as a nice bonus, they threw in a copy of Windows XP (With Service Pack 3 *w*) that was in their bin of discs to be recycled. All these laptops need, after a power-on test with Ubuntu 8.04, is a hard drive, and they'd be ready to go. All that for about $60; which I feel was a good deal

Bella

Good finds. : )

The repairman/seller called back ... it was a problem with the connector in the internal webcam. Since the other Asus webcam he hand on hand wouldn't fit in the case, he ordered a new one and should have it by next Monday... wish me (/him) luck.

Nichi

So, I put in an 80GB hard drive temporarily into the laptop I'm fixing up for Kari, to give it a test run this week.

Here's the WEI scores:

For comparison, Speedy's WEI scores:
Quote from: Chocofreak13 on June 16, 2011, 12:04:56 AM

Dr. Kraus

Will be stuck at this 5.9 until an SSD finds its way into my new computer~

NejinOniwa

So apparently I might be VERY RANDOMLY winning an iMac.

I mean what the fuck.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: NejinOniwa on August 15, 2012, 05:38:13 AM
So apparently I might be VERY RANDOMLY winning an iMac.

I mean what the fuck.

install gentoo.

Nichi

@Nej: I'm willing to bet that a wild Bella will appear in her soon and insist you run Snow Leopard on said iMac

Nichi

So, guys, I have a question

Kari's wanting to possibly help fund a RAM upgrade on the laptop I'm fixing up for her. I typically go with Kingston, but in an effort to help her save some money, I'm considering other brands. I typically go with PNY as my 2nd option (Since their RAM is generally inexpensive, and the Yeti uses RAM by them), but are there any other good options out there that wouldn't be quite as expensive as Kingston but would be just as good in the long run?

Bella

You won't regret getting an iMac Nej. :D

@Pent: I've only used Kingston RAM in the past so I can't help you, but Red or Nej might be able to give you advice...

Chocofreak13

@bella: i'm proud of you for wising up to what petty asshats apple can be. srsly, the fact of the matter is that both phones will be used by different people. the only reason i don't use a random mp3 player is because i like itunes, and thus use an ipod. there will be people out there like me who will use the iphone solely because they like itunes and the apps sold, etc etc. then there will be people who will use the samsung phone because they don't use itunes and prefer android, etc etc. >>;;

also, i lol'd at the SCO-tan pic. xDD
(and nice new laptop. ^^ )

@kraus: nice new computer. and apple isn't the first creator to take undue credit, and won't be the last. they're just extra shiny.

@aurora: congradulations, reversi is so hard. >>;

yes, guys, please help pick out ram for Loly (pronunced Loli). i want her to come out the best she can be, but my mum is under the assumption that if you build a computer, it'll be a piece of crap, since you didn't buy it pre-assembled. so i need to save as much as possible. >>;;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Actually, I've known all along how obnoxious Apple management can be, though trying to patent glass-and-rectangle phones was kind of the tipping point from Typical Annoying Company (TAC) to Nigh-Microsoftian Levels of Corporate Assholery (NMLoCA).

While i dislike the way the management is going, I'm not sure I'll ever have complaints about their products. Especially when Linux remains hit-and-miss in terms of average-user usability (Android is probably the best Linux OS I've used, and it's had millions of dollars of Google funding, go figure) and Micro$oft keeps fucking around with their systems. OSX (and its derivative, iOS) may not be perfect, but at least it's been consistently good for like the last ten years.