What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

overall it sounds like a horrible waste of time better left to sissies who only use tablets for their browsing. not even that, actually. if there's one thing i know about microsoft by now it's that they have a habit of making a great OS, then a crappy OS. (case in point, 2k -> ME -> XP -> Vista -> 7 -> 8. you could go back even further, but that's up for speculation since i liked 98 despite its flaws, same goes for 95. :\ )
click to make it bigger

Nichi

True that. After all, I actually liked Windows 2.0, when most people felt it wasn't viable as an OS until 3.0 came out

But, sticking with that trend, I'm sure Windows 9 will be good :3
...and then Windows 9 and 8 will get together, share only the good parts with each other while abandoning crap like Metro to create Windows 98 3rd Edition

Bella

I'd hesitate to call XP great, it worked sort of decent-ish at the time but inhindsight it seems pretty crappy....

Likewise, Vista really isn't too shabby of you run it in decent hardware. It appeals to me more than 7 at any rate.

Right now I'm on Android Linux UNIX

Bella

So Samsung and Apple are going at it? Apple says Samsung copied the design of the iPhone, since apparently thin rectangular glass-faced phones are © Apple. And Samsung says Apple actually stole that design from Sony but then Apple says that Android is TOTALLY SUCH A COPY OF iOS BECUZ IT LOOKS PRETTY AND SHINY AND PRETTY SHINY THINGS ARE © APPLE. Also Steve Jobs apparently hated Android because he was butthurt that there was a competitor to iPhone??? Because it's a failure if you don't have 100% of the market share, obviously.

Spoiler: ShowHide

GAH GO DIE IN A HOLE APPLE.

Krizonar

I for one hope they stand up and protect what they made, they were WAY too easy on Microsoft when they stole hardcore (probably due to the blackmailing, "if you press charges on us for doing something illegal, we gonna stop selling you MS office!"). The phone is a blatant rip-off. At least you can tell the tablets apart without examining them closely.

you have issues if you even copy the charger.

Bella

It's painful for me to see, since I love Apple products and they make some of the best computers on the market, but Apple management has become so insanely litigatory and hyper-proprietary that I find it difficult to take them seriously anymore. There needs to be a certain amount of allowance for copying in the computer industry; if companies had pursued these aggressive copyright policies in the past, we probably wouldn't have half the modern technologies that we do.

I will never directly patronize Apple again ... when I eventually get another Mac, it's going to be second-hand.

Dr. Kraus

Well, as much as I like apple I can't agree with how they like to claim everything as theirs. Almost everything that they "invented" has technology from other companies that they have worked with in tandem to create whatever they created. There are only a handful of things that Apple has actually invented from the ground up and the general public doesn't understand this, apple is out right now to bury the companies that made them great instead of cooperating more to produce great technology.

There is my little Apple talk, now a little more on topic.

New computer parts should get here in about 20 minutes but they are identical to my lil brother's computer so here are the specs:

AMD FX 6-core 3.3GHz
Gigabyte GA-990FXA AM3+ ATX Mobo
Antec 450W Power Supply
8GB DDR3 2000 Mem
AMD  Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Seagate 7200 2TB HDD

The case should be a NZXT Source 210 but I think I ended up with the NZXT GAMMA case

here are some pics of my lil bro's computer:

GUTS. My dad forgot how to cable manage again~

Nichi

@Kraus: Looks nice, man :3

So, I learned today that my copy of SCO Unix is unfortunately unusable. I'm not 100% sure if it's just not compatible with any hardware I own, or if the boot disk is dead, but it screams in text trying to boot (Or rather, types "E" over and over while the floppy drive is stuck in a neverending reading loop).

Bella

Quote from: Dr. Kraus on August 08, 2012, 02:08:44 PM
Well, as much as I like apple I can't agree with how they like to claim everything as theirs. Almost everything that they "invented" has technology from other companies that they have worked with in tandem to create whatever they created. There are only a handful of things that Apple has actually invented from the ground up and the general public doesn't understand this, apple is out right now to bury the companies that made them great instead of cooperating more to produce great technology.

YES. This. Thanks for being able to articulate what I wanted to say, but way better.

Quote from: PentiumMMX on August 08, 2012, 03:39:34 PMSo, I learned today that my copy of SCO Unix is unfortunately unusable. I'm not 100% sure if it's just not compatible with any hardware I own, or if the boot disk is dead, but it screams in text trying to boot (Or rather, types "E" over and over while the floppy drive is stuck in a neverending reading loop).

Don't take it personally, SCO-chan is just a screaming harpy.

Nichi

So, Minefield is back up and running, although with a few differences:

Name: Minefield (It's not really the experimental desktop anymore, but the name stuck)
Model: NEC PowerMate 433D
RAM: 24MB

So, after I found it has some issues with NT 4.0 (It would crash when a reboot is attempted. Maybe some of the RAM is bad?), and the above mentioned failed attempt at installing SCO Unix, I decided to just go with Windows 95. I've decided, since I really can't think of anything else to experiment with on it that can't be done in Virtualbox, to finally set it up with Windows 95, drop in an ISA-based ethernet card, and give it a more "normal" setup. Granted, there's a gaping hole where I intend on mounting a 5.25-inch floppy drive, but that will be fixed once I have the cable I need.

As you might have seen in Topicless earlier, I actually did successfully get online with it and post; K-Meleon being a great browser for something that old (Also, the only current web browser to support every version of Windows from the current ones all the way back to 95)

Dr. Kraus

Welp, its alive and I'm still trying to name it right now~

Here have the boxes this baby came in~

Aurora Borealis

A few days ago,  I powered up my Powerbook 540c, which I haven't used in a few years. It still works for the most part, though the battery doesn't hold a charge and the internal clock failed years ago- the year is always set to 1972, and it keeps reverting to that when I try to correct the date. Other than those things, it works as well as it used to. I played a few games of Reversi on it, and won a game against the computer for the first time! :D

Nichi

Cool ^_^

Minefield thought it was 1988 when I turned it back on, because it's battery has failed, while Sonata usually thinks it's 1979 if I swap batteries on her ^_^;

Bella

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on August 09, 2012, 01:52:07 PM
A few days ago,  I powered up my Powerbook 540c, which I haven't used in a few years. It still works for the most part, though the battery doesn't hold a charge and the internal clock failed years ago- the year is always set to 1972, and it keeps reverting to that when I try to correct the date. Other than those things, it works as well as it used to. I played a few games of Reversi on it, and won a game against the computer for the first time! :D

Oooh! It's awesome that it still works well despite being - what - 17/18 years old?

I have a circa-1993 Powerbook (i forget the model) but it's missing its charger so I may never know if it runs or not.

Bella

Dear OSC: Do you think $350 is too much to pay for a 2010 Asus notebook with a quadcore processor, 4gb ram and a 500gb hdd? Its screen is 15'' too.

The model is the U50F.