What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

So, I'm posting this from NT 3.51...however, I cannot see what I am typing, so there's no guarantee of anything working :\

EDIT:
Hey; it did work! Unfortunately, I can't see anything in the text box when I'm typing, so it's kind of useless ^_^;

Bella

Somebody just called my hp laptop a chubby guy ...

the fatass won't connect to the wifi here u__u

Nichi

Damn :[

If it's any consultation, I'm still trying to get Sonata to reconnect to the wifi at home (She's still recovering from a reformat and reinstallation of OS9)

Bella

Wait, no!

He has connected to the network! I just had to use a different connection utility. (Writing from him now, btw)

Nichi

Cool :3

I finally found a browser for NT 3.51 that works properly. Well, I can't see what I'm typing on Opera 5, haven't been able to make the mod for Firefox 1.5 work, and Internet Explorer 5 is forced to use the 16-bit version (Which was a stupid limitation put into place by Microsoft to force people to upgrade to NT 4.0), although this little obscure browser called OffByOne works quite well

Bella

Right now I'm on my HP notebook again, I left it plugged in and turned off for a few hours yesterday and the AC adapter seems to be running cooler.

I'm not sure of the hardware specs of this computer (probably mentioned them somewhere in this thread years ago) but it runs XP Pro. ^^

stewartsage

So I remembered I had Red Hat Linux the other day..... if I ever get a new laptop to tinker with I'll probably start fooling around with that.

Nichi

@Bella: Sounds nice :3

@Stew: What version of Red Hat? *hopes it's not 5.2*

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on July 13, 2012, 06:23:02 AM
So I remembered I had Red Hat Linux the other day..... if I ever get a new laptop to tinker with I'll probably start fooling around with that.

How old is that thing?

Nichi

So, I learned last night that Nimue cannot handle dual monitors. She tries, but it puts too much of a strain on her; granted, I think I need newer drivers for her video card, because of frequent graphical glitches when using Aero, but as far as nVidia is concerned, the Quadro FX 1500m does not exist, which makes locating drivers impossible >_<;;

Any advice?

Chocofreak13

it seems a bit roundabout, but perhaps hook a TV converter into it and hook one monitor into it, either relying on her native screen or a TV for the other? :\
you'd need a TV converter, though. >>;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

She has a built-in S-Video port for TV output, so no converters needed. Even if I plug in a second monitor with the VGA port, the external one always flickers badly if, for instance, a YouTube video is playing

Chocofreak13

then like you said, i'd update your drivers and try again. :\

if you can find them. >>;;; (have you tried contacting nVidia's customer support?)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Why didn't I think of that? ^_^;

I'll try contacting them

Nichi

That didn't help, unfortunately

On another note, I tinkered more with Windows 8; learning that she and 2k have compatibility issues (Granted, I don't get why I can't just upgrade to Windows 2000, because the number is bigger). Of course, if she hates 2k because my Windows Live avatar or the very desktop she's running in an emulator on, she probably hates the PDP-8 more; if only because of what I named the Virtualbox I installed her in*
*After a misunderstanding a while back in this very topic, over Windows 8 and the PDP-8 emulator, WinEight, I couldn't resist naming my box that

Also, Neptune actually does try to upgrade from Windows 8 if you go around the backdoor...

Emphasis on tries; she freaks out because she doesn't know what this Lovecraftian horror Windows 8 is. Given that she was capable of upgrading from Windows XP, it feels like Neptune is desperate enough to attempt upgrading from any version of Windows xD

Oh yeah, I also ended up partially breaking the OS through a combination of Virtualbox's Guest Additions and Firefox. Firefox broke the Metro version of Internet Explorer, while the Virtualbox Guest Additions made it unusably slow...and it crashed while uninstalling, so a few little bits are hanging on ^_^;