What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

You know, I think Asagi is jealous of the MacBook Pro right next to me, as she's working amazingly well right now. Like, the touchpad is perfect :3

I still want to replace the speaker grille, but that's more cosmetic than anything

svx

I've acquired a Macbook!

It's not a Pro, but it's a Macbook5,1 so I guess it's similar enough...

OSX is foreign and confusing to me :<

I spent the whole afternoon installing Gentoo on it after I got it...  Man, EFI is a nightmare!  I had the hardest time trying to get Linux to boot without using rEFIt.  I had it working nicely by creating an HFS+ partition and adding a bunch of files to fool EFI into thinking it's booting OSX, but it wound up causing a lot of problems in Linux - I had to use the efifb driver to load a framebuffer in order to get text to display on the console, the nVidia driver caused strange artifacts to appear on the bottom of the screen in X all the time, etc, etc...

I wound up just using rEFIt and doing the hybrid GPT/MBR thing with BIOS compatibility mode.  Now I've got a working VGA console, and accelerated X with the nvidia driver without any artifacts!

Overall,

I have to say...  This thing is pretty sharp.  It's the all-aluminium unibody thing, or whatever.  I can't stop pressing the little button on the side that shows the lights to indicate battery level...  it's entrancing...

Anyway, I named it Yukari.  Because purple. ...

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

i always cared for that name. perhaps it was its proximity to my own name (Hikari) or maybe because purple is my favourite colour. either way, good man.

and don't feel so bad. it's foriegn and confusing to me, too. >>;
click to make it bigger

Bella

After working with vintage computers and command-line-using OSes, NO modern, GUI-using OS is confusing or foreign to me. :p

Krizonar

I cry whenever I have to use the ancient backwards caveman BIOS system.

Usually when something goes wrong with Nanami, I don't think of it as a bug, but a built-in Windows feature.

Chocofreak13

Quote from: Krizonar on June 16, 2012, 08:13:26 PM
Usually when something goes wrong with Nanami, I don't think of it as a bug, but a built-in Windows feature.

whenever something goes wrong on a mac, i usually blame it on them being overpriced white chunks of plastic crap. :3
click to make it bigger

Bella

Whenever something goes wrong on a Mac OR PC, I blame it on them being modern, mass-produced pieces of trash!

Though I've never had anything go wrong on a Mac.

Nichi

When something goes wrong with a Dell, I say it's because it's an overpriced pile of dog shit. A few times during my trip, I swear Asagi was thinking she was a Dell >_>

Bella

When I hear somebody generalize Dells as garbage, I assume it's because they haven't actually owned/regularly used a Dell, have only been exposed to low-end Dell models, or are just going along with the popular anti-Dell propaganda in a sheep-like manner. All the Dell owners I know have nothing but good things to say about the company, its products and service. 

Nichi

Ok, this is going a bit too far >_>;;;

Anyway, I plan on doing some repair work on Asagi soon; replacing her touchpad (As it's started acting up again. I guess she prefers to fly?) and speaker grille, as well as giving the hard drive a run over with Spinrite or something (Which could possibly help with the slowness issues)

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on June 17, 2012, 11:49:46 AM
When I hear somebody generalize Dells as garbage, I assume it's because they haven't actually owned/regularly used a Dell, have only been exposed to low-end Dell models, or are just going along with the popular anti-Dell propaganda in a sheep-like manner. All the Dell owners I know have nothing but good things to say about the company, its products and service. 
My parents like Dell, I am indifferent to them. Our Dell was fine as a computer, even had Firewire 400, good as a doorstop too. Power supply still a good doorstop.

Chocofreak13

@bella: have YOU owned a dell....? cause my sister did, and while that thing lasted a long time, it wasn't exactly good quality most of that time. for fuck's sake, the damn thing couldn't hold its own head up. i usually don't knock a particular brand unless i have personal experience with it, and from personal experience, Dells are cheap, cookie-cutter PCs that the majority of end users would be on about.

also, i should mention that the crap-puter downstairs is a dell.

(however, i just handed over a dell laptop to my sister's BF to see if there was anything he and his best friend could do for it. i was going to hand over the other one i had, but it turns out it's a dell made for Windows 95 and has a mechanical keyboard, so i'm going to hang on to it for a little longer.)
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

The Dell we had was a high end model for its time, ( http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,484752,00.asp ) and like I said, it surpassed my expectations of a PC enough to be called a fine computer.

However, they, for some reason, decided to replace its ancient desk with another Dell and it seems to not be, exactly, a fine computer.

Perhaps they have merely lost their touch.

Chocofreak13

considering this early 90's laptop has a mechanical keyboard, you may be right. things aren't built to last anymore, and that goes for more that just computers. :\
click to make it bigger