What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

as i said, CGI program that's GOOD AS FAR BACK AS WINDOWS 95. think i'd be good.

(besides, even if it can't connect to the net, i have plenty of computers here that can.)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, I couldn't get any of the Windows 1.0 prototypes I found to work, but I did learn the following:

- Hard drives formatted by MS-DOS 2.1 ('83) can be read by Windows Vista ('06). Nice backward compatibility, I must say -w-
- MS-DOS 1.1 is awkward to use. So many internal commands I've grown used to haven't been introduced yet @_@

stewartsage

So I'm trying to figure out how to run CAPS-8 in WinEight still, since I want something a little closer to an actual operation/with a little more customization then SIMH.  Problem is, I can't figure out how to get it to recognize the cassette image to load in.

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on May 03, 2012, 12:25:13 PM
So I'm trying to figure out how to run CAPS-8 in WinEight still, since I want something a little closer to an actual operation/with a little more customization then SIMH.  Problem is, I can't figure out how to get it to recognize the cassette image to load in.

Contact the creator and ask?

stewartsage

It's got to be in the manual somewhere, it's touted as a feature after all.

Dr. Kraus

Just ordered one of these legendary bad boys to add to my system:

Oh hell yea, $130 well spent and I get a lovely $200 paycheck tomorrow!

Nichi

So, OS/2 Warp 4...

After hours and hours of trying to get it to work, I had it running quite well with Virtualbox Guest Additons and everything...until I tried to start a WIN-OS2 season; which somehow screwed up the graphics so epically that it's now unusable even after a reboot, as now it always tries to load Program Manager with everything else >_<;;

Well, it's working again, but that was still annoying

Nichi

Ok, this is worthy of a doublepost; a list of the stuff I bought at that garage sale I mentioned going to in /Topicless:

OSes:
- MS-DOS 3.3 (1 copy)
- MS-DOS 6.0 (1 copy)
- Windows 3.1 (2 copies)
- Windows 95 (9 copies)
- Windows 98FE (1 copy)
- Windows 98SE (2 copies; one of which will be given to one of Kari's friends when I come visit)
- Windows ME (5 copies)

Other stuff:
- 3.5 floppy disk hole puncher (Upgrade your low density disks to high density with this specially designed hole puncher! I had to buy this for the novelty xD)
- 5.25-inch floppy drive (Same model that's been in the Yeti for years. Mitsumi makes awesome drives -w-)
- After Dark (Fuck yeah, flying toasters screensaver)
- Star Trek: The Screensaver (A Star Trek themed version of After Dark? Why not?)
- Microsoft Plus for Windows 95 (CD edtion, new. Not the Windows 98 edition I hoped to find, but hey)
- Microsoft Ballpoint Mouse (This mouse is quite nice :3)
- S3 Virge graphics card in box with driver CD (Now in use on Penti-chan; truly making her a mid-to-late '90s gaming desktop)
- 4 pairs of Kingston 8MB EDO RAM, in packaging (I rarely see EDO RAM, so this was a must)

With the OSes I found, I'm keeping DOS 3.3, while the rest are up for grabs if anybody wants one :3

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

Yep ^_^

So, I finally came up with a name for my TRS-80 Coco 2. It's now officially named Chii; after the character from Chobits :3

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

:3

So, I made some changes to members of the fleet. Things I have learned from what I've done:

- Frankenstein V3 boots faster from the 80GB Samsung Spinpoint I installed yesterday than from the 3GB Fujitsu hard drive that used to be in there

- Windows XP runs surprisingly well on Frankie, all things considered. I still intend on using 2000 as my main OS, but XP is there for OpenOffice and other stuff

- Penti-chan hates hard drives bigger than 8GB. At first I thought it was a limitation of Windows 98 or something when I mounted an 80GB drive in place of it's old 4GB one, but I found out it's actually a BIOS-level limitation when I stepped down to a 12GB one. You can use a Windows 2000 installation disk to cheat the system and create a partition out of the unused part of the drive, but I found it was causing issues (Some installers could not properly copy files to that drive, I'd always be forced to run a Scandisk every time I turn on Penti-chan or do a soft reset, etc.), so I ended up dropping the 4GB partition I couldn't use

With that last part, I wonder if maybe I can find a BIOS update floating on Intel's website...

Chocofreak13

there's always fan-made patches, too. :\ (dunno if that works with BIOS.)
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Not usually.  It could also be chipset.  A lof of older Macs didn't have 48-bit LBA, so you couldn't use drives larger than 128GB and my Libretto has an 8.4GB limit.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!