What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

This is all in the realm of hypothetical, right? Since it takes extensive programing knowledge, organization skills, a large team effort, time and in all likelihood money to get a successful distro off the ground? Not to mention the fact that it could never be conceivably as good as the distros that are years-long and multinational efforts by hundreds/thousands of people, like Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, Arch, etc.

I hate to play the curmudgeon (okay, I love being a curmudgeon) but if you're seriously considering something like this you have to know it takes skills beyond what any of us have and lots and lots of time. Our dear departed resident Linux Guru C-chan worked on at least one small Linux distro project, EeePCLOS, and I remember he spent weeks (if not months) on the graphical stuff alone (making icons, splash and boot screens, custom toolbars, etc). And this was a relatively minor edit of a preexisting distro (PCLOS) and had an actual team of builders.

Quote from: Paul on March 03, 2012, 04:07:30 PM
I gotta admit I'm neither really a fan of Ubuntu nor do I like Fedora much. Sure those two offer fancy GUI stuff but they're both extremely bloated. Especially the package management of Fedora was sort of a nightmare for me.
My two notebooks are running Arch and I'm really impressed with the speed, stability and quite painless upgrade processes. Also its package management is top notch and there are lots of easy to use cli tools.

To be honest, I've grown really lazy when it comes to Linux distros ... at this point I just want something that'll run a majority of software, easily connect to the internet/wifi, and just be generally easy to use, bloat be damned. I wish I had the skills to make working with a lighter/more customizable distro work, but at this point I'd take ease (and a really large userbase I can get technical support from) over flexibility any day.

Congrats on the Itaniums, are you going to run VMS on them?

Chocofreak13

@bella: you love stomping on our dreams, don't you. :[

that said, i don't think anyone outside of OSC would really use it. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Now, I am become Killjoy, the destroyer of dreams.

No, seriously, I'm not trying to be a party-pooper, but if this is more than idle chitchat (ie: that you'd ACTUALLY like to make a distro at some point) you have to know that it's not exactly a weekend project.

Nichi

I kind of figured that, yeah. Coding for the boot disk I made for Kari's copy of Windows 95 was a long process as it was (Taking an afternoon to make sure everything worked as intended; that the *.MMX tiles where properly converted), so something like an entire OS would obviously take several months

Paul

@Bells: Of course there'll be VMS on them! :D

Chocofreak13

@bells: i wasn't considering this a weekend project. whether or not it's a serious discussion, however, depends on the number of people involved. if it's just me and pent, then it's a joking thing. if it's the entire forum mobilized, it's a project.
click to make it bigger

Paul

Let me introduce to you Farron, the rx4640 and Myrtle, the rx2600!

Nichi

Bella

@Paul: Congrats on the new computers. : D

@Kari and Pent: Ahh, okay, I wasn't sure if you were being serious or not. ^^; It's hard to tell over the internet sometimes... >>;

Chocofreak13

i'd like it to be serious, but unless we devoted every waking hour to it (and pent was proficent in coding) we wouldn't be able to do it alone. :\

@paul: coooooooooooool *0*
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Well, I've ordered a Rasberry Pi with the intention to learn how to code.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Red-Machine on March 05, 2012, 06:53:20 PM
Well, I've ordered a Rasberry Pi with the intention to learn how to code.

I need to grab one of them whenever I can...

Chocofreak13

sounds cool, but complicated. :0
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Trouble is, demand is so high I gotta wait till the end of next month for it.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi