What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

if i know what you're looking for in a laptop, i can help too. :3
click to make it bigger

Bella

Not sure exactly what I'd look for, but I'd prefer a MacBook or an IBM, Lenovo or Dell with system specs high enough to comfortably run a newer version of Ubuntu or Vista (or both). -w-

Nichi

Vista? You shouldn't have a problem them; if it'll run Windows 7, aside from possible issues with drivers, it'll go back to Vista :3

Chocofreak13

that means your options are rather wide. for example, if you didn't want a brand new laptop, you could look for one like this; it's from 2005, runs great, and is windows vista capable.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

You know, I have this weird urge to buy a netbook running Windows 7 Starter, and attempt to shoehorn Windows 2000 onto it >:3

Granted, I may not be able to find drivers for...practically every component, but it'd still be badass

Red-Machine

If it's Vista, it's gotta be at least a Core2 Duo or Ahtlon 64 X2.  2GB RAM minimum, too.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

Quote from: Red-Machine on February 11, 2012, 11:50:43 AM
If it's Vista, it's gotta be at least a Core2 Duo or Ahtlon 64 X2.  2GB RAM minimum, too.

I kinda figured, yeah. Even if I ran Linux exclusively I'd need similar specs since all the decent distros have become pretty freakin' bloated themselves. >>;

Red-Machine

So I've been experimenting with the Libretto for a week. It came with Win98 SE, 32MB RAM and a 4GB HDD.

Initial observations:
1. Toshiba used a proprietary PCMCIA controller that made it impossible to use the floppy drive it came with until on a whim I decided to try Tosh's original 95 drivers instead of the updated 98 ones. Friggen weird.
2. The keyboard sucks. Seriously. Keys are tiny and they feel even squishier than a $5 el cheapo keyboard from Wal-Mart.
3. Even though it has a faster CPU than my Satellite Pro (and I believe the same graphics chip), it can't run games as smoothly as I would have hoped. BladeRunner is playable, but it has framerate issues (on a 2D game!); Strange Adventures in Infinite Space plays even worse than it did on my G3 clamshell iBook (again, 2D); Master of Orion II, however, is perfectly playable, but I wouldn't recommend using the mouse nub on the side of the monitor for it. I have yet to try with the updated drivers, hopefully it will improve.
4. The speaker sucks. Seriously, I don't know what they ever intended it to be used for, it even struggles with the system sounds! Plus, the headphone jack is one of those damn 2.5mm jobbies. Thankfully I have a 2.5mm headset from an old phone I can use.

All in all, it's a fun little toy, but not for serious gaming. Not tried any DOS games yet, but I imagine they'll fare a bit better.

Chocofreak13

tbh, in that era those things weren't meant for games anyway, they were meant for business.
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Anyone want to know what the inside of a CPU looks like?

http://www.sciencystuff.com/?p=24

Nichi

That is really cool ^_^

Now, I should eventually get back to my experiments with Windows NT 5; as there are still a few more builds before I come full circle to where I began (The original retail version; without any service packs)

Bella

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

I'm on a Dell Inspiron right now... fondling computers at Staples, lol.

Chocofreak13

public fondling can get you arrested, bells. :\
click to make it bigger