What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

>Updating graphics drivers
>nVidia: download massive file in browser, install takes about 30 minutes during which you have to reboot twice; hope to hell nothing gets bugged afterward
>AMD: download reasonably small file in your choice of install manager or browser, install takes 4 minutes tops during which your screen goes black and downsizes to 640x480 for 10 seconds, then goes back; no bugs ever

I fucking love you, Red Team. <3
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

What the HELL are you smoking?  nVIDIA drivers haven't needed a reboot since last summer, and you have to uninstall the old AMD drivers before you install the new ones.  AMD drivers have been buggy as shit since the dawn of time.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

The only major problem I've had with an AMD/ATI graphics card was with the drivers that my Radeon HD 6850 shipped with causing frequent BSODs, but downloading newer drivers from their website solved that problem instantly.

I don't think I've used anything nVidia, so I can't comment on them

Krizonar

Drivers? not sure how I got the drivers on my PC, I forget.

As for updating, I think I just let windows update take care of it? /knows nothing about drivers on windows really

NejinOniwa

I call bullshit on that, red boi. LAMBDA's drivers are nVidia and sure as fuck need reboots both one and two for some reason. May be that it's only because it's a laptop card, but I have had other experiences with Green.

And as a guy who just updated his 6970 drivers? That's just a blatant bashlie, and we both know it.

As for bugginess, all I have to go on is my own experience - because net ravings about red vs green are just as infected and biased as the users are. My Radeon drivers have never fucked me up, while my Nvidia drivers have - and not just on my own computers, either.

Chocofreak13

Quote from: Red-Machine on January 28, 2012, 05:29:01 PM
What the HELL are you smoking?  nVIDIA drivers haven't needed a reboot since last summer, and you have to uninstall the old AMD drivers before you install the new ones.  AMD drivers have been buggy as shit since the dawn of time.
Quote from: NejinOniwa on January 28, 2012, 06:15:40 PM
I call bullshit on that, red boi. LAMBDA's drivers are nVidia and sure as fuck need reboots both one and two for some reason. May be that it's only because it's a laptop card, but I have had other experiences with Green.

And as a guy who just updated his 6970 drivers? That's just a blatant bashlie, and we both know it.

As for bugginess, all I have to go on is my own experience - because net ravings about red vs green are just as infected and biased as the users are. My Radeon drivers have never fucked me up, while my Nvidia drivers have - and not just on my own computers, either.

can you guys talk about ANYTHING without attacking each other? i realize i'm walking into the line of fire here, but seriously, it gets fucking annoying. ><;;
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

I like both Nvidia and AMD cards.

Bella

Brits + Swedes = natural enemies. Like mongeese and badgers!
(Or like Englishmen and Scots... or Welshmen and Scots... or Japanese and Scots... or Scots and other Scots! /ObligatorySimpsonsReference)

I have no preference for any kind of video card, if it works, I like it. 'w'

Red-Machine

AMD recommend uninstalling the old drivers before you install the new ones, hence why there's an "Uninstall" option ABOVE the "Install" option.  If you don't believe me, google it.  It creates a fuckton of problems as ATi/AMD weren't ever able to get it to remove/replace the older files properly.  Something the green team has been doing since Detonator drivers first came out waaaaaaay back in '98.

Chocofreak13

@bella: same. idk what my graphics card is, nor do i care. it's doing its job. i suppose i should care more given that i'm an artist and use my computer for that purpose partially, but i suppose that, like with materials (for the most part), i don't really care that much.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Welp, and you use AMD graphics how often now again? Like I said - don't play authority on things you're not.

And K, idunnolol. Suffice to say it's not that I'm trying to start a war here...

Red-Machine

I have AMD graphics on two of my machines and can count at least five people I know personally who also use them.  I'm a member of one of the biggest tech communities on the planet, I know my onions man.

NejinOniwa

Entropy is playing around without my supervision, then. Again.

W/E. Apparently british onions and swedish garlics don't function the same, so I'll just shove this into my box of Used Topics That Just Don't Work.

Nichi

So, tinkering with beta versions of Windows 2000, here are my discoveries so far:

Build 1515:
- Feels strangely like NT 4.0 and Windows 7 thrown in a blender; with the Show Desktop butting being in the same place as it is on 7
- Explorer looks different compared to other versions of Windows
- Can get on internet, but thanks to Internet Explorer 4, it's hard to do anything. I might try installing Firefox 2 later
- Can upgrade to Neptune; cannot upgrade to XP, Vista, the retail version of 2000, or Whistler 2296
- Is apparently too early of a build to have that really cool startup sound; instead reusing the one from NT 4.0

Build 1671:
- Feels more like vanilla NT 4.0
- Explorer feels more like Windows 98, although the graphics are different
- Does not have drivers for my network adapter, unlike it's predecessors
- It can't install NT 4.0 Guest Additions; instead attempting to install the additions for 2000, which it can't use
- If you attempt to setup dual-booting between this and Whistler, NT 5.0 becomes unusable; BSOD at startup
- Is the first build I've tinkered with to include the really cool startup sound

Chocofreak13

@nej: if it's any consolation, i was taking your side on the matter, like a good minion. :\

@pentium: lol. the earlier version sounds more useful than the later version. sounds like she's a tryhard but not deciding very well. xD
click to make it bigger