What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

I've been bitten by pre-installed malware before, as have others I'm aware of.  Just because you don't like the way a company does something, or the way they handle DRM/anti-piracy, it does not give you the right to break the law to get what you want.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

Goddammit; why is it that I can't mention buying or downloading software without an argument breaking out over it?

All that matters is Asagi is working now

Chocofreak13

@pentium: yay!
@red, nej: you're not going to agree, so it's better just to drop the matter. seriously.
@kriz: .chm file. and PCs can read .pdfs, they just need adobe reader or IE. :\
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on January 27, 2012, 11:02:01 AM
@kriz: .chm file
I have absolutely no clue what that is, nor have I ever seen a file like that.

Carry on.

NejinOniwa

I am simply trying to get into the redhead that "Right" does not equal "Best" option. But, apparently he bit a bad apple once, so now he hates all apples by default since they're WORM-INFESTED MISCREANTS or something.

Oh wait, wrong software company. Change that metaphor into something else, I'm not gonna bother.

Besides, I don't really like/dislike what/how M$ go about their policying - they are not anywhere close to the worst, in that matter, merely one of the usual suspects - and Windows as an OS I am rather fond of (or at least, highly accepting). I do think that parts of their policy and action whatwith DRM and AP efforts are pretty damn stupid and bad for their own business, however, but that's their problem.

The quota of it all is,
WHY SO MAD, RED?
and, as an optional add-on,
WHY ARE YOU WHITEKNIGHTING THE WHOLE UNIVERSE WHEN NOBODY'S ASKING FOR IT, RED?
oh, wait. that's what whiteknighting is about. carry on.

That concludes today's agenda.

@the rest of thread: .chm files are some sort of help files for old windows programs, pre-XP era or so. I think.
And Windows 7, at least, reads plenty of filetypes with the new Wordpad - .odt and .doc and a fuckton of other obscure formats sensible people never use, like Star Office Document Format or whatnot.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

Quote from: NejinOniwa on January 27, 2012, 02:51:36 PMI am simply trying to get into the redhead that "Right" does not equal "Best" option. But, apparently he bit a bad apple once, so now he hates all apples by default since they're WORM-INFESTED MISCREANTS or something.

The bad apple isn't my problem, I can handle a simple infection and know how to get a decent torrent.  I just avoid breaking the law when at all possible.

Krizonar

Quote from: NejinOniwa on January 27, 2012, 02:51:36 PM
@the rest of thread: .chm files are some sort of help files for old windows programs, pre-XP era or so. I think.
And Windows 7, at least, reads plenty of filetypes with the new Wordpad - .odt and .doc and a fuckton of other obscure formats sensible people never use, like Star Office Document Format or whatnot.
No wonder I've never heard of it, I can't imagine why it would be used.

My Windows 7 won't read those, I had to torrent office to read a word document, which is sad, as Macs have natively read word documents forever, even my G5 will.

Red-Machine

No, you can use WordPad to read a Word document.  Always have been able to.

Bella

Quote from: Red-Machine on January 26, 2012, 04:30:42 AM

Linus Torvalds, eat your heart out.

I still wanna know what this is. u_u

Krizonar

Quote from: Red-Machine on January 27, 2012, 03:40:34 PM
No, you can use WordPad to read a Word document.  Always have been able to.
When a computer tells me it doesn't have a program to open a file, I'd like to believe it, guess I can't always trust it.

Red-Machine

Quote from: Bella on January 27, 2012, 03:49:14 PM
Quote from: Red-Machine on January 26, 2012, 04:30:42 AM

Linus Torvalds, eat your heart out.

I still wanna know what this is. u_u

That's me playing hacker.

Quote from: Krizonar on January 27, 2012, 04:13:19 PM
When a computer tells me it doesn't have a program to open a file, I'd like to believe it, guess I can't always trust it.

It usually has WordPad set as the default if you don't have Word installed.  Weird...

Krizonar

Quote from: Red-Machine on January 27, 2012, 04:19:01 PM

Quote from: Krizonar on January 27, 2012, 04:13:19 PM

It usually has WordPad set as the default if you don't have Word installed.  Weird...
I've learned to overlook these types of things.

Chocofreak13

evidently you have.
as for what .chm files are used for, it's a microsoft compiled html help file. the most basic example in this case is the windows help file included with the system (i guess they got rid of it in vista and up? weird, no wonder i prefer the "older" systems), but the file i'm talking about is actually the textbook for this class. he gave it to us in that format so we wouldn't have to purchase the book. another teacher told us about a site where we can download our textbook by saving it page by page. tedious yes, but worth it.
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Guess who bought himself this lovely new headset with his first paycheck?

THIS GUY.

Chocofreak13

awesome. i wish i could afford new headphones. :\
click to make it bigger