What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Actually, got it assembled... thank god for amateur engineers. -w-

Now I just have to find someone to put on it - i was going to make it Eve's desk, but I kinda like having her on a coffee table in front of the couch... is easier to use the computer and watch TV at the same time. >>;; Maybe I'll haul Snow up here and let that be her desk (assuming she still works, those Emac's are notorious for fatal power supply issues.) :/

EDIT:

The eMac still works, but it's way too freaking heavy for the desk. Maybe I'll put my G3 iMac on there.

BUT: My G3 iMac's firmware is FUBAR. It used to run perfectly under OS9.2, but then when I tried booting it into OSX (which was also on its HDD) the screen quit working. After that, I couldn't boot it either. I replaced the CMOS battery and it was able to boot into OSX, but the screen still won't work.

Anybody here have any ideas as to how i can fix it?

Krizonar

Lots of those old CRTS have probably given out by now.

Perhaps resetting the pram could change something?

Command+Option+P+R on startup

Bella

Pretty sure it's not a hardware issue, but a software/firmware one. Seriously, it ran fine until I booted it into god damned OSX.

And all the help guides I can find for resolving OSX-induced firmware-level issues involve slot-loading iMacs, not tray-loading ones. -__-

Chocofreak13

google it. or try his suggestion. it couldn't hurt. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Can't resetting the PRAM pretty much destroy the computer though?

I already googled it, all I turned up were "instructions" for fixing slot-loading G3 iMacs. This one is a first-generation tray-loading model...

Chocofreak13

be more specific about the search parameters? :\
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on January 18, 2012, 06:49:58 PM
Can't resetting the PRAM pretty much destroy the computer though?
not at all

Bella

I guess I'll give it a shot then. -w-

Red-Machine

Quote from: Bella on January 18, 2012, 06:02:33 PMIt used to run perfectly under OS9.2, but then when I tried booting it into OSX (which was also on its HDD) the screen quit working.

There's your problem.  You need to upgrade the firmware on G3 iMacs before installing OS X otherwise its screen refresh algorithm will destroy the CRT.  The upgrade basically patches the GPU's BIOS to make it compatible.  I'm afraid you're shit outta luck...
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

How on earth did the last user get OSX installed and use it then? I know somebody else has OSX working on in in the past, since it had a custom voice greeting set up...

Chocofreak13

*raises hand*

Quincey the imac is running Panther successfully......
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Bulbasaur ran Panther without any problems, although it's screen died from age when I had it on OS9 toward the end

Chocofreak13

i'm likely going to downgrade quincey anyway. :\
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on January 18, 2012, 09:17:17 PM
*raises hand*

Quincey the imac is running Panther successfully......

He either has the firmware upgrade, OR you're one of the lucky ones.  My first iMac G3 had Panther, but DIDN'T have the firmware update; the screen was still iffy though.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

i'm going to assume it's the latter and do what i said before at the first opportunity. :\
click to make it bigger