What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

@Red: True. The BIOS is quicker than trying to remove the heatsink and fan

Chocofreak13

i was thinking of doing that. install XP on a drive then have it read both to see which is better.

that said, both have expansion slots, but if you mean the brown extra slot that's on some boards, neither one has it. (i think i've only had one motherboard with that.)
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

You mean install XP on a drive in machine A, look at the specs.  Then transplant the drive into machine B and check the specs?

You can't do that.  XP will refuse to boot.  You'll have to install it on each machine.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

Yeah, I mean the brown slot. That would be AGP

Chocofreak13

@pentium: neither has it. i don't have any legacy cards, so it doesn't matter to me.

@red: guess i'll have to pick one without knowing that. unless i feel like installing XP twice. which sounds like a pain in the ass, tbh.
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Just stick ubuntu on a flash drive or Mini XP on a flash drive and boot from it, thats how my dad does it.

let me find the link for Mini XP for you then you can use it.

Chocofreak13

idk if these support usb support. plus, i'm less experienced in usb booting than you guys. i'll likely just haul out the monitor in the closet and use it. :\
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on January 15, 2012, 02:53:02 PM
i'm less experienced in usb booting than you guys.

Step by step instructions for booting from a USB!

1. Get tat USB! (preloaded with OS)
2. Shove that sucka in there (The USB port, duh)
3. Slap that bitch (Turn on comp)
4. Slam down F12 with the force of a thousand suns (Litterly, mash that bitch up) [Depending on the system, F11 might be what you want to slap]
5. Select the boot device as USB (May require logical thinking, contact your doctor if unsure about this requirement)
6. Sit there are watch the magic happen (No, there is none of that magical poney friendship crap going on. If you want that, go to the interwebz)

You now have the knowledge to boot from a USB, congrats.

Also, If you want to look at the bios you don't need to install an OS. You just have to have all the nessisary components plugged into it (CPU, RAM, Video, Power, etc.). No Hard drive or OS is needed to view these things, so just try to get it to start up properly before going into the OS stage.

NejinOniwa

Quote2: J-J-JAM IT IN
Fixed that for you, brotha.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Dr. Kraus

Chocofreak13

gotta love the synchronicity of the bromance going on here. -w-

that said, idk how to install to the drive. :3

at this point i don't even think i have a working monitor, so there's other things to worry about. >>;
click to make it bigger

Paul

Well, I've got a Neoware at home myself... usually those come with a small embedded Linux inside that hase a nice GUI for connections. AFAIK it supports ICA (Citrix, won't do you any good), Windows RDP (Could be interesting if you have a windows server or just want to connect to a remote winbox,) and SSH (for Linux).
I mostly used it for the SSH connections, but I guess in your case RDP would be better

Chocofreak13

that could work nicely, but can two people be on the same desktop at the same time with that?
click to make it bigger

Bella

>Putting together glass + aluminum computer desk with no instructions

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger