What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

I almost bought a netbook running CE once, just to tinker with it. It'd be no substitute for Asagi, or Sonata for that matter, but it'd likely be fun to mess around with if I bought one for next to nothing :3

Chocofreak13

i'd do that, but i don't have the time or budget to. i need a functional netbook for school. :\

if it can't run gimp, and run it smoothly (i'm not talking star quality but i don't want it crashing every three seconds), then i'm not interested.

it would likely need capability for similar programs, since idk what i'm doing this semester. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Red-Machine on January 05, 2012, 05:55:03 PM
My brother has that drive Bells.  Good buy.

Good to hear. ^^

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on January 05, 2012, 10:35:13 PM
i'd do that, but i don't have the time or budget to. i need a functional netbook for school. :\

if it can't run gimp, and run it smoothly (i'm not talking star quality but i don't want it crashing every three seconds), then i'm not interested.

it would likely need capability for similar programs, since idk what i'm doing this semester. :\

I can't advise you on the finding-a-cheap-netbook part (aside from KEEP AN EYE ON CRAIGSLIST, since I see newish, under $200 netbooks pop up on there constantly), but if you want to run the GIMP and other art programs smoothly, you're going to want to find a fairly powerful netbook. I understand being strapped for cash, but remember that you generally get what you pay for ... you might be able to find an amazing deal if you wait awhile and vigilantly check craigslist and any nearby used computer and electronics shops, but if you need something sooner, you're probably going to have to spend more than you'd like to at the moment. : \

Chocofreak13

then i'm likely not getting one. ><;; i can't ask my parents, and since my grandparents aren't around i can't earn money from them.

guess i'm screwed, guys~~
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I can continue checking locally, in case one in your price range pops up, or by some off-chance one lands in my lap for free

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Krizonar

I'd just flat out give you my netbook, but someone else is currently using it (though I don't think they will be for very long).

Nanami has been given a web browser (Chrome, as it's the fastest on Windows) and her own im clients, I also decided to get her some monitoring gadgets, clean up the system and make her easy(er) to use via preferences.. Mostly as a reward for successfully overclocking to 4.0 Ghz and remaining stable, but also due to Pentium making me (ew) bond with this... PC.

Nichi

Nothing wrong with that at all, man. If you have it in your fleet, you might as well have it setup just in case you'll ever need it :3

Krizonar

I'd copy my music and movies to it too if it could read my external drive or my flash drive.

Red-Machine

Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

Quote from: Krizonar on January 08, 2012, 04:38:33 AM
I'd just flat out give you my netbook, but someone else is currently using it (though I don't think they will be for very long).

That's really generous of you, Kriz. ^.^

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on January 08, 2012, 11:42:17 AM
Quote from: Krizonar on January 08, 2012, 04:38:33 AM

That's really generous of you, Kriz. ^.^
I tend to lend that piece of cra- I mean, the little thing out frequently.

Intel atom 350 mhz
128 mb ram
2gb hardrive

heck yeah baby, so netbooky that it's a netnetbook.

Quote from: Red-Machine on January 08, 2012, 11:41:12 AM
Let me guess, formatted HFS+?
Of course, it's a more efficient format and when I got them, I could never imagine me copying files to a PC, I didn't own one.

Nichi

I leave my flash drives in FAT, for maximum compatibility. I'd consider HFS+ at least for my iPod, but then I could only use Fuuka with it

Red-Machine

I don't get why Apple doesn't support the industry standard formats.  I can understand Windows not, because HFS+ is hardly in widespread usage.  Some consortium should be formed to look into developing a universal format for external drives.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Krizonar

Apple supports HFS+ and FAT, I just chose the former because it's more efficient and using FAT would've been pointless.