What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

All I want are a new CPU and more RAM.  My GPU is overkill as it is.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Krizonar

More RAM is always good, because there is never enough.

Nichi

Agreed. RAM is like dakka; there's no such thing as too much

So, with some advice from Red, I changed some settings in the BIOS on 2k, to possibly make that SSD work. The good news is that Linux will now boot on 2k with no issues, while the bad news is that both installations of Windows 7 BSOD at startup due to this drastic changes, so now I need to reinstall

Chocofreak13

@pentium: sorry to hear that you can't find a comfortable medium. :\

all i want from a computer is speedy. she was sleek, fast, and ran like a dream. only time she lagged was when i had gimp open with multiple other programs, or when i had large amounts of tabs open (the most i had at once was 75).

she never BSoD'd on me, and she never crashed. would freeze once in awhile, but otherwise she was almost a perfect computer, or at least a perfect fit for me. alas, the poor girl was never meant to be alive, so when i revive her again she can no longer by my main computer. the fact that she's survived this long without catastrophic failure is a miracle, anyway, so i should ease up a bit on the poor girl.

that said, when she gets her new motherboard she'll make a great fleet leader. ^^

for now, TYSONSKITTENS could use some more ram. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, I have 2k half up and running again. 7 is running great now, and soon I'll setup Fedora 16 on the old 80GB HDD that I left in there

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

CaptBrenden

long as we are all dreaming, Id love to upgrade to the 21 inch cintiq  :p
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Krizonar

All I dream about is more RAM. 8 GB was an absolute crap-ton when I got it, now it's only a heck of a lot.

Nichi

Huzzah! 2k is back up and running ^_^

Now, she dual-boots Windows 7 and Fedora 16 (With XFCE), and seems to be running quite well with the SSD now. Now, it all boils down to downloading all the usual software again (Skype, Virtualbox, etc.)

Dr. Kraus

Forgot to post it but I got a brand new ASUS K series laptop for my b-day (back on the 11th)!

Name: Miku (I'm doing most of my Music recording and video editing on this laptop)
CPU: Intel Core i5 2nd Gen Quad-core (2.40 Ghz)
RAM: 4GB
Graphics: Basic Intel HD Graphics (I don't really care due to this being a mobile system and I only play hardcore games on my desktop rig)

Bella

Sounds nice dude. : D

My next new(ish) computer will probably be a laptop, cause I miss having a computer i could take with me... I've considered looking into a Windows computer (if the price is right), but I thinking I should get another Mac, since I've gotten so accustomed to it (and besides, I can always install Windows on an Apple computer, but getting OSX on a Windows machine is a lot more difficult).

Red-Machine

Get a used Air with Snow Leopard.  No Rosetta support on Lion.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Krizonar

What would you use Rosetta for in this day and age?

Though Bella would undoubtedly buy a Snow Leopard computer regardless.

Bella

Quote from: Krizonar on December 15, 2011, 06:13:12 PM
What would you use Rosetta for in this day and age?

Though Bella would undoubtedly by a Snow Leopard computer regardless.

I don't think I've ever had to use a PPC application... so yeah...

For sure, even if I got a computer with Lion I'd probably install SL on it... 'w'

Krizonar

I'd used a few PPC applications on my Mac mini all those years ago, but those have been pretty much extinct since Leopard had been out for a year. By the time Snow Leopard rolled around, any competent developer had at least updated their software to be Universal (which works regardless of Rosetta).

I also might be getting a new computer soon, as there's a present under (ok, the tree is sitting on it) that could only be a G5 Power Mac.