What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

I feel kind of regretful for not contacting that dude who was selling a pair of PDP-8s on Craigslist now. .___.;

Nichi

So, I spent the day tinkering with both Neptune 5111 and Whistler 2296, and learned some interesting things:

- Neither of them run well in Virtualbox. They can install, but their inability to use the Windows 2000 Guest Additions limits them to a 640x480 resolution with 16 colors. Thus, I had Prinny (My desktop that will eventually run Fedora 16) handle the task of running these prototype OSes

- With Whistler, the default theme (Named "Professional" in this version, but sometimes referred to as "Watercolors") looks nicer than the default XP theme. But, it's not as sexy as Royale Noir

- With Neptune, you are allowed to "upgrade" to it from Whistler 2296, or even Windows XP SP3. Aside from that, it's pretty much Windows 2000 with a few changes here and there; hell, there are still plenty of screens that still say "Windows 2000 Professional"

Red-Machine

Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

@pentium: sounds cool. ^^ screenshots if you can get a chance, please. :3

over my school vacation i hope to fix up the fleet, getting everyone in working order. :3
that said, i'm also considering adding yet another computer to the mix, (hopefully a small one), so that i can run openartist (figured since i have ideas for videos now, i'm gonna need a linux incarnation to run cinnerella). if i'm aiming to run one linux art program, why not run them all? :3
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Aw man, that would've saved me a lot of time and parts aggregating.  Then again, I sill half expect to find a PDP-11 hidden in the basement around here somewhere.

Chocofreak13

the coolest find i have is quincy. you guys and your obscure random computer finds.... >>;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Red-Machine on December 12, 2011, 03:12:03 AM
You guys might be interested in this:

http://www.grc.com/pdp-8/pdp-8.htm
http://www.grc.com/pdp-8/yourown-sbc.htm

Seen this before. I wish I had the $600 to spend on something like that. :/

Quote from: stewartsage on December 12, 2011, 06:16:26 PM
Aw man, that would've saved me a lot of time and parts aggregating.  Then again, I sill half expect to find a PDP-11 hidden in the basement around here somewhere.

I know, right? If I'd known PDP-8s were still so prevalent in the collector community I may've emailed the guy. >>;

If you find a PDP-11, what are you going to do with it? Take it out of the basement one piece at a time? :/

CaptBrenden

Ah since its been forever since I was here,
Im now running on windows7 pro, with an Intel Core i& 3.7ghz hyperthreaded quad core, an Nvidia Geforce GTX480, 24gigs of ram, (3) 3TB 7200rpm hard drives, dual monitor set up with a 21inch 1080p monitor and a Wacom Cintiq 12wx tablet (with an Intous4 medium for back up and travel).  First computer I've ever built from scratch, with lots of advice from RedMachine
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Nichi

@Capt: Is that a Sandy Bridge i7, by any chance?

I actually just built my own PC this year, too; which I'm using right now ^_^

CaptBrenden

Looking, I dont belive so. Like I said, just started building computers and Im learning. A quick net search and checking my original invoices for parts, I do believe I have one of the older ones.

Nichi

Ah. Still quite nice, and very comparable to my latest build:

Main desktop: Custom (All-new equipment)
Name: 2k-tan (It's pretty obvious where this name came from, even if it doesn't run on Windows 2000 natively)
Processor: Intel Core i7 (3.4Ghz quad-core)
RAM: 16GB
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6850
Hard drives: 80GB internal (Main - carryover from her predecessor), 500GB internal (For the games and other software), 1TB external (For my stories, photos, and such)

CaptBrenden

Mines named sheila, cus shes a tank. 
My i5 core laptop is named Ran-chama cus computers are like shikigami.

Red-Machine

Nope, it's a Nehalem i7.

I'm gonna be upgrading mine soon, plan to put some form of i7 in it, too.

CaptBrenden

Except the basics I still have to look at system info to remember what parts i have in mine, but you seem to memorize them, whats in mine I mean ... its crazy

Red-Machine

Well, it helps that I specced it out for you. ;)

That, and I'm good with stuff like that.  I can even remember the first chipset to support the Core2 series. :3