What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

16gb ram?

That's decadent. *__* (Or, would have been, if you'd gotten it...)

Nichi

Yep. I do plan on eventually going that far, but I'll wait for now.

But, I did order 1GB of RAM for Project Penguin (My low-budget Athlon build). Now, I'm trying to decide wither to use Ubuntu or Fedora on it; I'm leaning toward the former (Already have a CD for it, but it's an older version), but I'd like to try out the latter...

Nichi

(Warranting a double post)

So, I learned some interesting things over the weekend:

- 2k-tan is incapable of booting any version of Linux I have on hand (Ubuntu, Fedora, the funky version made by the motherboard manufacturer, and Damn Small Linux all crash epically to BusyBox or something similar). However, she could run Windows 2000 natively...if she had support for an internal floppy drive; so I could get the SATA drivers on there.

- Project Penguin has hit a brick wall with the lack of a case; every one I have is either missing the hard drive caddy (Every single one using a completely different setup to mount in the case) or is too small to house a standard size power supply. I've found one on eBay I'm thinking about buying, but I'm going to wait for now. It does look nice, but the case it black; which my beige floppy drives would stick out like a sore thumb if I put them in.

Nichi

According to what I read, she does use UEFI, so I'll check in the settings to see if maybe Secure Boot is enabled

EDIT:
There's nothing anywhere in the BIOS that mentions Secure Boot, so I don't know why it wouldn't work

EDIT2:
The error I'm getting, in case anybody knows what may be going on, says something about "ata4" not responding. Thing is, I'm only using the first 3 SATA ports; so I don't know why the lack of a drive on the 4th or any other ones would cause this problem.
I'd test to make sure it isn't the processor, but I'm not about to spend $50 just to disgrace 2k by replacing her i7 with a Celeron for any reason

Nichi

Well, Project Penguin was a failure; the motherboard dieing on me earlier while I was trying to see if maybe I was able to successfully remove the password lock from the BIOS. But, the RAM I ordered can be used in my dad's desktop, so it's no big loss.

Also, I though of a possible solution to 2k's problem with Linux. The versions I'm testing with are 32-bit, so why not try a 64-bit version? It does have a 64-bit processor, so it's worth a shot

Paul

So I'm currntly in the process of selling most of my computers since I don't really have the room and time to mess around :/
The Bladecenter is already gone, next up will be the p275 and 285.
The only RISCies I'm keeping are the SGIs (Yuzuki, Taiga and Shion), as well as the PP250 (Deneb). And Yoruichi (the C8000) will prolly stay too because I won't get much money for her...

Paul

@Pentium: What year is 2K-tan from? EFI is highly unusual even now.

Edit: whoops, double post, sry.

Nichi

@Paul: 2k was built in March 2011

Also, I still have no idea what the problem is. Even the 64-bit version crashes with the same exact error

NejinOniwa

Madies and Lentlegen, I present to you...

NeoN-OMEGA, version 0.8.1.

ASUS PZ68-V PRO/GEN3
Intel 2500K @ 3,3GHz x4
2GB Corsair 1333MHz memory (salvage from DELTA)
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6950 1GB
Samsung Spinpoint 500GB (salvage from DELTA)
DELTA chassis
DELTA Win7 build (obviously because I haven't reinstalled anything)
TPLink USB Wireless-N card

PENDING CHANGES: 4GB of RAM to be added, the ones I got from my brother for bday were faulty so imma have him exchange them for new ones and install.
60GB of SSD to be added, buying it off one of my half-brit bros for 200 FUCKING KRONOR (that's a fucking robbery, man!) which I am terribly grateful of. Upon which I will install a new Win7 build.
1x DVD/BD/Any sort of optical media drive to be added, since my old one was an IDE drive and this mobo has no such ports. Ah, such is life.

So, well. Say hello to OMEGA, friends.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

*applause* :3

(tomorrow, we're likely going to take speedy to the doctor. it'll be 40 bucks just for the evaluation, but if they can save her, it'll be worth it 100 times over.)
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

BTW: now fixed her network as well. Sort of. The USB ports are still having some hiccups, but I have enough of those to spare...

POSTING FROM AN OMEGA, LIKE A BAWWWS

Nichi

@Nej: Omega sounds like 2k-tan the Desktop, but with 2MB less L3 cache and .1Ghz slower.

Still, sounds badass >:3

Red-Machine

Quote from: PentiumMMX on November 18, 2011, 06:36:52 PM
@Nej: Omega sounds like 2k-tan the Desktop, but with 2MB less L3 cache and .1Ghz slower.

Still, sounds badass >:3

And no HyperThreading.  I'm gonna get either a 2600K/2700K or a Sandybridge-Enthusiast setup if my wallet can stretch to it.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

Oh, watch me care. Processors have NEVER been an issue here - it's just RAM capacity (way too low) and drives (being screwy and no ssd) now.