What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

So the version of DOS used on the unnamed desktop is CCI Concurrent DOS, which judging by the copyrights on it, is built off of DR-DOS. It would make for an interesting OS-tan, and one I know Nej would like (Given this version is apparently designed to handle laboratory equipment, she'd be wearing a labcoat)

Chocofreak13

sounds cool dude. make sure you save her~~~
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I made a boot disk of this version, so now I can reformat the hard drive and go with the plan of putting 98SE on here

EDIT:
Also, stumbled onto this site, which makes mentioning of this version of DOS

Chocofreak13

yeesh, that's a jumble of text. can't read it. ><;

other than that, i like the name you picked for her. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, now that I've made a few changes and gave it a name, here's a rundown of the specs:

Penti-chan (As a nod back to PentiumMMX the Laptop, without outright naming her "PentiumMMX")
CPU: Pentium MMX (233Mhz)
RAM: 32MB
Hard drive: 2GB
Graphics: Something integrated
OS: Windows 98SE (Was running CCI Concurrent DOS, which I made a boot disk of)

Chocofreak13

sounds good, dude.

http://openartisthq.org/wordpress/?page_id=96

hoping to make a usb of this. :\ any one willing to help me?
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on October 21, 2011, 08:59:50 PM
sounds good, dude.

http://openartisthq.org/wordpress/?page_id=96

hoping to make a usb of this. :\ any one willing to help me?

I can help you out with that tomorrow, for now I must get some sleep.

~Science

Bella

@Pentium: Whoa, Concurrent Multiuser DOS? That's pretty old/rare, I think. :o

@Kari: Looks like Kraus has volunteered to help, but Nej might be able to give guidance as well. He's made and used live thumb drives before.

Chocofreak13

thanks, it'll really help to have all those programs on the go.

EDIT: i should just give up on linux. can't figure it out to save my life.
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Linux is pretty easy when you can handle the cmd,

sorry for being late on the steps but here is how you make a bootable USB:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

there you go, real easy!

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on October 22, 2011, 09:56:46 AM
EDIT: i should just give up on linux. can't figure it out to save my life.

Don't give up. Using Linux isn't difficult; installing Linux when you have no previous experience IS. If you can make that live USB drive, the hardest part will be over (IMO).

Red-Machine

Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

So, in the lot of computers I got for free yesterday, I obtained one that is still in fully working condition, which I may find some way to induct it into the fleet.

eMachines eTower 766id (Circa '01)
CPU: Celeron (766Mhz)
RAM: 128MB

The PCs I got where mostly in pieces, often missing the power supply and/or RAM, but one thing that caught my attention was this eMachines desktop; aside from the case being a bit rough, the seal of quality on the back was unbroken (Which it has to be broken in order to open the case). So, I hooked it up and turned it on; finding that it works quite well, only needing the hard drive reformatted. I may have previously said that Frankenstein Classic is the only Celeron-based desktop allowed in the fleet, but I've considered making an exception, because I kind of feel sorry for this one.

Chocofreak13

don't abandon the poor dear. :[

@red: that's where the trouble began.

@kraus: thankyou.  i'll try to get something done with it if i have time this weekend. ^^
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I think I'll probably keep it around. Just need a name for it...

Also, another thing I found in this lot is a motherboard with an AMD Athlon processor (Believed to be a 2Ghz one) that's going to be the base for my next project; a new edition of Frankenstein. V3 will remaining as it is, though; this will be a brand new fork in the series

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is that I'll be ordering the final wave of RAM for 2k-tan the Desktop. She's going to have 16GB; complete and utter overkill, which is just how I like it

EDIT2: Well, I ended up missing out on the sale on the RAM for 2k, because t was taking too long for my paycheck to show up in the bank. So, I'll wait until next time