What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Kraus

About to order up a EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, gotta get this GeForce 9500 GT outta here!

Chocofreak13

went to gather some parts for a project on monday........so many dead husks of computers. it was like walking through a boneyard. o___o;;;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Nice computers Paul - Apple desktops and Thinkpad notebooks, it doesn't get better than that.

Paul

Just replcaing the Motherboard on the Powermac... let me tell you one thing: I'll never want to be an Apple serviceman.

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Paul on October 07, 2011, 07:38:20 AM
Apple serviceman.

I can already tell you that its a load of bollocks.

School library just got three brand new iMac 21-inch in, they kicked me out after switching the boot protocol to administrator allowing anyone to have admin rights as long as they are on that specific Macintosh. They said that if I didn't revert it (because everyone in the tech department is stupid and arrogant) I would lose all my computer rights for the year... wankas need to learn that a seasoned Macintosh user such as myself can cripple their admin rights like they were never even there! I'm going to be having a decent amount of fun with the school's Macintosh computers...

Quite easy to do it, just follow these instructions:
Shut down the computer if it is on.
-> Press the power button to start the computer.
-> Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and the "s" key for single-user mode.
-> Type "mount -uw /" and press return.
-> Type "passwd" and press return.
-> Enter new password (this will be for the root user account) and press return.
-> Type "reboot" and press return.
-> Enter Account settings and when prompted for administrator account and password, use the user name root and the password you just setup
-> Check box for you standard account to administrate box
-> If all goes well you are admin again.
I will add to this, please DISABLE the root account after you do this, or at very least, use a good, strong password."     

NejinOniwa

I am totally doing this the next time I come across an offending Mac... =w=
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Paul

bah, seema like it wasn't the motherboard but the PSU. So now I'm stuck with two motherboards but no working PSU...
I'll probaly sell that computer because I'm in no position to justify spending another 100 bucks on the PSU

Dr. Kraus

running some Windows 8 Developer Preview in VB

Some cool stuff!

Nichi

I wouldn't mind trying out Windows 8, but I bet that preview is a gigantic download

Dr. Kraus

Nichi

There's no way I can download that at home. Maybe if I where to hide Fuuka somewhere in my grandma's office to download it while I'm at work, since she has such an awesome internet connection...

Dr. Kraus

Yea, even on my internet connection it took around an hour which is pretty long for downloading something on my connection.

Currently running Ubuntu on my laptop, it seems to like it much more than Windows 7 Ultimate right now so i'm going to do the following:

-> Rip this really small HDD out
-> Put in large HDD
-> Install a really small partition of Windows 7 Ultimate x64
-> Install a really large partition of Ubuntu
-> Use Ubuntu for everything but word processing and a few other things
-> Use Windows 7 Ultimate for Microsoft Office Suite and a handful of other things.

Chocofreak13

i'm going to stay as far away from windows 8 as i can.

@kraus: thanks for that handy guide. if i ever get expelled from my school, i'll make sure to leave that as a parting gift for them....on every mac in the school.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, a new member of the fleet joined this week. Here's the rundown on this currently unnamed desktop:

Unnamed desktop (No brand name; possibly custom?)
CPU: Pentium MMX (233Mhz)
RAM: 16MB
Hard drive: Unknown, but there
Graphics: Something integrated
OS: Some funky version of DOS that's apparently designed to handle laboratory equipment

This was a desktop the lab at work was going to have thrown out, because of how old it is (The IT department would have no interest in it, and if it got to them before me, their director (Who sells off the old PCs after they upgrade them) would refuse to sell it to me because "You no want; this junk", which over a year prior caused me to miss out on the first Pentium Pro-based desktop I had seen in my life, which I wanted). When I saw the sticker on the case saying it had a Pentium MMX inside and heard they where going to throw it out, I knew that I had to take it in under my wing.

It works quite well, although I barely know anything about it's specs aside from processor and RAM. I plan on, after making a backup of this version of DOS (Since I've never heard of it, I should probably preserve it in case it's something truly rare and unusual...or just something that would be fun to experiment with), installing a DVD drive (Since I have a spare lying around from TARDIS) and installing Windows 98SE on it (Not enough RAM to support Windows 2000...yet, at least)

EDIT: I meant to ask this in this post, but does anyone have any suggestions on a name for this PC?

Chocofreak13

why does the name "alice" stick out to me....?

that said, i'm curious about this version of DOS. could we have a new member of the DOSSE? :3
click to make it bigger