What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Paul

Bella

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

And that article doesn't even take into account the eminence of Linux in the server market, where it accounts for more than 70% of the usage share; among mainframes, where Linux on System Z makes up about 28% of the market; and supercomputers, where Linux-powered machines have an incredible 91% of usage share (and Windows occupies a little over 1%).

This Unix assimilation plot is going QUITE nicely. -w-

Red-Machine

Quote from: Paul on September 26, 2011, 01:19:53 PM
PowerMac G5!!!! (PPC970 = G5) xP

Yes, I knew.  I just wanted to be funny, because the answer was stupidly obvious.  I clearly failed.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

So, I decided to do some mathing to see what kind of market share Unix has... here's what I turned up....

Unix on home computers: 12.94%
Tablets: 91%
Smartphones: 61%
Servers:  79.64%
Mainframes: 28% (this is for Linux on System Z ONLY. It would be closer to ~95% if you believe Unix System Services makes z/OS a unix-like)
Supercomputers: 95.6%

So, Unix has either 72.6% of the market (if you believe z/OS should be counted as Unix-like) or 61.5% of the market (if you only count Linux on System Z and disregard the integral Unix environment that runs in z/OS and other Unix OSes that run on IBM mainframes.)

Paul

The PowerMac is here!

But something's faulty... when pushing the power button the relay in the PSU releases and the fans twitch, but then the relay clicks again and nothing happens. From what I've gathered that is because of an overload - and that could mean a lot of things... either the PSU is faulty, or some other component is. I've already tried lots of things like disassembling everything (those heatsinks on the G5 are BIG!), switching the CPUs, removing gfx - nothing up to now. My last hope is that it has something to do with the dead PRAM battery.
Else I'm gonna have to disassemble the PSU and check with a multimeter if something there's faulty. And new PSUs are expensive -.-

Oh and one thing I've noticed: when the fans twitch, the one in the speaker assembly does not. For you mac experts out there: Is that normal, or could a faulty connection there be the source of the overload problem?

Paul

Alright, seems like the Motherboard is busted. I just ordered a new one from an US seller, should be there in two weeks or so....

Bella

Glad you figured out what's wrong with it and will be able to fix it. : )

Chocofreak13

dunno if this counts towards the os part of this thread, but i downloaded utau again and have started making new custom themepacks. defoko has a really cute voice if you use it right. she's like japanese GlaDOS. :3
click to make it bigger

Paul

Here's the broken Powermac which, if repairable will act as our class computer. Hostname will probably be Valmont

And this one is my main computer now and called Cynthia:

Nichi

That is one badass laptop. I think Asagi and Sonata are jealous

Paul

I like her quite a lot... She's got that in-your-face look :D

The specs are pretty decent too:
i5-520M
8GB DDR3-Ram
250GB HD with an external 1TB most of the time attached
Intel GMA-HD (lame, but that's not a gaming laptop)

Also she's built like a tank and the battery lasts 3.5h when in use *.*

Nichi

Sounds like a close match to Asagi; as she makes up for lack of processing power and RAM with awesome battery life and a great graphics chipset

Asagi (Compaq Presario CQ61)
CPU: Sempron (2.1Ghz)
RAM: 4GB (Maxed out)
Hard drive: 250GB HDD, with available access to Torchwood Three (2k-tan the Desktop's 1TB external)
Graphics: AMD Mobile Radeon 4200
Battery life: Approx. 5 hours on extended battery (1.5 hours on her original battery)