Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on September 16, 2011, 02:11:14 PM
early OSX

*pats head*

Teehee, how cute of you.

But, in all seriousness...

Quote from: stewartsage on September 16, 2011, 02:11:14 PM
I like 95, Vista, XP, System 7, early OSX, and some Linux distributions.

I don't get the appeal of 95 but I've never used it extensively so I shouldn't talk, Vista is cool, XP gets the job done, System 7 is nice, I've been told early OSX sucks in comparison to later OSX (Tiger through Snow Leopard aka The Golden Age of OSX) and the only Linux distro I really like is Ubuntu-based era Mint (and Ubuntu was cool too, before it became so popular /technologyhipster).

Nichi

For me, as much as I like just about every OS I've used, it's all about the killer combo of Snow Leopard and Windows 7. Between those two, there's nothing I can't do*

*For everything else, there's Mac OS 9 and Windows 2000

stewartsage

I've never used anything past, Jaguar I think?  Or regular Leopard?

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on September 16, 2011, 06:26:30 PM
I've never used anything past, Jaguar I think?  Or regular Leopard?

*gaaaaaaaaaasp*

We have to play with Snoooooow Leopaaaaaard when you visit. @__@

(Even if you don't visit for several years I'll still be using it, lol.)

Chocofreak13

speedy is broken. it seems that her motherboard crapped out on me again.

considering this is the second time i've had to replace the motherboard (mind you, the first time was my doing), i might be looking into a new computer.

reccomendations.

(i will not take dell, IBM/Lenovo, or Mac as an answer.)

also, does anyone feel like walking me through installing puppy on a flash drive. i need something to do work with while speedy's down. (the biggest flash drives i have are 4gb, though i'm willing to buy a new, bigger one for this purpose.)
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on September 17, 2011, 12:11:55 PM
(i will not take dell, IBM/Lenovo, or Mac as an answer.)

Well, damn. You've taken the best three hardware (and software for the last one) manufacturers of the last decade out of the running (which are incidentally my three favorite), so I'm not going to be able to recommend anything.

Quotealso, does anyone feel like walking me through installing puppy on a flash drive. i need something to do work with while speedy's down. (the biggest flash drives i have are 4gb, though i'm willing to buy a new, bigger one for this purpose.)

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Download Unetbootin for Windows.

Select the distro you want, and the target drive.

VOILA~

(Disclaimer: I have never actually gotten a computer to boot from a flash drive... the computer typically needs to have super special BIOS settings in order for it to work)

Chocofreak13

thanks. :3

also, i'm picky because
1. i already have an IBM, don't need another
2. Dells are cheap
3. i hate macs and refuse to pay for one (outside of gothpod cause i love her).
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on September 17, 2011, 01:19:39 PM
1. i already have an IBM, don't need another
2. Dells are cheap

Does the IBM work well? Since that could be a sign you should get another. (Even if they're called "Lenovo" now.)

Dells aren't "cheap" unless you buy a "cheap" model. >____<;

Nichi

Go with a Compaq. Asagi and Laptop insist

stewartsage

Booting from a flash drive isn't hard, I mean, I can pull it off and I have the booting skillz of a duck.  Just set the priority in your BIOS settings to Flash Drive first, plug it in, and go.

Also: I've owned five Dells.  The oldest ('95) still works perfectly, the second desktop is slow only because it has low memory running XP and we've been too lazy to fix that, seven year old secondhand laptop that still works, and my Katharine WHO FELL OFF A DESK and still works.  I still endorse a good model of Dell.

And recommend against Compaq and Vaio

Bella

Quote from: stewartsage on September 17, 2011, 06:20:37 PM
Booting from a flash drive isn't hard, I mean, I can pull it off and I have the booting skillz of a duck.  Just set the priority in your BIOS settings to Flash Drive first, plug it in, and go.

How new were the computers you booted from a flash drive? Mine were all pre-2005, and had no boot from USB setting.

I'm continuing to stand by Dell and IBM/Lenovo
As for recommendations against... HP, Compaq and eMachines (eMachines isn't even around anymore, though, it got incorporated into Acer IIRC).

NejinOniwa

Well, you all know where I stand on this - homebrews or Acers. In this case, go with the latter.

And deeply recommending against Vaio crap. It's utter fishwad.
Could go on about the rest of the Shit tier, but that'd be a loooong rant. So I won't.

Dells are decent, but nothing special afaik. They usually work, but they can just as easily catch your common computer cold as any other comp can.
As for USB Flashdrive booting, it depends on the motherboard, since ALPHA had a setting for it (she was made in 2002 i think) and all comps after her in my household has had it as well. I've never run across a somewhat recent laptop without it. As for the installation itself: puppy linux itself comes with a built-in installer tool, that installs to any medium you want - flashdrive, harddrive, cd or whatever. Use it to your advantage. -w-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

thanks for the advice. i'm going to use mel's loaner comptuer for the time being, an HP with xp pro on it.

dells are meh. maybe i was a bit hard on them, but i always found them a tad too cookie cutter for my taste. the majority of PC users are using dells, and since i already have the stigma of being a windows user at my school, i don't want to make it any worse.

i like IBM. they're good, solid computers. i have one and it works like a charm. but they sold out to lenovo, and i don't like that. makes them feel cheaper somehow. plus (ik this sounds superficial don't judge me) i'm not too fond of the asthetics. they're a bit too pointy for my taste, and the button-mouse that comes standard on all thinkpads is a bit of a novelty, but not good for regular use. i can get alright control with a trackpad, but there are times when i can't have my mouse plugged in and i fall back on the finger-paint-like control of the trackpad.

i have multiple issues with mac computers that you all know about, so i don't feel the need to expand on it.

as for HP, i like them. yes, they're prone to overheating and frying their own consoles, which is annoying as hell, but every computer is going to have its flaw. once you get past that, they're really nice computers from my experience. the newer ones even have failsafes in place to avoid the problems associated with overheating. i fell in love with speedy at first sight, and was and am willing to put up with the problems she has to keep her around. (if you want an example, take the baker from chobits and his persocom wife.)

i was considering alienware because while they're dell, they're like dell+; good gaming performance translates into good art performance. pricey yes, but i'll admit that dells are fairly solid PCs, so like bella said about her imac, it's something that'll likely be with me for years to come.
click to make it bigger

Paul

I don't want to go into many details yet, but let's just say that a very, very beautiful computer is coming soon. Built in 2004, it sports a really sexy aluminium case, with a characteristic aluminium mesh in the front. It's got two characteristic handles, and on the inside we have two 1.8GHz IBM PPC970 (although the company that made it renamed the CPU). And on the sides there's the trademark logo everyone's crazy about. Another little hint: this computer does love all sorts of cats, but has problems with lions and snow leopards :P