What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

pretty cool, and it's a bit rare, so it'd be interesting to add to your collection. :3
click to make it bigger

svx

@choco  Name your next computer "Nyanbox" plz thx!

Chocofreak13

but it wouldn't fit the theme ;^;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Chocofreak13

maybe Nyanny. :3 (that'd be cute if she was a server or drive bay, since she'd be like the caretaker of the others. ^^)

EDIT: guys, i broke my mom's computer. god knows how, since the last thing i was doing on it before it crashed was browsing with 5 tabs.

here's the stats: it's a dell inspiron from about 03, running xp pro sp3. it was set up to run scans every week (i believe), and before it crashed, i had firefox open with 5 tabs. it froze, and after a minute or two quickly flashed a blue screen before rebooting, then saying "windows was unexpectedly shut down" and giving me the options of safe mode, last known good config, start windows normally, etc. i tried normally, which ended up putting on the startup screen and just leaving it like that in a loop. i ended up trying last known good config, which did the same thing.

i turned it on earlier, and tried safe mode....which seemed to do something, till it just listed a bunch of files from system32 and then just sorta froze.
same goes for safe mode with command prompt, while start windows normally and last know good config just rebooted it.

i really don't want to have to reinstall, but that is an option. but if i can fix it without it, i'd like to.
click to make it bigger

svx

I'm not much of a Windows guy, but...

You might try booting a USB drive/CD/DVD/Sony(TM) BluRay(TM)(C)(R) Disc with Windows on it, and using the Repair button...  I've saved a few friends that way :p

NOTICE:

"Sony(TM) BluRay(TM)(C)(R) Disc", "Disc", "BluRay", "(TM)", "SONY", and "booting" are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment America, and may not be used in written, verbal, or telepathic communication between humans, robots, or animals without the express written permission of Sony Computer Entertainment America's Corporate Permission Corporation, INC.  The author of this post is not associated with Sony Computer Entertainment America, nor does he condone the use of the words "BluRay", "Sony", "(TM)", "booting", "COMPUTER", or "NOTICE".

Nichi

What svx said; pop in your XP installation disc and choose to repair your current installation

Chocofreak13

good, thanks guys. ^^; been awhile since i've done this.
click to make it bigger

svx

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on September 01, 2011, 10:56:25 PM
good, thanks guys. ^^; been awhile since i've done this.

It's probably the choice of Stein's Gate, IMHO.

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nichi

Well, I'm doing some experimenting with Minefield for the hell of it:

- Formatting the hard drive while MS-DOS is running on said drive, just to see how it acts (Which works surprisingly well, as long as I have a floppy disk with everything I need and don't reset)

- Attempting to shoehorn Windows ME onto it, to see how it acts on a desktop that barely meets the minimum requirements for 98SE (This is going to be fun...)

EDIT: Ok, scratch that last one; ME won't install on it because the processor isn't fast enough. Back to the classic MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11 combination is is...

Red-Machine

The first one is entirely possible.  I've done it myself.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

svx

You could always try installing ME onto the hard disk on another computer, then reattach it...

I bet some of the drivers will flip out though

Red-Machine

Well, 9x isn't so bad, as it has no HAL.  Doing the same with the NT-based OSes is impossible, tho.  The HAL is created based on the architecture of the machine.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

i need DOS help ;^;

i attempted to fix my mum's computer with my XP disk, which didn't work, so i used my 7 disk, which ended up with me finding out that several system files are corrupt or unreadable.

i managed to open a command prompt after, and ran chkdsk, which confirmed that alot of the files are corrupt......but it said the "f" values weren't set, and that chkdsk would run in read-only mode. after 10% of the files being checked, it said it couldn't run in read-only mode anymore.

so i ask you: how (through use of a command prompt) can i get checkdisk to run AND fix the files?
click to make it bigger