What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Red-Machine on August 17, 2011, 06:18:32 PM
Well, latest benches show Bulldozer getting its ass kicked by Sandybridge.  Sandybridge will be replaced by the end of the year.  Think about that for the moment.

Ah screw it, I'm going to play it safe with getting a Core i5 quad, ASUS mobo, and a EVGA GeForce GTX 560. I've had my current system for about 5 years now so its time for another system that will last 10 years.

Red-Machine

Good boy.  I'm looking at getting an i5 2500k myself along with an ASUS Sabertooth P67 mobo soon.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

@Paul: cool! tanky isn't the only thinkpad anymore! >w<

about to update directx to 9, wish me luck. hope this goes smoothly....
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

This just in, HP is getting out of the PC business.

Nichi

All I've seen about that is that HP is going to stop producing tablets and smartphones, not PCs

Red-Machine

They haven't made it official, but it is expected by people who know how the industry works.

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Red-Machine on August 19, 2011, 06:41:46 AM
They haven't made it official, but it is expected by people who know how the industry works.

I approve of this. Good redence HP, I never want to see another one of their crappy cases ever again!

Paul

Yep, most HP cases are indeed crappy. I remember setting up 20 HP 3130 "Pro" computers for the company I was working for... those cases are dirt-cheap, the metal can easily be bent in and they weigh maybe 5 kilograms.
My HP2133 however is nicely built, also the good old C8000.

The PC market surely won't miss them... but it's sad how they managed to flush Palm and WebOS down the drain only 2 years after buying them. I think WebOS looked quite nifty, maybe I'll even get a TouchPad if they are being sold off cheaply.

Nichi

If HP is going to stop making PCs, is Compaq going with them?
Hopefully not. Their laptops are very nice; better than anything Dell offers

Red-Machine

Most likely, though somebody did suggest that HP could spin off the PC part of the company and call it Compaq.

Dr. Kraus

I wish Compaq hadn't been bought out, they made great systems back in the day but now I've only heard complaints about them...

Nichi

Their desktops are ok, but they still make great laptops in my opinion. After all, look at Asagi

Chocofreak13

HP's going out? ;^; i like their computers.....

Currently:

Speedy - Windows 7
Nailbunny - Windows XP Pro
Tanky - Windows 98SE

rocking 3 laptops at once, including my mum's computer (to keep track of the ebay auction).
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Is Nailbunny a new addition to your fleet, or is that your mom's PC?

At the moment, no changes within my fleet aside from Sonata gaining the ability of wifi

Bella

Kari is triple-wielding laptops?

Still using good old Eve... though yesterday at the used book store I might've had a chance to buy an Atari 2600 or something? I'm not an Atari person, I forget if that's the name. A browser at the store asked the shopkeeper (who also fixes and sells computers) if he'd take an Atari 2600... the shopkeeper said it was too old... I raised my hand and said "I will, I collect old computers!" and we talked for a few minutes.

Sounds like a good gaming system, but he doesn't have any old Apple/IBM/Commodore stuff (ie actual fields of interest, so, yeah...