What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krizonar

While the experience was kinda cool, I've had enough of the PC world I've decided :P

this also is not my smoke record. That honor lies with a PC I had in 4th grade. Now THAT was smoke.

Nichi

Well, then I have a 4-step program to solve all issues:

1: Return everything
2: Convert her to a Mac user like yourself
3: ???
4: Profit!

Also, I've never had any of my PCs, or even my sadly dead iMac, smoke. That record goes to a set of speakers; which I plugged too powerful of a power supply into to try and make them work again. They worked better than they ever had...until I heard a loud pop and saw a small trail of smoke come out of the grill; which spelled the end for them

Krizonar

She's not really a computer user, period, she spends more time in games than she does in her OS.
She's fine with her Mac Mini, just I thought it'd be cool for her to have one of those stereotypical gaming rigs.

I explained the situation to her though and she understands, thankfully for me.  :-[ made me feel less terrible about failing.

That computer in 4th grade was smoking up a storm, I apparently burned the entire inside out, charred it black.

edit; found out where the smoke came from, the DVD drive, it was a defective unit, as I thought.

Chocofreak13

@red: when building a pc, i actually find to remove all of them is more useful, as i typically try to affix a fan there :3
@kriz: if you give up that easily, you don't have much balls, dude.
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Two (possibly more) defective parts on one machine that is BRAND new? Yeah, I guess I'm just used to some sort of quality.

Red-Machine

Hey, shit happens, Kirz.  This is electronics we're talking about here.

@Pentium: The first one is what you need.  And the detection tool Intel provides only checks for drivers, not things like RST.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

Well, I tried the RST software, but it won't let me install it; saying that I don't meet the minimum requirements

Chocofreak13

@kriz: don't be a baby. you wouldn't give up if this were a mac, would you?
click to make it bigger

Bella

And this is why I would never build my own PC. It seems so much more economical/easy/I-won't-be-bothered-by-this-shit to just go out and buy a computer, and you know that - depending on the brand - it was probably put together competently and will work fine out of the box. (Plus, my affinity for laptops, all in one models and Apple computers puts building my own out of the question).

@Kari: No name-calling plz? It's rude and it's not helpful at all. -___________-;;;;;;

Chocofreak13

i wasn't trying to do any name calling. i was just saying that giving up so easily (especially since he invested cash into this) seems a tad childish. sure, sometimes things don't work out perfect, but that's when you google it, pick a different port and try again. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Today I went to Best Buy and molested computers/phones/tablets... which is what I usually do when in Best Buy.

Random thoughts:

-I used an iPhone for the first time ever, and now I realllllly want one. (Especially since i no longer have any working laptop, it'd be nice to have a little mobile "computer")

-There are so many *Nix-using phones, PCs and tablets out there, it's interesting that ~40 years after Unix first started to take over the minicomputer market, it's starting to become prominent among home computers (via Android and the various BSD-based Apple OSes).

-Apple laptops have no vents (save a small slot in the rear), how are they not overheating? Did Apple finally master the heat-dissapation-through-aluminum-cases trick they tried with the Apple /// in the 1980s?

Nichi

I used OS/2 Warp 4.0 earlier. I'd probably like it better if the VHD I downloaded didn't have so many issues (It boots up with a lot of errors), the most prominent one being that it's stuck in 16 color mode (Which is just not enough). Also, it's interface is much different than what I'm used to seeing with the previous version I used (OS/2 2.11); so it took a little getting used to.

It'd be nice if I could install this myself, and actually have it better setup...although, finding a working ISO or a hard copy is going to be the tricky part...on top of figuring out why I can't boot from CDs anymore in Virtualbox (It worked when setting up 2k-on-2k Mode, but now it won't let me boot from any external media, physical or disk image, when I try to make a new virtual machine)

Chocofreak13

@pentium: google it? :\ that's usually what i do when i have a tech problem.
@bella: yet another mystery of mac. >>;

when my room gets clean, i plan on installing my music drive into one of the PCs, and using it as a slave to temporarily access it. >>;
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on June 20, 2011, 08:09:38 PM
Today I went to Best Buy and molested computers/phones/tablets... which is what I usually do when in Best Buy.

Random thoughts:

-I used an iPhone for the first time ever, and now I realllllly want one. (Especially since i no longer have any working laptop, it'd be nice to have a little mobile "computer")

-There are so many *Nix-using phones, PCs and tablets out there, it's interesting that ~40 years after Unix first started to take over the minicomputer market, it's starting to become prominent among home computers (via Android and the various BSD-based Apple OSes).

-Apple laptops have no vents (save a small slot in the rear), how are they not overheating? Did Apple finally master the heat-dissapation-through-aluminum-cases trick they tried with the Apple /// in the 1980s?
-typing on one here, yeah,  they're nice to have, though you probably just want an iPod touch, it's a little less advanced (not shaped as well, camera not as good, etc), but it gets the job done.

-As an owner, yes, they have. Ever since the Powerbook G4, they've been quite the masters of heat dissipation via metal, my laptop has one fan it really only uses when playing games and such. I find it amusing when people talk about their computers heat problems and then think of a Macbook Air running Crysis (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-bqbFRsgcI )and cooling itself very well. The temperature in the CPU of my laptop usually sits about 117 F (47C), yet the entire body is, overall, slightly warmer than skin. The Macbook pro is capable of reaching temperatures of 230 F (115C) with no permanent damage. That's about as hot as the engine of a Corvette sitting in traffic, gunning itself. Needless to say, I've never seen mine ever get even close to that, even when rendering HD video.

Chocofreak13

that's something that i'll say impresses me about apple. that is a DAMN good idea (making the entire computer shell a heatsink).
click to make it bigger