What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

I just got it working again; my files are long gone, of course, but I can at least use it again

Chocofreak13

if you upgraded the ram you might be able to get more. like, to a gig or something. doesn't seem TOO expensive....
click to make it bigger

Nichi

That Optiplex can only handle 512MB of RAM, and the money it costs for that much SDRAM is better spent going into Frankenstein

Chocofreak13

eh, alright. if you save it for a few years you might be able to get more for it.....
click to make it bigger

Nichi

If it doesn't sell, I could try hanging onto it longer...although Optiplexes are plentiful around here, so there likely wouldn't be much demand for one

Red-Machine

Well, Dell may SAY that it only supports 512MB.  My Dimension 4550 only officially supports 1GB, but I'm running 2.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Nichi

If it wasn't for the fact I don't feel it's worth putting too much money into, I'd consider seeing if I could push it further with more RAM

Chocofreak13

yeah, it's probably not worth it to sink money into it if you're not going to turn a profit.

you could sell it for parts....
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Yeah, if all else fails I could post a listing on craigslist selling it for parts or something

Chocofreak13

it would suck if it comes down to that, but good luck with it.

i'd feel bad if i did this myself, since i consider it to be like the torturous murder of a computer, but it'd be nice to know how to extract the gold from computer parts. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

I used to be really upset by people scrapping older comps., but now I don't really care what happens to post-mid-1990s, non-Apple-or-IBM computers, as long as they aren't rare or whatever. : /

Of course that's only desktop computers, servers, mainframes, etc. I'd like to see preserved. -w-

Krizonar

I'm still upset by people throwing away Apples, even if they don't work.
Makes me think of Megatron in the 80's TF movie. "but I stiiiiiil function!"

Nichi

I try to avoid parting out something that still works unless, like Crappy, it deserved it; that desktop was so poorly assembled with no care put into any part of it, that it felt more like a mercy kill to tear it down for parts to save Frankenstein Classic.

Chocofreak13

i don't feel bad about recycling computers, as that's recycling. but COMPLETELY RIPPING THE CHIPS APART FOR THE GOLD makes me feel bad. ;^;
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Now that I'm against, unless it's honestly beyond saving; with broken pins and such.