What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nichi

Hope maybe they'll sell this time :3

So, I now finally have this Vaio up and running for my sister. To download drivers, because for some reason Sony.com wouldn't load, I had to go to PlayStation.com and go from there to get to Sony's support page :\

Nichi

Well, if all goes according to plan tomorrow, Asagi II will be assembled and ready to go. Therefore, I'm taking tonight to give Asagi I a good sendoff -w-

Let's just hope Asagi II doesn't end up like Nimue; the less said about that, the better -w-;;

Chocofreak13

I really hope it goes well. Have you got all the parts ready, or what are you looking for?
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Looking for a suitable ThinkPad, comparable to Loly, to take Asagi's place.

Nichi

So, Asagi regenerated into a MacBook (Mid 2007). I intended to go with a ThinkPad, but they barely had any that weren't broken to pieces, but they had a pile of MacBooks they just got in, and Asagi I was almost a similar model before I ended up with the Compaq CQ61, so it seems fitting.

Sadly, the 4GB RAM won't carry over (It won't boot with that inserted; not sure if it's an incompatible type or too much for this model, but apparently I can push to 3GB by unofficial means), so I'm down to the 2GB RAM it came with, but on the same 250GB HDD. Also picked up a second one, just for parts.

Specs:
- 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo
- 2GB RAM
- 250GB HDD (Carry-over from Asagi I)

Bella

Sounds sweet nonetheless! *_____________*

Also, OSC, I have a dilemma and I don't know what to do.... my dad bought me a 2TB WD MyPassport Mac portable HDD, he knew i was looking at a 3TB MyBook but this one was on sale so he got it for me ... on one hand i'm thinking of returning it because I really don't need a portable external HDD and it's not the one I wanted, on the other it's twice the size of my current backup drive. :/

Nichi

I'd use it if I were you. Much space

EDIT: Seems my info was off. Asagi II is a circa '08 MacBook, running a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, and can handle up to 4GB of RAM (Although, why the 4GB from Asagi wouldn't work, IDK).

EDIT2: Decided to install Lion, because why not?

Chocofreak13

Either use it or give it to me. I could use the backup space atm.

Why, you might ask? Well, Loly's drive has shit the bed......again.

GothTouch
iPhone 4
32GB
512MB RAM
ARM-Cortex A8 Processor
iOS6
Opera Mini
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Kari: Save up $55, and buy this. It'll work in Loly :3

Chocofreak13

Thanks man, I planned on it. I'm gonna have to wait and see how things go, though, since a few expenses were going to come up in the coming weeks and I need to prioritize. There's gas money, fixing my tire and saving up for the big party at the end of the month.

At least I was able to get a networking card to claire and found a cable to the dell laptop (Inspiron 1100) i gave her about a year ago. She is in the process of alternatively marveling over how it is still alive and trying to find an OS that will work on it. Since i left the apartment, she had tried XP (its native OS), Fedora, Knoppix, Pinguy (sp?), and Plan 9, none of which have worked so far.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Suggest to her to try Puppy Linux; it'll run on just about anything. Assuming it has a little more muscle, Linux Mint would be well suited to it

Chocofreak13

I was suggesting mint but she thinks it's too old for current releases of mint, since (all of a sudden) mint is trying to compete with the likes of Ubuntu. All she has is newer releases of mint, so yeah.

I think she was considering DSL, but I'll suggest puppy, too. But puppy can be installed, right? All I ever hear about it is live CDs and drive boots and the like. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Puppy is supposed to be able to be installed. Somehow it wouldn't install on Nimue, but that laptop seemed to reject everything :\

Bella

@Kari: Sorry to hear about Loly's HDD failing. Scary stuff. :C

Also, Puppy can be installed. In fact I think it comes with a step-by-step installation manager program. Here's a guide just in case, although be warned, it's ~4 years old now. http://www.puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm

@Genpop: We returned the 2TB external and got a 3TB MyBook for $119.