What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeaflameSD

Quote from: PentiumMMX on April 23, 2013, 01:05:52 PM
If you need a browser, I'd suggest SeaMonkey. It's like a lighter version of Firefox :3
And I believe it has the good ol' Netscape UI.

Nichi

Yep. Looks like Netscape 4.0 \ Mozilla Browser \ Classilla -w-

Simonorged

Okay so I bought a new external hard drive last week and so far have had no problems with it, well... except one.

When I bought it I formated it to NTFS and it worked fine on my laptop, the only thing now is that it wont work on the school computers.
There are three OS types in my classroom:
Xp, Vista, and 7.
My hard drive works on vista and 7 but not on Xp is there a way that I can fix this without reformating or having admin access?
Simon was here :P

Nichi

I don't think there is, short of reformatting from Windows XP

NejinOniwa

That's more likely a problem with the XP computers themselves. Not much to do here I'm afraid.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

LeaflameSD

Have you tried updating the Windows XP drivers for it, if you can?

stewartsage

I still regret updating from Firefox 7

Nichi

I still think the new numbering scheme for Firefox is stupid; if anything, 20.0 is more 4.1 :\

At least SeaMonkey still has a normal numbering scheme, and not adopting the Google Chrome style of "DERP BIG NUMBERZ"

Bella

I think I solved the mystery of Xue's spontaneous serial shutoffs:

Clues: Shut off while on a video call, moderately warm environment (~60F), was running on battery, computer resting on legs (but main intake vent unobstructed)

Symptoms: Three shutoffs in a row

Initial diagnosis: CPU overheating, possible fan malfunction (since it had run very loudly ever since I purchased her)

I started by searching for info on Xue's model overheating and found forum posts here and there, nothing really substantial. Then I discovered that most Asus computers shipped with a program called Power4Gear, which could screw up the fan settings to the point of causing overheating.

I deleted Power4Gear and started monitoring her core temps. Things seemed normal -  her CPU was running within the "average" range for an i3 (not rising above ~130F under load, staying around 104-110F (Core 0) / 90-99F (Core 1) at idle / running "average" applications), her case wasn't heating up like it used to, and the fan was far quieter than it had been before. I

Anyway, the reason I'm writing this post is that today I found out *why* Power4Gear is such a crappy -and potentially destructive- program. Apparently it does the same job as Windows Power Management, but originated on PCs running XP (before Windows Power Management existed) and I guess Asus has kept it around even though it's pretty much unnecessary. According to some forum posts I read, the Power4Gear "Performance" mode sets the minimum processor state at 100% (NOT EVEN KIDDING YOU) and ramps up the fan to compensate for the tons of heat being thrown off by the processor.

What I'm saying with this post is keep an eye on your Windows Power Management settings (I have my minimum CPU state set at 2% and max set at 100%) because it can mess up your system if the settings aren't right.

NejinOniwa

Oh wow, Assus.

This is why Acer is master race...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

damn. glad you figured it out, at the very least. :\

yesterday i found a mac running windows 7. discuss.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I remember joking about wanting to do that for you, when I was building Loly; giving you a MacBook that runs Windows 7 -w-
(You could troll the other students at your school >:3)

Chocofreak13

that would have been awesome. if there's one thing i respect about macs, it's their case. the whole thing is a heatsink. -w-
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Indeed. If I found one cheap enough, I'd consider a MacBook as a successor to Asagi (Which I'd likely run Windows 7 or Linux Mint on, since versions of OSX past Snow Leopard scare me)

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger