What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icelilly

Quote from: "Bella"
QuoteMy XP MCE computer is from e-Machines and I must say it's a great machine!

Woohoo!
*salutes sister-in-eMachines*

QuoteSadly, I think you're right on the crapware. The FIRST thing I do, with any new computer is GET RID of all the bloat, which can take HOURS, and three or four restarts. The E-mach I have, for example, actually had to have part of the bloat removed BECAUSE it caused a conflict with another part (in this case, McAfee and Norton's anti-viruses on the SAME computer!). And then, if you have to do a restore, it puts it all BACK. I've ditched Microsoft Word, Money, AOL, 'service connection', and a LOT more.

I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but it seems that laptops have less crapware than desktops. My eMachines had very few trials, which I promptly got rid of; my family's HP had more; but my friend's HP desktop was positively CRAWLING with junk software.
Laptops don't carry much junk software? That's good to know! My dad is thinking about buying a laptop to replace our 98SE desktop computer so this info would great to pass on to him. When we bought the 98SE in '99 (Holy crap, it was that long ago?! O_O; ), the computer was jam packed with junk software. It wasn't until last year my mother clean out the junk software because:

a) we never EVER used it and
b) our computer was slowing down

When my parents bought me my XP MCE in November, my computer was again filled with junk software but not as much as the 98SE. Maybe it's a Dell thing to pack tons of junk software? o_O;

C-Chan

Don't forget to Reuse/Refurbish/Recycle that old 98SE desktop computer, Lilly-san.  ^.^

But I reckon I'm preaching to the choir.... -v-

grant_p

Speaking of junk software, what do you do when you have something like McAfee on an old computer that's LONG since expired, you're using AVG or the like, but McAfee has no uninstaller?  I've disconnected its auto-starts on startup to make AG work, but it's still cluttering up disk space, and I have no idea what to do about it.

It's a Win98SE if that means anything.

And if  decide to just attack it with a stack of Live-CD's till the exorcism is complete, what's a good Linux distro that'll run on an old Win98 machine with ~80Mg ram?

Bella

QuoteAnd if decide to just attack it with a stack of Live-CD's till the exorcism is complete, what's a good Linux distro that'll run on an old Win98 machine with ~80Mg ram?

Puppy Linux?

I dunno, I've only ran it on a machine w/ a swap partition.

Icelilly

Quote from: "C-Chan"Don't forget to Reuse/Refurbish/Recycle that old 98SE desktop computer, Lilly-san.  ^.^

But I reckon I'm preaching to the choir.... -v-
Don't worry. I won't! :3

C-Chan

QuoteSpeaking of junk software, what do you do when you have something like McAfee on an old computer that's LONG since expired, you're using AVG or the like, but McAfee has no uninstaller? I've disconnected its auto-starts on startup to make AG work, but it's still cluttering up disk space, and I have no idea what to do about it.

It's a Win98SE if that means anything.

Sou sou,.. it seems kinda odd that it doesn't have an uninstaller.  '__'
Oh well, there's more than one way to put skin back onto a cat.  ^__^
(wait, is that how that goes...?)

Best thing to do is to pay a visit to your Win98 Program Files folder and look for the folder that reads McAfee something.  Then just physically delete the whole thing.  -v-
Registry stuff may still remain (nothing that System Mechanic couldn't handle), but at least you won't have to worry about the used up hard disk space.  ^^

QuoteAnd if decide to just attack it with a stack of Live-CD's till the exorcism is complete, what's a good Linux distro that'll run on an old Win98 machine with ~80Mg ram?

Attack?  I only know of a way to clean-up a Windows install through Knoppix, but not sure what you mean per se.  ^^;

As for which LiveCDs could work well on your old rig, glad you asked.  ^V^

As Bella-san touched on, there are plenty of famous distros that can function quite well (even stretch their legs) on computer specs such as yours.

Puppy-chan for one,... I managed to run her on 64megs only, even though 128MB of RAM is recommended (the first thing I did was set up a large swap file).  

Damn Small Linux, on the other hand, really only need 64megs tops, so that could be a good alternative.  ^__^

Naturally, we also have Feather Linux, Zenwalk, Vector Linux (not the newest one), Fluxbuntu,....

And if you're feeling particularly adventurous, feel free to try out to new initiates:

1) LinuxConsole, which presumably works with as little as 16MB of RAM!!

and

2)  AntiX, which is a barebones version of MEPIS designed for older systems.

Xubuntu might be a bit top-heavy, but I've heard success stories with it on old machines, so why not eh?  ^__^

Bottom Line is:  you can toss a ball into a hall filled with Linux Distros-tans and hit 20 or 30 of them that can turn your old machine into a modern 21st century system.  ^___^

(though adding some extra RAM and an ethernet card helps a lot.... -.-)

QuoteDon't worry. I won't! :3

Bless you, Lilly-san.  ^___^

Now then, have you heard it's good luck to give free peach juice to a pig?  ^.^

*extends empty glass*

*wags tail in expectation*  ^___^

Icelilly

Quote from: "C-Chan"

QuoteDon't worry. I won't! :3

Bless you, Lilly-san.  ^___^

Now then, have you heard it's good luck to give free peach juice to a pig?  ^.^

*extends empty glass*

*wags tail in expectation*  ^___^
No I didn't! That sounds cool ^o^

I'm kinda having some computer problems with my XP MCE. It's having a hard time shuting down and something keeps crashing and I having no idea of what it is. I don't know if the problem is still there since a) I'm nervous to turn it back on and b) it's insanely hot upstairs and the outside is just as bad. I'll let you guys know if anything happens.

Bella

QuoteI'm kinda having some computer problems with my XP MCE. It's having a hard time shuting down and something keeps crashing and I having no idea of what it is. I don't know if the problem is still there since a) I'm nervous to turn it back on and b) it's insanely hot upstairs and the outside is just as bad. I'll let you guys know if anything happens.

Try to think if anything happened recently, or if you did anything that might have messed up something. When my computer's acting up, I try to figure what caused if because then it might give a clue as to how it should be fixed.

If you do decide to turn it on, the first thing I'd do is a PARTIAL system restore. This won't erase any of your data; it'll just return XP to the last known good setting of your choosing. A few days back, after getting my computer back from the Best Buy repair shop, it was hanging when starting Firefox. So, I did a restore.

Start>Help and support>system restore>restore to an earlier time> and follow the dialogue.

I once had a problem like that a few years back. K8 (my laptop running XP home) blue screened of death, and I shut it down real quick and was afraid to put it back on for NINE DAYS XD See, I was still pretty new to XP and I thought I caught a virus or something that would crash my HD.

Finally, I wanted to go on my computer so bad I said to heck with it and turned it on. On startup it said the system had encountered a serious error (or something like that) and asked if I wished to proceed or restore to last good known settings. I picked the later and K8's been fine ever since (that was the last time she BSOD'd I believe :D )

Icelilly

Quote from: "Bella"
QuoteI'm kinda having some computer problems with my XP MCE. It's having a hard time shuting down and something keeps crashing and I having no idea of what it is. I don't know if the problem is still there since a) I'm nervous to turn it back on and b) it's insanely hot upstairs and the outside is just as bad. I'll let you guys know if anything happens.

Try to think if anything happened recently, or if you did anything that might have messed up something. When my computer's acting up, I try to figure what caused if because then it might give a clue as to how it should be fixed.

If you do decide to turn it on, the first thing I'd do is a PARTIAL system restore. This won't erase any of your data; it'll just return XP to the last known good setting of your choosing. A few days back, after getting my computer back from the Best Buy repair shop, it was hanging when starting Firefox. So, I did a restore.

Start>Help and support>system restore>restore to an earlier time> and follow the dialogue.

I once had a problem like that a few years back. K8 (my laptop running XP home) blue screened of death, and I shut it down real quick and was afraid to put it back on for NINE DAYS XD See, I was still pretty new to XP and I thought I caught a virus or something that would crash my HD.

Finally, I wanted to go on my computer so bad I said to heck with it and turned it on. On startup it said the system had encountered a serious error (or something like that) and asked if I wished to proceed or restore to last good known settings. I picked the later and K8's been fine ever since (that was the last time she BSOD'd I believe :D )
The last thing I remember doing was making wallpapers with Photoshop and that's what started the whole thing.

I'll see what I can do! Hopefully, I won't get the blue screen of death XD I can't stop having nightmares about them ;o;

C-Chan

QuoteNo I didn't! That sounds cool ^o^

Mmmmm-hmmmmm,...  Yep yep, it does sound very cool.  ^__^

*waves glass*

I forgot that brand I picked up at Dominick's while I was in Toronto.  The peach juice was bright orange, and the label was white with green labeling and (naturally) bilingual.  ^.^
But not having that, I could easily accept some of that Allen's brand juice.  ^__^

*waves glass again*

Ahh, you too.  ^__^
My XP MCE sucked as well, although I just sorta/kinda got rid of it.  -v-;

Yeah, do as Bella-san, and if for any reason you have to go into safe mode, I think pressing F8 at the beginning of boot-up still works for MCE.

I fixed something similar on a friend's computer (which actually did involve a virus messing things up at boot), although then I cheated since I had my own laptop on hand to help do research.  It was a bit hard though since I had to use special recovery disks to get some kind of temporary rescue system or command prompt going (this was before I knew about Linux LiveCDs).  

In any event, fear not young Lilly-san, as there are plenty of ways to repair your system nowadays.  ^__^

Especially when you have the luxury of owning multiple computers.  ^v^

Added after 50 seconds:

And yes, I don't miss those BSODs either.  If it's true that knowledge is power, perhaps one day you too will probably just laugh at them.  ^.^

Icelilly

Quote from: "C-Chan"

Ahh, you too.  ^__^
My XP MCE sucked as well, although I just sorta/kinda got rid of it.  -v-;

Yeah, do as Bella-san, and if for any reason you have to go into safe mode, I think pressing F8 at the beginning of boot-up still works for MCE.

I fixed something similar on a friend's computer (which actually did involve a virus messing things up at boot), although then I cheated since I had my own laptop on hand to help do research.  It was a bit hard though since I had to use special recovery disks to get some kind of temporary rescue system or command prompt going (this was before I knew about Linux LiveCDs).  

In any event, fear not young Lilly-san, as there are plenty of ways to repair your system nowadays.  ^__^

Especially when you have the luxury of owning multiple computers.  ^v^

Added after 50 seconds:

And yes, I don't miss those BSODs either.  If it's true that knowledge is power, perhaps one day you too will probably just laugh at them.  ^.^
I just hope I can figure out what the hell is up with my machine! @_@ I mean, I just got it! And it doesn't even have internet! My 98SE is the only computer with the internet.

The BSOD appear a lot on my 98SE. When it crashes, it loves to put up the "System is busy" BSOD. I swear, I think the're after me. ;o; *is very paranoid*

C-Chan

Patience patience, young Lilly-san.  ^___^
All preinstalled machines from known vendors come with little "modifications" that make them break down and you cry in case you didn't purchase warranty.  ^^
In this case, it probably triggered earlier than hoped for (companies hate it when computer problems occur within manufacturer's warranty).  

The fact that you didn't have it hooked up to the internet (am i reading that right?) does strike me as odd, given that a lot of the things which COULD mess up your Windows come from the internet.  I'm guessing it could be defective RAM chips or eminent hard-drive failure then, although I doubt it.  In the case of defective RAM, a prime symptom is that your entire system (including audio) freezes up.  In the case of HD failure, the OS may occasionally refuse to boot.

Just outta curiousity..... Does your Secchan (=98SE) machine come with a CD burner (and for that matter, is your Net connection relatively fast)?  ^___^

Also outta curiousity,... do you have access to another relatively modern computer aside from Secchan?

Added after 56 seconds:

Oh, and when we fix this (assuming you don't opt to simply have it repaired/replaced), don't forget the peach juice.  ^.^

*taps glass*

Icelilly

Quote from: "C-Chan"Patience patience, young Lilly-san.  ^___^
All preinstalled machines from known vendors come with little "modifications" that make them break down and you cry in case you didn't purchase warranty.  ^^
In this case, it probably triggered earlier than hoped for (companies hate it when computer problems occur within manufacturer's warranty).  

The fact that you didn't have it hooked up to the internet (am i reading that right?) does strike me as odd, given that a lot of the things which COULD mess up your Windows come from the internet.  I'm guessing it could be defective RAM chips or eminent hard-drive failure then, although I doubt it.  In the case of defective RAM, a prime symptom is that your entire system (including audio) freezes up.  In the case of HD failure, the OS may occasionally refuse to boot.

Just outta curiousity..... Does your Secchan (=98SE) machine come with a CD burner (and for that matter, is your Net connection relatively fast)?  ^___^

Also outta curiousity,... do you have access to another relatively modern computer aside from Secchan?

Added after 56 seconds:

Oh, and when we fix this (assuming you don't opt to simply have it repaired/replaced), don't forget the peach juice.  ^.^

*taps glass*
Why yes, It does have a CD burner! But... Oh no.. Could it be I transfered a virus?! O_O; HELP ME MCAFEE-TAN!!!! ;______;

I don't have acess to any other computer. XP MCE and 98SE are the only computers in the house. Before my XP MCE, 98SE was my modern PC because my computer was 3.1.

I won't forget peach juice X3

Oh, my net connection is not fast. I'm using dial-up internet ;o;

C-Chan

Hmmm,... dial-up does complicate things a bit.  It's not impossible (I've downloaded 60-180MB programs before on dial-up just by leaving it on while I did other stuff), but it just makes things a little slower than they have to.  ^__^

But in any event, that's fairly last resort if we ever have to download a new OS.  -v-

First things first,... some questions about your MCE....  ^.^

1) How long have you owned MCE and CAN you still get it covered by warranty?  We can do this and that to fix it, but if it nulls your warranty I'd rather forget about it and take full advantage of the money you spent (cause quite frankly, you don't deserve a computer that breaks down so quickly) .  ^.^'

2) What brand is it again?  Oh never mind, you said before it was an eMachine.  ^^;
    *glances at Bella-san*  Â¬v¬

3) Can you still boot into MCE?  That is, do these crashes occur once your inside Windows or during boot-up?  More importantly, do you have time to install stuff on your MCE before it crashes?  If so, then ta heck with that treacherous McAfee.... We'll rely on your new friend Avast or AVG to find out any potential viruses you may have. ^__^

(Ad-aware, Comodo and Firefox probably not yet, since you're not connected online yet.)

4) Did you install a lot of software or have a lot of files trapped in your hard drive?  A non-destructive System Restore as Bella-san suggested can help, but if it doesn't then it may be worth trying a full reinstallation (depending on whether or not eMachines supplied you with decent Recovery disks or just a crappy HD recovery partition).  T__T'
    Naturally, if you don't have much stuff on it, then by all means that's a good last resort.  ^____^

On the other hand, if you do have a lot of stuff that you can't bare to lose AND you can't boot back into Windows MCE....

Then......

We revisit that whole plan involving your dial-up and a CD burner.  ^.^

5)  Oh, and almost forgot....
    Do you have USB flash sticks?  And if so, what size?  ^^

I'm gonna make sure I earn that delicious Peach Juice.... ^__^

[sing-song] Oh Canadian Peach Juice... I - Stand - on - Guard - for - Thee! ^v^

Icelilly

C-Chan... You won't believe what just happened....

XP-TAN IS WORKING.

I'm not joking. I went to recharge Ipod-tan (because the battery was VERY low) and when I was done, it just shut it itself down! Just like I asked it to! Now, I don't know for a fact that it's entirely fixed. Maybe it's just being nice. I'll let you know if anything changes. ^__^