FREE COOKIES!

Started by CaptBrenden, April 11, 2007, 12:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winduko

Here are some WIPs of a part of another WIP.

For the record, at school, I can use Illustrator, but at home I use Inkscape, hence the two different screenshots. If I use Photoshop tomorrow, I'll probably take a screenshot of that too.

By the way, this is supposed to be Windows 1.0-tan. She looks kinda like Haruhi Suzumiya to me though.

Cockleshell

What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Bella

@Kari: Don't worry, OSC Fortress 2 is happening ......... it's only a matter of time. -w-;

@Duko: Not bad, keep practicing! While I haven't done vector art in a very long time, i used Inkscape regularly for several years and have made a few tutorials; if you need any pointers, lemme know.

@Cockle: HOLY DETAIL, BATMAN. 0_0

winduko

Only recently have I gotten into vector art, to be honest. It's the only kind of art that I have at least some potential for, as I learned in an art class that I'm taking. Some pointers would be amazing. :)

Completed Part of WIP with character description:

This is Yuno Yamada, and she represents both Windows 1.x and Windows 2.x. I don't consider 2.x different enough from 1.x to have a different -tan, and Futaba didn't make a 2.x-tan. Yuno's design is based off of the Futaba!Windows 1.0-tan, and because that design reminded me of Yuno from Hidamari Sketch, and so her name came to be Yuno, though I think she came out looking more like Haruhi Suzumiya in my drawing.

Nichi

Nice :3

@Bella: On the OSC Fortress 2 pic, I just thought of something. We should be Team Blu; given the site's color scheme :3

winduko

WIPs for Picture I'm about to share:
http://s25.postimg.org/gt4ct5zxr/image.png
http://s25.postimg.org/m5t77anu7/image.png
http://s25.postimg.org/x6occbg33/image.png

Completed Part of WIP with character description:

This here is Azusa Yamada, and she represents Windows 3.x, which includes Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1, Windows 3.11, and Windows 3.2. None of these are different enough to warrant their own -tan in my opinion, in spite of the existence of a Windows 3.2-tan. Her design is the same as the Windows 3.1-tan that already exists, as she is that particular character, unsurprisingly. I chose Azusa for her name because for some reason I liked the idea. It was the first name I associated with a -tan, and I can't imagine using another human name for her. I learned later that Azusa contains goroawase for the number 3. Though not intentional, it is notable, as it's the closest thing I have to a legitimate reason for her name being Azusa. She reminds me of the Professor from Nichijou. It helps that DOSkitty greatly resembles Sakamoto, the Professor's cat.

Chocofreak13

we will have vastly different ideas about characterization and thus i won't discuss them with others.

i have a bit of experience with vectors (5/10 of an illustration project from college, made with inkscape, except for the text), so i can give you some tips too, if you like (though idk if i'm the best at teaching). aurora has the most experience with vectors of all of us, though, so if she stays around consistently she might be able to help you.

also, that 1.0-tan sort of makes me want to cosplay her again. but god that was difficult. -w-;;;

@cockle: fantabulous, as usual. *0*
click to make it bigger

winduko

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on May 04, 2014, 04:09:07 PM
we will have vastly different ideas about characterization and thus i won't discuss them with others.

And that's what drew me to OS-tan, the vastly different ideas about characterization. I feel that different ideas could allow for progress within individual works, so I try to not argue over it, as it's pointless and unnecessary to argue, as I feel that, for OS-tan, canon is in the eye of the beholder. I try to not say that what is in my canon is fact, as what makes sense to me might not make sense to you, and that's okay. And if you want to share them, that's also up to you. If you don't want to share them, more power to you. :)

Sappy paragraph over.

i have a bit of experience with vectors (5/10 of an illustration project from college, made with inkscape, except for the text), so i can give you some tips too, if you like (though idk if i'm the best at teaching). aurora has the most experience with vectors of all of us, though, so if she stays around consistently she might be able to help you.

Yes. I'd love tips. The more tips the better. I want to improve in my art, and the opinions of others is vital, in my opinion.

also, that 1.0-tan sort of makes me want to cosplay her again. but god that was difficult. -w-;;;*

Thank you. xD

Chocofreak13

Ho-Kay~

Hm, I wonder what I could advise you on. Is there anything specific?
click to make it bigger

winduko

Not really, to be honest.

Bella

Quote from: winduko on May 04, 2014, 06:56:11 PM
Yes. I'd love tips. The more tips the better. I want to improve in my art, and the opinions of others is vital, in my opinion.

I recommend searching dA for inkscape tutorials. To start you off:

Here's a good basic Inkscape tutorial by ex-OSCer C-chan, who's one of the best Inkscape artists I've ever known.
Here's a hideously old and outdated Inkscape drawing tutorial from yours truly - though the fundamentals are still quite sound, IMO.
A guide to cell-shading in Inkscape (also mine).

winduko

Thank you Bella. Those three tutorials you linked are all very helpful. I'll look for more as well. :D

Chocofreak13

Good luck. If it helps any, before I do any vector drawings, I always do a rough outline and then vector over it.

Also, the handles are your friends when making curves. ^^;
click to make it bigger

winduko

I considered doing that, but I don't have consistent access to a scanner, and I kinda doubt my phone's ability to do such.

As for the second thing, yes, they really are. They're my best friends, as a matter of fact. xD

I decided to redo the drawings (as Bella's tutorials are very inspiring), so you people get some WIPs:

http://s25.postimg.org/79v66m5v3/image.png
http://s25.postimg.org/vevvobq5r/image.png

Bella

Glad I could be of service. :)

It looks like you're doing alright with the actual vector-y end of things - your lines seem pretty smooth and even - I'd suggest paying closer attention to the anatomy. The shoulder/neck in particular needs better definition and the arms should probably be brought in closer to the torso. You're off to a good start though!