FREE COOKIES!

Started by CaptBrenden, April 11, 2007, 12:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on June 24, 2014, 04:54:08 PM
@bells: poast toast!
if you can actually get it done this time har har har

s'not ice-fishing but I feel I managed to make it pretty darned Michigany nonetheless.

If you're curious what's going on I recommend reading the artist's comments.

Chocofreak13

comment'd. it took me a bit to figure out what UMES was holding, and at first i thought it was bread. -w-;
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

New tablet came in today, decided to do some tracing to get used to how it feels

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Chocofreak13

hahaha, we get to see a picture of your spirit animal.

finished versions of the art for my sister's birthday

old art that i photographed today

click to make it bigger

Bella

Nice work guys. :3

Old or not that pineapple mosaic looks really good!

Chocofreak13

loving the scout pic, bells! : D

@Pineapple: hahaha, thanks. i believe it was made in Crafts in High School, meaning my freshman year (so it's 7 years old). i remember a substitute teacher we had frequently remarking "It's a Pineapple!" over it and i expressing some pride in it. ^^

Mr. Falkenberg was so awesome, and he was even cool that i forgot his name constantly and kept calling him Mr. Falkner (so suddenly he was a flying-type gym leader). ^^;;;

also, those pics seem to be broken, lemme fix em'
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

C#-tan practice trace for today

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

How can such an ugly language have such a cute -tan?! ;^;

Now for some THEN AND NOW pics~~

March 2009

July 2014

July 2013

July 2014

Cockleshell

Your proportions and posing have definitely improved a lot, Bells. I love it <3
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Bella

Thank you so much Cockle!!

Chocofreak13

your understanding of bone structure has gotten better, too. dat 09 nose was alright but a bit middle-school-manga-book-y.  on the upside your old colouring is still fabulous despite time. is that watercolour?

also, yeah, second look tells me your grasp of anatomy has gotten better. no more noodle arms ^^;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Thank you! I was long plagued with noodle-limb syndrome.  C-chan always suspected I was influenced by CLAMP (Code Geass WAS one of the first animu I really got into...) but truth be told my tendancy toward pencil-like bodies and spaghetti-limbs predates my interest in anime by a few years. For example this 2004/05-era sketch of some OCs of mine...

Thankfully, I seem to have finally shaken that particular issue for once and for all. I'd tried to get rid of my pinheads and noodle bodies before, but more often than not I ended up going too far in the OPPOSITE direction (as evidence by this piece from what I like to call my "Terrible Massive Heads Era"):

As for nose/facial structure, 2009 me had a very poor grasp on head shape for some reason. I do agree that the nose isn't bad per se, but the nose-mouth region is jutting out way too far, almost like a muzzle. If i'd had the cognizance to move them closer in, it'd have held up a lot better, imo:

To answer your question, yes, it's watercolor! I wish I could work with watercolor more but I'm running out of supplies and it resupplying them will require a bit of an initial investment (tubes of paint can easily cost $5 a piece and I believe a standard watercolor paint kits requires about 8 different colors). There's also paper pads, which cost more than regular sketch pads. And I'm probably due for a new set of brushes too.

Chocofreak13

hahahaha, you got yours for 5 bucks a tube? lucky you getting them so cheap. (you don't want to know how much we shelled out for my watercolour class. and i still have an entire block of D'Arches at home... ;v; )

also, that first pic makes me feel weirdly better, since at least i know you weren't always the pencil goddess you are now. your early work sucked just like my early work sucked. -w-

only difference is, rather than noodle limbs, i had box torsos and eyes like motherfucking saucers. and grapefruit boobs, god the grapefruit boobs. >>;
click to make it bigger

Bella

Nah, I actually got mine in an art kit years ago, but I've looked at Michael's and the 5ml tubes go for something like $5 or $6 bucks a piece. That's for 5ml — they're absolutely tiny. ;^;

Seems we had opposite stylistic weaknesses then — I've always suffered from spaghetti proportions and creepily long face syndrome. (See first picture.) I didn't even begin to have a grasp on normal proportions until a couple years ago. Better late than never, I guess. ;^;

Although I DID go through a grapefruit boob phase also. >_>;;