Bella's OS-tan Artwork Thread

Started by Bella, March 18, 2007, 02:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

I shall reply to all these posts on the morrow, but for now I'd like to finish up a couple of things.

C-Chan, here is your birthday gift:

I went a bit overboard, but it's the least I can do. Without you, and people like you, I very much doubt I would still be here drawing OS-tans; thank you very much for everything you have done, and I hope you had a wonderful birthday. :)

I could go on, but I'm a bit tired x__x

Bored doodling...I wondered why there was no fanservice of Plan9-sama...lawl...

Lud. A megane bunnygirl in a skin-tight spacesuit...that looks vaguely like an Evangelion plugsuit? When I do fanservice, I go all out >:P

Aurora Borealis

PCLOS + SAM pic: That is fantastic! You are so good at drawing people and horses, and you did all of that without sketching it first... I envy you!   PCLOS-tan looks beautiful and very friendly, and SAM-tan is soooo cute! Awwww... she lost her hat! ^_^

Plan 9-sama fanservice pic: Very beautiful and dramatic pose! I like how Plan 9-sama's hair blows in the wind too, and that she is accompanied by one of her space bunnies (Now that strikes a question: Is that the same space bunny that FreeBSD-tan put frosting on and tried to pass it off as a cake? :D )! The plugsuit look is perfect for Plan 9-sama too! ;010

Bella

QuoteYAAAAAAY! BELLA SIGHTING! But so sad that your latest travels have been awful

Activity in this sub-forum drops considerably in your absence but when you return, you return with so much beautiful, awesome winnage! And the way you did the eyes for your newest batch of chibis is very beautiful and mesmerizing!

BSD-tan: I like how you combined elements from your sketch of her with elements from the magical BSD girl. The latter makes her very cute and the former gives her a mature look at the same time!

AIX-tan: She's beauuuuuuutiful! Her clothes are very elegant yet professional, and her face is adorable!

Vi-kun + Emacs-kun + Red-kun: Wow! Bella is also awesome at drawing guys too! Vi-kun is so cute! Red-kun is very handsome and I also like the smart mouthed-type! *swoons* And that Emacs-kun, he looks so dreamy and enchanting! *__*

*massive swoon*

VOS-tan: Another example of your top-notch ability at fashion, her outfit is a combination of Victorian and punk; both well-integrated into a whole new fresh look! She looks like tough girl + diva too!

Free VMS-tan + OZONE-tan: CUTENESS OVERLOAD!! *explodes*

Both of them are so cute, and strange- a combo I really like!

With FreeVMS-tan's design combined the cuteness from your original concept as well as C-Chan's rendition and has the cuteness of both multiplied!

OZONE-tan's mullet-like hairstyle does not detract from her cuteness at all, it actually adds on to it!

DTSS-sama + WAITS-san pic: While I really did like your previous version of the DTSS-sama + WAITS-san pic, I think that the third time is the charm and their redesigns are fantastic!

So sad that your lost your GM OS-sama pic

Well, it's not that my travels have been awful per se, but the mood has been a bit less cheery than usual. Course, last weekend was gorgeous; many people came up from the cites to go leaf peeping. I think I can confidently say that I should be able to check in here regularly now (would've last week, had I not been taken camping).

I'm very happy you like my chibis! And my -kuns no less, I was hoping they wouldn't be too bishonen. I've drawn anime style boys before, but they never came out too well; these are really my first ones, if you don't count my Vista-sensei parody drawing.

VOS-tan I wanted to hint was a bit fancy, but also very very tough and strong. And any strangeness with FreeVMS and OZONE-chan is purely intentional, too. And DTSS and WAIT-san I didn't feel were unique enough, but I like this version.

QuoteSecondly: Either I've been away/mentally dismantled for some time without noticing, or your artstyle has changed considerably in the last weeks. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the new sans-pencilsketch method you use, but I see a difference.
A good difference, that is, but still something that made me scan them one more time than usual. Er.

Yeah, I have been experimenting a bit with my artwork; I'm happy you think it's for the better, though ^^

QuoteThat settles it, my core is offline. I didn't even notice they were guys before I read Aurora-san's post, despite the BEARD, just assumed they were girls because they were, well, here, without even looking at them DAMNIT EVEN MY BRAIN IS FAILING ME, NOW I CAN'T EVEN TYPE.

Summing up, because I think I made a bad impression:
VOTE FOR CHANGE! CHIBI OM NOM SPOTTED, NET THEM AT ONCE! >:3

Wow man, you might need glasses if you mistook those for females. Either that, or you did a bit of pre-birthday drinking :P

QuoteNigh, you say...?

More like, NO MOAR UNDERAGE B&!, TOMORROW AND ONWARDS! >:3

I'm SO getting my ass drunk as hell.

I hope you had a great birthday! As for all that drinking, maybe we should've all pitched in and bought you a keg! :P

Quote..Which has been pretty much the case for several years now. Just happens to be the first time the media in the US is willing to admit it (and even then, it's like teeth-pulling). ^^'

We were hoping that a recession would be like a vampire. Or ghost. If you don't knowledge its existence, it won't hurt you! [sarcasm\]

QuoteYes, I remembered how terrified I was when I heard about tornados many months earlier. Glad you made it through that after all.

Oh now, I was on the Cape when those tornadoes hit. Either way, our part of the state is much too hilly to have any tornadoes (but we do have some very big wind storms).

QuotePresent company aside, I've never been much of a fan of stores/businesses that rely solely on frivolous or luxury items, precisely because they're so dependent on economic prosperity and so vulnerable to downward fluctuations in the business cycle. Sure, they serve as mine canaries, but it's also disheartening too since they're also the commercial equivalent of a rose garden in a field of crops and weeds -- without at least a few of them, shopping centers aren't nearly as nice.

If at all possible/practical, I've always advocated a kind of "farm analogy" when it comes to sustainable business practice. To put it cryptically, be sure you can grow crops all year round, not just in the spring (cabbages are quite winter-hardy, fyi). "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" is probably a more famous analogy, and while not 100% equivalent it does convey a similar idea.

Well, I don't know. How frivolous are framed prints? Portraits? It seems pretty trivial to me, but business hasn't been incredible bad, so we must be doing something right : \

QuoteAa sou, so you guys aren't entirely in control of the business then? ''

No, we are. My dad just conveniently gets called "the boss" whenever he makes a mistake... ^///^

I can't decide if it's good or bad...on one hand, business gets dragged home all the time, and when I mess up I get scolded from both my boss and dad; on the other, I never worry about getting fired or laid off (no matter how much I might slack or sleep on the job---fufufu).

QuoteIn that respect I am envious. I've lost inspiration, but can't jumpstart it as my attention is still drawn into Python/QT4 stuff, more so now that I finally have a working version of KDE4. I'm actually now training in GUI development -- while the prospect of desiging stuff will undoubtedly lure me even further away from OS-tan stuff, the day I can attempt OS-tan themed software could also draw nigh. Pretty much wait and see at this point. ^.^

I've been thinking about inspiration a lot lately...I think I've pinned down two sources from which it comes, for me at least. I usually acknowledge the ebb and flow of inspiration and don't get too upset if it goes away for awhile; but sometimes I just have to track down where it lives and get it for myself. T___T

QuoteFeel free to post the comics uninked if you want to save a little time. Speaking of which, I never could muster the strength to lift your boot off of me in your manga thread, so might need a hand. Or foot. ^^;

Oh, I posted around one-fourth of Chapter Three in the Manga thread. Will that get my boot off of you?

QuoteSadly, things haven't been too hot over here as I explained earlier. -__-
I'm actually quite happy you were able to work from an isolated, untainted environment, but I fear the depressive undercurrents (especially mine) will be corrupting. I should probably consider quarantine. -.-'

No, don't think like that! Yeah...you might be a bit depressing...at times...but you have to think positively. I know I shouldn't be one to talk, but you must ask yourself: is coming to this forum a chore? A job? Or is it an escape? A way to forget about problems for a short while before returning to the world? I would like to think it's mostly the latter for me...I at least try to make it the latter. There's enough things to worry about in the real world, coming here should be fun.

QuoteProbably the best example of doing more with less as I've ever seen, and better even than my chibis (you still somehow manage your characteristic fold and costume design supremacy with fewer shapes). Their eyes are done superbly -- rich, deep and expressive as you once admired. Their noses are just barely hinted at, which is a strong positive in most chibi-making. And their hair simple but refined precision instruments of Win.

I would definitely have to say this is my favorite of your latest salvo of incredible drawings, if only cause the girls are so darn cute and addictive. I'm gonna need my fix. XvX

AIX-sama I love by default -- the backstory is just icing on the cake. MamaBSD is also fantastic, not only because it finally gives her some much needed exposure (and a concrete colored character design), but you were also gracious enough to embed elements of the oft-overlooked BSD-girl mascot. ^^

I can post the Source if you want to take a look at how they were constructed...I was going for a lot of speed here, sacrificing some of the detail. But I really like how they turned out.
Never a big fan of -kuns, but still have to say these are great! ^v^b

I do spot that line between Emacs-kun's legs, so I think that might be a leftover from the original box shape.

Vi-kun is definitely my favorite for a wide variety of reasons; aside from offering potential for fantastic comparison shots with the ladies, his eyes/gaze/glare certainly lends off the impression that he's a character that LOOKS like he's a verifiable weakling and coward, but in fact is rather keen and sharp-witted. Still no fighter by a long shot, but he would probably exhibit the same courage and confidence of a doctor secure in the belief that he won't get hurt (or even if he did, not really care about it).

Probably the reason he's such good friends with UNIX-sama, when anyone else in such close proximity to her would pee in their pants.

First time followers would probably love him for being so gosh-darn cute and small (a la Negi), but if they managed to survive his nononsense stylings would come to appreciate his views and respect him for what he's managed to achieve despite his physical limitations.

Thank you! I've never really been a fan of -kuns in the past, but it's fun to try something different. What you said about Vi-kun is spot-on, but I should add somehow I see arguments between him and Slack-chan over who's a better follower of Unix Philosophy :P

And of course he'd get along great with the Goddess. Heck, they'd even make make a cute coupl-- ^////^

*swooshing noise*

*gets hit in head by lead pipe, thrown by jealous Slackware-chan*

QuoteEmacs-kun is precisely the kind of man I had in mind when I came up with the suggestions -- a celebrity with unmatched vanity and an enormous following of rabid fangirls that he can tame with a smooth tongue and a healthy dose of intelligensia. Now if he actually followed that up with a kind of playboy mentality, then he WOULD be rather Dr. Baltarish after all (minus, I hope, the crushing selfcenteredness...). ^^;

Appearance-wise, Red-kun doesn't look like he'd attract a cold. ^.^;
Character concept-wise, however, I think you have a very rich and ironic idea going. ^^

I think Emacs-kun might be a bit of a ladies man...c'mon, he's surrounded by all those Linuxes and Unixen...and now the OS X Catgirls....who wouldn't be? XD

QuoteI should probably make it a point to try and watch what you watch since [judging by Full Metal Alchemist and several other recommendation] you clearly have good tastes. That way I can better appreciate the comparison with this Sawyer character -- although for very obvious reasons I kind of make the connection of Red-kun with a more modern Mark Twain caricature. It just seems so appropriate. ^^

Lost is the kind of show that's hard to follow if you don't watch from the start (or at least the start of the season).  I really do think it's one of the deepest, most entertaining TV series I've seen; it incorporates a human drama with science-fiction, fantasy, and a rich and unique mythology. The casting and writing is great, but I think the real stand out, production-wise, are the characters and plot development.

The first season was really good, throughout it had a Lord of the Flies feel to it, but with a sci-fi/fantasy twist. The second season was excellent as well; season three was arguably a bit slower than the first two on an episode-by-episode basis, but I don't have any complaints. Last season I really enjoyed...they started to explain what the island really is, and a lot of the mythology behind it.

Fufu... It's names like "Hot Stuff" that will surely get his butt kicked twice as fast. ^.^;

Surley when VMS and eCOS-tan went off to fight they'd get the moniker "Thelma and Louise" ^^'

QuoteNiiiiiiiice! Call up the royal palace, and ask them if they lost their queen? ^.^

Outrageously elegant and gorgeous, and certainly only Bella-hime could have made such a beautiful CLAMP-like dress for her. Same compliment of the eyes applies from before, and the hair has a simple but effectively regal look that just barely HINTS at a Multisque influence. ^^

As for her alignment, it seems like you are leaning towards the CIOST, but I should probably note that Wanderers don't necessarily have to be weak. I've always thought of Viru-sama as a kind of Barbarian Queen ruling over an unrecognized kingdom of virus-tans. It woudn't be a stretch therefore to say that VOS-sama is the Lady (or Duchess or whatever) of her own Estate/Duchy/etc, and refuses to be aligned with anything for her own range of personal reasons (vanity? mistrust? arrogance? ignorance of modern affairs?). As a skilled sorceress, she has enough power to defend her land from greater-than-average threats -- but she's only lucky that no serious effort has been made to chase her out of it.

This could work, as VOS is rather obscure but very powerful. And I do think the legions of modern day Multics-likes might look up to her as their leader.

I should note that Stratus, VOS' manufacturer, is based in Maynard Mass., the same town that DEC was out of. Just a fun fact really.

QuoteThis is where a quick call of C-chan Tech Support could have helped, you know. -v-

Too late now I'm sure, though. -.-'
Just a shot in the dark... be sure to check out C:\Program Files\Inkscape, just in case.

Nope, I checked there first. Nota...

QuoteAh I see....

...so that means you dress like this in public after all.... ^______^

Ahahaaha. No. I was born with some sense of shame.  ;018

QuotePCLOS + SAM pic: That is fantastic! You are so good at drawing people and horses, and you did all of that without sketching it first... I envy you! PCLOS-tan looks beautiful and very friendly, and SAM-tan is soooo cute! Awwww... she lost her hat!

Thanks! I actually used the surly 3-D box tool to map out the shape of SAM and PCLOS-tan. It worked suspiciously well for me...but latter attempts didn't turn out so well. For the horses, I traced photos.

QuotePlan 9-sama fanservice pic: Very beautiful and dramatic pose! I like how Plan 9-sama's hair blows in the wind too, and that she is accompanied by one of her space bunnies (Now that strikes a question: Is that the same space bunny that FreeBSD-tan put frosting on and tried to pass it off as a cake? )! The plugsuit look is perfect for Plan 9-sama too!

Hahaha! I think Plan 9-sama must have plenty of bunnies, what with her knowledge of cloning and necromancy and such. Hey, this site even backs up the fact:

http://glenda.cat-v.org/gallery/

Oh yes, and here's the Source for the VOS-tan picture. This should give some clues as to how I make my chibis (and you can see the alternate outfit for VOS-tan!)

[attachment deleted by admin]

C-Chan

Oodles of ground to cover here too.  ^^

Plus......... I gotta have a nice taste of the Special Sauce.  ^.^

Thank you again for the beautiful Birthday picture, Bella-hime!  ^__^

And aside from that, the gorgeous lovely Plan9-sama in a jaw-dropping, drool-inducing must-draw-this-instant-despite-risk-of-personal-financial-ruination pose.  ^v^

I'll indulge in a little more detail when I have the chance.  ^^

Bella

Oh, I should send you the Source to your B-day drawing, too. After all, you gave me the SVG to that VMS-sama picture :)

And coloring that Plan 9-sama picture shouldn't be that difficult...I've been tossing around the idea, but I still don't feel like working with Inkscape at this moment T__T

Bella

Oh wau. Vector art. Not a word, since this is pre-pre-pre-beta.

And since I couldn't possibly stop with Plan 9-sama...

...I had to add my new BFF, NetBSD-chan. Who's looking scary enough to run with the scariest of the Unixen. Not to worry, in the finished product (set to have a suitably kickass background) I will hopefully explain the gravitational discontinuity between Plan 9 and NetBSD-chan (and all the Glenda clones, and the flying toaster, etc etc.)

EDIT: there's no time like the present, so I decided to post the SVG to C-Chan's Birthday picture. I tried sending it in a PM, but I couldn't figure out how to attach files ^///^

C-Chan

Woohoo!  Hummina Hummus!  ^^
Actually, I was intending to... *GASP* draw for sure this weekend, and I was hoping to actually sneak in a vector sketch of that gorgeous Plan9-sama pic.  But now that you've already started, I might consider something else.  ^___^

Don't really feel like shading Xenix-sama + DOS-tans, so that's out of the equation.  Instead, here are some possibilities:

1) Add Commodore 64 and PET-chan to that picture finally
2) Draw Bella's BSDs... finally.  ^^
3) Try to draw that Binteji Renmei panel in the Zerosanity XMAS comic... finally.
4) Draw something else that I probably won't finish..... again....

*goes pale*

*crawls toward corner, rolls into ball, and wallows in shame*

I suck.  Â¯-¯

The floating (and possibly PO'd) NetBSD-chan pic with uber-collection of space bunnies is looking awesome!  ^__^

And thank you very much for sending me the Sauce to the picture pic!  Believe me, I'll cherish it!  ^v^

Added after 1 minutes:

Oh and yeah, you can't attach anything in PMs.  ^.^

Bella

QuoteWoohoo! Hummina Hummus! ^^
Actually, I was intending to... *GASP* draw for sure this weekend, and I was hoping to actually sneak in a vector sketch of that gorgeous Plan9-sama pic. But now that you've already started, I might consider something else. ^___^

Drats, now I feel sad for thwarting your plans to work on this picture. If you want to do shading or anything, you can have at it! Otherwise I'll just finish it.

Don't really feel like shading Xenix-sama + DOS-tans, so that's out of the equation. Instead, here are some possibilities:

Quote1) Add Commodore 64 and PET-chan to that picture finally
2) Draw Bella's BSDs... finally. ^^
3) Try to draw that Binteji Renmei panel in the Zerosanity XMAS comic... finally.
4) Draw something else that I probably won't finish..... again....

I'm voting for 4), z/OS-sama!

No, no, I kid. If you're inspired to draw something completely out-of-the-blue, go for it-- otherwise, try to finish something you've started, if you feel like it. I, for example, wanted to work on drawing either WAITS, DTSS, or BTSS-tan (or someone else who hasn't been drawn), but I ended up drawing the well-established Plan 9 and NetBSD-chan instead. Because I felt like it.

QuoteThe floating (and possibly PO'd) NetBSD-chan pic with uber-collection of space bunnies is looking awesome! ^__^

But now I have to think up a reason why Plan 9-sama is effected by gravity, and NetBSD-chan isn't.

Hmmm, maybe Plan 9-sama is in a section of the spaceship that has gravity; either by "generating" its own gravity through some psudoscientific means, or by rotating (the more scientific way). NetBSD-chan, however, is just over a threshold in a sealed section of the ship, where there is no rotation and thus no gravity, peering in though a large porthole....I should have thought this out a bit better T___T

QuoteAnd thank you very much for sending me the Sauce to the picture pic! Believe me, I'll cherish it! ^v^

Added after 1 minutes:

Oh and yeah, you can't attach anything in PMs. ^.^

No problem! I'm also considering posting the SVG to the app-kuns picture, if only to let people see the microscopic text on the books they're holding. And I could've sworn you could send attachments...then again, that VMS-sama pic you send was just a link, wasn't it... o.o

C-Chan

Drats, now I feel sad for thwarting your plans to work on this picture. If you want to do shading or anything, you can have at it! Otherwise I'll just finish it.

If you don't mind, yeah I'd LOVE too!  >v<
And it's already color-mapped, so there's no excuse to not finish it ASAP like I did the BSDs.  ^^

*sweatdrops*  ^^;

I'm voting for 4), z/OS-sama!

No, no, I kid. If you're inspired to draw something completely out-of-the-blue, go for it-- otherwise, try to finish something you've started, if you feel like it. I, for example, wanted to work on drawing either WAITS, DTSS, or BTSS-tan (or someone else who hasn't been drawn), but I ended up drawing the well-established Plan 9 and NetBSD-chan instead. Because I felt like it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Well that stupid Ichigo did leave me on a bit of a perverted streak.  Let me see if my hand takes off drawing z/OS-sama.  -v-

But now I have to think up a reason why Plan 9-sama is effected by gravity, and NetBSD-chan isn't.

Hmmm, maybe Plan 9-sama is in a section of the spaceship that has gravity; either by "generating" its own gravity through some psudoscientific means, or by rotating (the more scientific way). NetBSD-chan, however, is just over a threshold in a sealed section of the ship, where there is no rotation and thus no gravity, peering in though a large porthole....I should have thought this out a bit better T___T

Well Plan9-sama is not just a necromancer, but also a space fairer.  After being in the trade for so long, it wouldn't be unlike her to equip some magnetic boots (or at least magnetically-capable boots) just in case things like this happened.  ^.^

(yes, a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I once saw Star Trek VI)

No problem! I'm also considering posting the SVG to the app-kuns picture, if only to let people see the microscopic text on the books they're holding. And I could've sworn you could send attachments...then again, that VMS-sama pic you send was just a link, wasn't it... o.o

Yepper.  ^^
I think I'll be posting Xenix-sama up too, in case I really don't get back to that drawing.

Bella

QuoteIf you don't mind, yeah I'd LOVE too! >v<
And it's already color-mapped, so there's no excuse to not finish it ASAP like I did the BSDs. ^^

*sweatdrops* ^^;

So you do want the source for that picture? Okay, I'll post it, since I seem to be spending more time on NetBSD-chan.

QuoteHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Well that stupid Ichigo did leave me on a bit of a perverted streak. Let me see if my hand takes off drawing z/OS-sama. -v-

Oh, what did I start... : \

QuoteWell Plan9-sama is not just a necromancer, but also a space fairer. After being in the trade for so long, it wouldn't be unlike her to equip some magnetic boots (or at least magnetically-capable boots) just in case things like this happened. ^.^

(yes, a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I once saw Star Trek VI)

But this wouldn't explain why her hair wasn't floating...unless...she was moving downward...

QuoteYepper. ^^
I think I'll be posting Xenix-sama up too, in case I really don't get back to that drawing.

This sounds like a good idea...

C-Chan

QuoteBut this wouldn't explain why her hair wasn't floating...unless...she was moving downward...

Uhhhhh.................. hair........... gel?  ^______________^
In RL, I hate using the stuff cause having my hair stiff and crinkly like tissue paper unnerves me to bits.

But for a space-fairer, it's essential to avoid looking like medusa.  ^.^

====

Thank you, btw!  ^v^

I'll get right on Plan 9-sama.  ^.^

Added after 6 minutes:

EDIT:  Oh crap, almost forgot...

Do you want a particular light source for Plan9-sama?  I'll probably default to an upper-right hand corner light source,... although I may also try something wackier if she's on her spaceship.  -.-

NejinOniwa

QuoteUhhhhh.................. hair........... gel? ^______________^
In RL, I hate using the stuff cause having my hair stiff and crinkly like tissue paper unnerves me to bits.

But for a space-fairer, it's essential to avoid looking like medusa. ^.^

And that's why MY alien spaceship has artificial gravity...cuz otherwise my hair would be EVERYWHERE. ~w~
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Make the light source wherever you want, I guess.

C-Chan

*cries*  ;~;

Ooookay.... *pouts*  T^T

I'll try something wacky,... -v-

Added after 5 hours 39 minutes:

Sorry, I'm not sure if Kanon-style counts as wacky, but when I tried it I found myself possessed.  ^___^

*squeals with delight*

WOW!  The C-chan actually fulfilled a promise!  Did I just grow wings and fly?

*sprouts wings and flies*

Holy %@^$!  I did!  Could this possibly be a turning point in my everlasting onslaught of suckage?!!  @v@

*wings disappear*
*C-chan falls flat on his face*

Okay, maybe I shouldn't push it.  >v<

In any event, hope you like.  I didn't feel like drawing her left hand, so I drew a rocket to cover it.  I was thinking of making the cameo appearance on it a little more elaborate, but I took your advice and kept it simple.  ^___^

As for the lighting, I've always wanted to try out a sunset hue (even if this is a cave setting), so I really went nuts with that.  ^.^

Sauce on request if you want it.  ^___^

NejinOniwa

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON.

This is just what I needed to prep for a long day of partying. Thank you, sempai.

nnnnnnnNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOSEBLEEED ROOCKETTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS