Amiga OS 4.0 final released

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, December 25, 2006, 05:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

From the original announce by Hyperion:

Quote"Hyperion Entertainment is very pleased to announce the immediate availability (for registered AmigaOne customers) of Amiga OS 4.0, The Final Update. Originally released in May of 2004, Amiga OS 4.0 is the most stable, modern and feature-rich incarnation to date of the multi-media centric operating system launched by Commodore Business Machines (CBM) in 1985 with which it still retains a high degree of compatibility. Amiga OS 4.0, The Final Update is the culmination of 5 years of development and takes the form of a stand-alone ISO image which contains a full installation of all Amiga OS 4.0 components. A list of new features can be found here. Availability of PowerPC hardware suitable for operation with Amiga OS 4.0 will be announced by third parties early 2007."

Two images from users at their first re-installation of OS 4.0 final.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=448&full=1

http://www.ikirsector.it/im/amiga/os4final1.jpg

Icons must be Jobbo Icons design.
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Silentbob

Wah, that's kinda incredible.  :D  

Too bad my Amigas can't run it though.  :(

Raffaele the Amigan

Have you a PPC updated classic old Amiga?
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
[/color]
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Silentbob

Nope, I'm still on 68k.  (A1200 with 68030/50 and A4000 with 68040/25).  

So no OS4 for me.

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "Silentbob"Nope, I'm still on 68k.  (A1200 with 68030/50 and A4000 with 68040/25).  

So no OS4 for me.

Bad luck!

With an Amiga classic powered with PPC, then at least you could had run MorphOS for PowerUP.

And even if AmigaOS 4.0 version for old PowerPC expanded Amigas is actually  available only for developers, I think that soon they will release it for free...

Well, keep collecting some money, it seems that soon AmigaOS 4.0 will be available on this platform:

http://www.sam440.com/eng/index.html

Which will be sold at 399 Euro complete with a version of Amiga OS 4.0.
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

C-Chan

*cheers with giddy laughter*

About freaking time!!  
YEAH!!!  Amiga-sama is finally going 4.0!!!  ^v^

Perfect timing soon, since I'm working on another rendition of Amiga-tan as we speak.  ^__^
Only this time, given that it's for a special occasion, I decided to doll her up a bit.  Dressed up for a "gala" event, so to speak....  Ã,¬vÃ,¬

Hyperion's announcement makes for another very good reason.  ^__^

Raffaele the Amigan

[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

C-Chan

Bless your heart, Raffaele-san.  ^^

I noticed AmigaOS4 has an awful lot of blue in its GUI.  I guess I wasn't wrong to make blue Amiga-tan's tertiary color, after red and white.

I was originally planning on making her gala dress red, but why not blue instead?  Hmmm.....

*ponders*

I might have to end up trying both.  -v-

Or maybe,.....  ^___^

*ponders more dramatic scheme*

CaptBrenden

honestly I think we should be ashamed of you pig.  You claim to support amiga-tan so much but you didnt know this was coming

-_-
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "C-Chan"Bless your heart, Raffaele-san.  ^^

I noticed AmigaOS4 has an awful lot of blue in its GUI.  I guess I wasn't wrong to make blue Amiga-tan's tertiary color, after red and white.

Default color of Amiga desktop was blue and white, 15 years before than Windows XP.

It was choosen by Commodore technicians because it it the best combination of colors to be seen even on mangled television sets.

In those times the technicians team arranged by Commodore so fast & furiously was working on just already purchased Amiga technology to show it worldwide for the first time.

They collected all sort of worst television sets, then they tested all these televisions with Amiga, and in the end they choosen blue and white main scheme palette...

It seems their work it was sure apprecciated nowadays (well, about 5 years ago to be precise) by Microsoft technicians.
Why? Just because they predates a similar color scheme for Windows XP.

No complains about it. It is just another feature that Windows predates form alien oses, and comes far from other famous predations like taskbar and tray icons from ArthurOS/RiscOS and NeXT and BeOS, and notorious Guru Meditation screen from Amiga changed to various "Screens of Death" in different Windows versions.

Now it is the time for XP for "picking" same colors of ancient Amigas... How such some villains!

Well, and perhaps, to stay in topic, I think you had studied old Workbench GUI from Amiga, and had noticed ancient 1.x Amiga Workbench images or not?

Had you studied?  ;018

I was originally planning on making her gala dress red, but why not blue instead?  Hmmm.....

*ponders*

I might have to end up trying both.  -v-

Or maybe,.....  ^___^

*ponders more dramatic scheme*

Just paint as your taste suggests you a clue!

Speaking personally I hate that awful blu from AmigaOS 4.0. It is AmigaOS 1.x water-washed in a cleaning machine and just shows me that in AmigaOS 4.0 team there is none with good taste to choose a gorgeous color scheme.

Even icons are awful from my taste and judging from my point of view (well, just from MY point of view). They are just clear and plain, but without any sort of personality.

It is a declaration!

Hyperion declarate they don't care of the GUI schemes, because any user could adjust it to match their personal preferences.

Added after 11 minutes:

Quote from: "CaptBrenden"honestly I think we should be ashamed of you pig.  You claim to support amiga-tan so much but you didnt know this was coming

-_-

My fault Captain, just a fault of mine.

I have heard that for Christmas all Amigans will had received a gift from Santa Claus.

But it seemed too much good for me to imagine it was the final release of AmigaOS 4.0 at least complete.

And I am also to be blamed because I even received some clues from italian beta-testers of AmigaOS 4.0 but I never trusted them.
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

C-Chan

Quotehonestly I think we should be ashamed of you pig. You claim to support amiga-tan so much but you didnt know this was coming

QuoteMy fault Captain, just a fault of mine.

I have heard that for Christmas all Amigans will had received a gift from Santa Claus.

But it seemed too much good for me to imagine it was the final release of AmigaOS 4.0 at least complete.

And I am also to be blamed because I even received some clues from italian beta-testers of AmigaOS 4.0 but I never trusted them.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to blame the Captain himself.  ^__^
He literally forced me at gunpoint (more like grill spatula) to work on the Prophet, the Goddess and the Holy Kitten, so naturally that takes resources away from Amiga-sama.  ^___^

[chiding]  Bad Captain, very bad Captain. No delicious cake for you.  `v'

QuoteHad you studied?  

Sorta,... that's how I came up with the blue hat and shorts.  ^__^
But I'm definitely no Amigan.  -v-

Yet....  ^^

QuoteJust paint as your taste suggests you a clue!

Speaking personally I hate that awful blu from AmigaOS 4.0. It is AmigaOS 1.x water-washed in a cleaning machine and just shows me that in AmigaOS 4.0 team there is none with good taste to choose a gorgeous color scheme.

Even icons are awful from my taste and judging from my point of view (well, just from MY point of view). They are just clear and plain, but without any sort of personality.

It is a declaration!

Hyperion declarate they don't care of the GUI schemes, because any user could adjust it to match their personal preferences.

Something like Ambient would've been nicer, true -- but I don't think it's that bad.  The icons do look like lifeless CG from the early 90's, but some have curious amount of detail.  The default eComStation 1.2 GUI looks worse, yet I still made her into a pretty young lass somehow.  ^__^

I'll try both then (it's easy to switch colors with vectors), but the idea also occurred to me for something original that only Amiga-tan would be daring enough to wear....

Color phasing clothing.  -v-

Imagine a gorgeous ballroom-style dress that gradually and imperceptively changes color.  It could be blue for an extended period of time, but the phase shift is so subtle it'd be too late for you to realize it's suddenly red.  Or green or yellow or violet, etc.  -v-

Course, that's impossible to depict in a still image,... but should be doable if I use shape tweening in Flash.  -v-

C-Chan

Okay, we're done with the immediate celebration... *cough cough*... and now it's time to kick off the OS4.0 one!  ^___^

Thanks to the prior celebration,... *cough cough* ...I rushed to complete this rough sketch of my new Amiga-san pic.  Clearly it still needs:

- shading,
- highlights,
- anatomical fixes,
- clothing fixes,
- hair fixes,
- and a few more bells & whistles

And I probably won't add these till much later since I still have so many other projects to finish.  

But at least this is a good first attempt at depicting her gala dress form -- we're starting off first with the wine red color I originally planned (there's also some white parts as well, but ME-tan is blocking the view), but I'll try and sneak in some blue and color-phasing later to see if they work better or not.  ^^

Just some quick trivia:

1 - The dress might be my way of representing Miggy's 4.0 incarnation, but for now it's just her "gala dress". Story-wise, the dress is a gift from all the Binteji-tans in an attempt to doll her up for a date-o. ^__^

2 - Her hair has been completely restyled, of course, but I should point out that the two small frontal bangs that wisp towards her face are in the same style as TripOS-tan's. In essence, this new mature look for Amiga makes her look a bit more like her mother.

3 - GEM OS-tan hand-crafted those crystal boing-ball earrings, a gift from a fellow GUI pioneer. ^__^

4 - It's hard to see it in this resolution, but her necklace is composed of a series of topaz butterflies and ruby cat heads. A reference to MorphOS and AROS which Amiga-san wears with pride. -v-

5 - I should probably remind everyone that ME-chan is short but not THAT short. Amiga-san just happens to be very very tall.  ^^;

Silentbob

Waah....   ;133  ;079

*worships at the altar of Amiga-tan*

*gives all his internets to C-Chan*

And oh yeah...

*swoons*

Even though it's unfinished, you have again outdone yourself.  

*worships some more*

C-Chan

Hehe.... I take it you like the more mature-looking Amiga?  ^_____^

Silentbob

Yes, yes.  Mature is good.  :D

(But a loli is fine too... I think.   ;026 )