Aurora's got an OS-tan art thread! Wait... what?!

Started by Aurora Borealis, September 01, 2006, 10:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

QuoteYou and me both, sister. ^^

What I'm going to do with my comic is sort of the elephant in room right now...I want to finish it, but I have no idea how (no, that's a lie, I have some idea how.)

That should be brought up at my own thread, though.

QuoteNot to say you couldn't, but I've seen your style and had a taste of your personality for almost three years and,... yeah, it just doesn't seem conducive. Your a peace-time drawer and that's what I like about you. ^__^

I agree...not that it isn't good to try something new, though.

QuoteI'm still trying to find the original comic that references her... I know it's around here somewhere.... -.-

I had no idea she was even mentioned in any comic. O.o

QuoteI was a little worried that vector sketch was a little dated too, but then that one always remained a sketch.

Kind of ironic that, with the exception of my first sketch and that sketch, the only other drawing of the goddess that I did was in that little Zerosanity XMAS panel where she appears [blasphemously] as a chibi. ^^;

Definitely without you two, I'd be a lost cause. ^__^

I've always felt a bit bad about usurping the honors of "first person to draw Unix-sama" from you. And now I find out you were thinking of doing a drawing with her (and Multics-sama)...! ;___;

*goes off to find suicide parsley*

C-Chan

Well I was thinking of drawing that LONG before I decided on C-Day, you know.  Now that that's decided, after that point, there's no guarantee I could have drawn that in January (who knows, maybe I'll be able to BUILD presents rather than draw them).   ^^;

So in a way, with pun intended, you saved my bacon with that marvelous picture.  ^___^

Speaking of which, still need someone to reply to that thread so i can post my review of that picture.  ^.^

Aurora Borealis

My progress on the Unix-sama pic:

I got about halfway done with the shading (with the light source directly below her) but I don't know how to continue it (especially how to do the shading/highlighting on her skirt) so...

I'm posting up the sauce and hoping that someone better at lighting than me (pretty much anyone) can pick up the slack for me -_-

EDIT: Just sketched it this afternoon, it is the proposed group picture of ][-chan, GS/OS-chan, PET-chan and AtariDOS-chan... imitating a barbershop quartet (or their take on a barbershop quartet)! :D

A few notes: AtariDOS-chan has rabbits coming out of her hat, and although it can't be seen from here ][-chan is waving around a paper fan just like the one she used in her appearance in the ZS Xmas special.

[attachment deleted by admin]

C-Chan

The SWOONZ!!!  They are EPIC!!!  >v<

Stand by, have to do a little post-production on those Dango Storyboards, and then I'll respond like there's no tomorrow (although that's getting pretty darn close).  ^^;

Bella

I can help with the shading/highlight, Aurora-hime. ^^

Aurora Borealis

Thank you thank you THANK YOOOOU! I am very grateful of your offer! :D

Bella

QuoteThank you thank you THANK YOOOOU! I am very grateful of your offer!

It's no problem at all; I'm glad to help when I can ^^

This was about an hour's work...plus I added some explanations of what I actually did. You can catch someone a fish and feed them for a day, but if you teach someone to fish you can feed them for a lifetime. ;)

While there may be exceptions to this rule, it basically it comes down to reversing where you put the highlights in relation to shading. When the light source is overhead, the shading is always below the "obstruction" (say an arm or skirt), but when it's below the shading will be above the obstruction. You already did this, quite perfectly, with her hair, so I may just be explaining what you already know. Faces are a bit more difficult, so it's better to try to find an example...

http://www.animecutie.com/pictures/ghost-in-the-shell-wallpaper-01.jpg

...but usually it comes down to having the only the lower face highlighted, with a shadow on the bridge of the nose and on each cheek. A white glare near the bottom of the iris is also good.

There may still be work needed on this picture (like shading or highlighting on some metal areas, and the hair), but I figured this was most of the big stuff.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Aurora Borealis

Brilliant work, and thank you for adding in helpful notes too! ;019

I downloaded the SVG and I think I will learn a lot from it. I am especially impressed on how you do the folds, and know where exactly where to put the shading and highlights that indicate them!

C-Chan

*walks in limping with cane*

Gyaaah.... >.<
No more.... too much.... artwork.... to...... reply to.......  >v<

This is all fantastic, but my piggy heart can take it any further.  It's like someone broke open a dam filled to the brim with Epic Win, and all I have to stop it all is a single sand bag.  ^^'

QuoteMy progress on the Unix-sama pic:

It's still absolutely remarkable that you're doing this!  I'm so happy -- Aurora-hime's first UNIX-sama.  ^^

EDIT: Just sketched it this afternoon, it is the proposed group picture of ][-chan, GS/OS-chan, PET-chan and AtariDOS-chan... imitating a barbershop quartet (or their take on a barbershop quartet)!

A few notes: AtariDOS-chan has rabbits coming out of her hat, and although it can't be seen from here ][-chan is waving around a paper fan just like the one she used in her appearance in the ZS Xmas special.

I replaced my blood with maple syrup this time JUST to be able to withstand the epic CUTE of this picture.  ^v^

[And even at that, I feel my syrup blood crystalizing by the sheer force of Cute.... ugh...]

*drools and starts losing proper motor coordination*  OvO

But the sketch is brilliant and so appropriately Vintage-tanish.  ^.^
Especially among the trio, this is something they would probably do on occasion -- since they hail from an era when coordinated dance and original songs were a way of life.  ^^

All of them are drawn with frightening accuracy for a notebook paper sketch, and optimum sweet appeal -- again, if you were to travel back in time to show your earlier self what you're capable of now, I wonder what she would think of it (and you, having come so far).  ^^

This was about an hour's work...plus I added some explanations of what I actually did. You can catch someone a fish and feed them for a day, but if you teach someone to fish you can feed them for a lifetime.

It's no problem at all; I'm glad to help when I can ^^

This was about an hour's work...plus I added some explanations of what I actually did. You can catch someone a fish and feed them for a day, but if you teach someone to fish you can feed them for a lifetime.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, BELLA-HIME!!!!!  ^V^
Believe me, today you made someone else besides Aurora-hime very happy. ^.^

Indeed, the shading assessment is correct -- still surprised Aurora-hime said she had trouble with it, when in fact she did bottom-up lighting reasonably well back with her old chimera OS-tan pictures.  ^^

When in doubt, reference shots (like the GITS one shown) are very helpful, especially when trying to recreate ANIME shading (which naturally is more stylized than realistic imagery).  But when it comes to any kind of shading, a good strong flashlight is always an invaluable tool to witness (in real life) how shading really works.  Many of my most ambitious shading works (such as the early shading test in my eComstation-tan picture) were based off of real scenes that captivated me and made me want to imitate it in one of my drawings.

The finally Unix-sama picture is looking fantastic -- and due to the lighting which makes her look more menacing, eerily similar to the depiction of her I had planned for her debut picture (the one I promised myself I would do 2.5 years ago, right after the equally-defunct PCDOS-tan comic panel.... -v-).  In that proposed picture, though, she was on her wheelchair and rolled (by Solaris-sama) across lighting filtered through from a steel-grate floor -- a lighting experiment too complicated even by my current standards, let alone what I could do at that time.  -v-

I downloaded the SVG and I think I will learn a lot from it. I am especially impressed on how you do the folds, and know where exactly where to put the shading and highlights that indicate them!

"SHE who finds the secret of the Fold Master shall find the Secret to Life itself!"  ^___^

===

I feel a bit cowardly asking this, especially since I have a hard time asking people to do something I myself cannot commit to.  But if at all possible, I hope.... or rather I beg... that, if appropriate, you two will be able to work together on many many things.  You're both highly committed, attenetive, friendly, and creative -- as a kind of "half-CLAMP" team, I think a lot of incredible things could come about from greater partnership.  Or at least that's how I think, foolish little pig that I am who can't even manage a tewam worth squat....  -v-

Either way, no matter what comes about, now that I am very very proud of you two, and beyond overjoyed to have had the privilege of knowing such a talented pair of ladies.  ^^

============

*drops tot he floor with exhaustion*

And............ that's it,/...........  I'm done....  XvX

*passes out*  x____x

Bella

QuoteBrilliant work, and thank you for adding in helpful notes too!

The problem a lot of people have with folds is getting to complicated with them. It's especially easy with a pleated skirt like this, basically doing a zig-zag between the bottom of the skirt to the end of the pleat line, and then doing another straight line downward. Adding a few nodes at the top of each zig-zag can make it look a bit more realistic as well.

QuoteIt's still absolutely remarkable that you're doing this! I'm so happy -- Aurora-hime's first UNIX-sama. ^^

And Unix-sama is looking so...utterly...cute!

...in an insanely powerful, don't-mess-with-me-noob kinda way. ^.^

QuoteI replaced my blood with maple syrup this time JUST to be able to withstand the epic CUTE of this picture. ^v^

[And even at that, I feel my syrup blood crystalizing by the sheer force of Cute.... ugh...]

*drools and starts losing proper motor coordination* OvO

But the sketch is brilliant and so appropriately Vintage-tanish. ^.^
Especially among the trio, this is something they would probably do on occasion -- since they hail from an era when coordinated dance and original songs were a way of life. ^^

All of them are drawn with frightening accuracy for a notebook paper sketch, and optimum sweet appeal -- again, if you were to travel back in time to show your earlier self what you're capable of now, I wonder what she would think of it (and you, having come so far). ^^

Omnomnom...with maple syrup blood you're going to be attracting the NHite vamprires...

I forgot to comment on this one. I agree that a barbershop quartet is well-suited for this group of Vintage-tans. AtariDOS-tan is the cutest of the group (to me at least), but it's almost impossible to say because they're all so darn sweet looking!  ][-tan and PET-chan are adorable, too, but GS/OS-tan I have to love as well (the wing thing).

QuoteTHANK YOU SO MUCH, BELLA-HIME!!!!! ^V^
Believe me, today you made someone else besides Aurora-hime very happy. ^.^

Indeed, the shading assessment is correct -- still surprised Aurora-hime said she had trouble with it, when in fact she did bottom-up lighting reasonably well back with her old chimera OS-tan pictures. ^^

I always thought the lighting in the Mac to the Future picture was quite well done!

QuoteWhen in doubt, reference shots (like the GITS one shown) are very helpful, especially when trying to recreate ANIME shading (which naturally is more stylized than realistic imagery). But when it comes to any kind of shading, a good strong flashlight is always an invaluable tool to witness (in real life) how shading really works. Many of my most ambitious shading works (such as the early shading test in my eComstation-tan picture) were based off of real scenes that captivated me and made me want to imitate it in one of my drawings.

Yeah, I agree that real-life reference shots are very useful to look at; even just observing things around you can be very valuable.

QuoteThe finally Unix-sama picture is looking fantastic -- and due to the lighting which makes her look more menacing, eerily similar to the depiction of her I had planned for her debut picture (the one I promised myself I would do 2.5 years ago, right after the equally-defunct PCDOS-tan comic panel.... -v-). In that proposed picture, though, she was on her wheelchair and rolled (by Solaris-sama) across lighting filtered through from a steel-grate floor -- a lighting experiment too complicated even by my current standards, let alone what I could do at that time. -v-

Yeah, the bottom-lighting does add to her...scariness, doesn't it? ^^

I think you could've done something like that, though, as the lighting isn't all that difficult...it's just a matter of reversing the shading and using more contrast, really. Maybe the grates would have made it a bit more difficult, though.

Though that picture, I admit, sounds eerily like one I wanted to do with Unix-sama in her wheelchair being pushed by Linux-sama. Okay, except this would have been outside, along a beautiful tiled path, with several beady-eyed, confused and/or shocked Unix-tans hiding behind a nearby tree.

QuoteI feel a bit cowardly asking this, especially since I have a hard time asking people to do something I myself cannot commit to. But if at all possible, I hope.... or rather I beg... that, if appropriate, you two will be able to work together on many many things. You're both highly committed, attenetive, friendly, and creative -- as a kind of "half-CLAMP" team, I think a lot of incredible things could come about from greater partnership. Or at least that's how I think, foolish little pig that I am who can't even manage a tewam worth squat.... -v-

Either way, no matter what comes about, now that I am very very proud of you two, and beyond overjoyed to have had the privilege of knowing such a talented pair of ladies. ^^

I would like to ask you (Aurora) the same thing. I do consider you one of my artistic constants, and one of the people here who have inspired me to do my best.
I would not still be here if I didn't have people to share ideas and brainstorm with...so I truly hope that we work together in the future, too...even if it's just helping each other out with our comics and picture ideas; or as big as a collaborative drawing :3

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "C-Chan"
It's still absolutely remarkable that you're doing this!  I'm so happy -- Aurora-hime's first UNIX-sama.  ^^
Thanks! I got the inspiration for this right away after seeing Bella's latest picture of her, but also inspired by your vector sketch of her (I really liked the kind of mood it gives out). The lighting from the bottom is intended to give her a more menacing look :D

I replaced my blood with maple syrup this time JUST to be able to withstand the epic CUTE of this picture.  ^v^
Be careful- pork + maple syrup sounds kinda delicious... Not that I am tempted or anything!

*drools and starts losing proper motor coordination*  OvO

But the sketch is brilliant and so appropriately Vintage-tanish.  ^.^
Especially among the trio, this is something they would probably do on occasion -- since they hail from an era when coordinated dance and original songs were a way of life.  ^^
So the trio is from old times, of musicals! Although GS/OS-chan is much younger than the trio, she still likes to tag along too!

I'm mostly done with the vector sketch to show them in color which I'll post up tonight. I hope you'll still be here to see it.

All of them are drawn with frightening accuracy for a notebook paper sketch, and optimum sweet appeal -- again, if you were to travel back in time to show your earlier self what you're capable of now, I wonder what she would think of it (and you, having come so far).  ^^
Hmm...
*goes back in time to see herself 2 years ago*

2008 self: Check this out! *shows 2006 self current work*

2006 self: OMG!! You can come up with backstories, sappy comics and have a much better fashion sense than I do! And you can use them scary vector graphics!

2008 self: I find vector graphics to actually be much easier than doing everything by hand.

2006 self: Inconcievable! 0__0

When in doubt, reference shots (like the GITS one shown) are very helpful, especially when trying to recreate ANIME shading (which naturally is more stylized than realistic imagery).
I gotta stop relying on my fail-worthy memory! XD

But when it comes to any kind of shading, a good strong flashlight is always an invaluable tool to witness (in real life) how shading really works.  Many of my most ambitious shading works (such as the early shading test in my eComstation-tan picture) were based off of real scenes that captivated me and made me want to imitate it in one of my drawings.
I have used flashlights in a dark room to test out lighting before. I try to do a lot of observing these days to help me too.

The finally Unix-sama picture is looking fantastic -- and due to the lighting which makes her look more menacing, eerily similar to the depiction of her I had planned for her debut picture (the one I promised myself I would do 2.5 years ago, right after the equally-defunct PCDOS-tan comic panel.... -v-).  In that proposed picture, though, she was on her wheelchair and rolled (by Solaris-sama) across lighting filtered through from a steel-grate floor -- a lighting experiment too complicated even by my current standards, let alone what I could do at that time.  -v-
It is HUUUUGE bummer that you had so many great picture ideas you could never fulfill ;__;

But all the pictures you had the time to draw all are fantastic! ;010

I feel a bit cowardly asking this, especially since I have a hard time asking people to do something I myself cannot commit to.  But if at all possible, I hope.... or rather I beg... that, if appropriate, you two will be able to work together on many many things.  You're both highly committed, attenetive, friendly, and creative -- as a kind of "half-CLAMP" team, I think a lot of incredible things could come about from greater partnership.  Or at least that's how I think, foolish little pig that I am who can't even manage a tewam worth squat....  -v-

Either way, no matter what comes about, now that I am very very proud of you two, and beyond overjoyed to have had the privilege of knowing such a talented pair of ladies.  ^^
Sure, I will stay, collaborate and help as much as I can. Although, It may be difficult without you; the Linux tech support expert and Vintage-tan expert!

It is so sad that you will be leaving!! ;__;  It is inevitable that everyone will leave eventually, but this still came as a shock to me. I remember that in the spring of 2007 you had plans on leaving but fortunately for one reason or another you decided to stay (think of all the awesome pictures and ideas you wouldn't have made if you left the first time you planned to!).

I guess things are different this time. You will be missed a whole lot, you really really will. In the almost 2.5 years you have been here, you have contributed so much from creating several new OS-tan characters with brilliant designs and backstories, creating the Annex Project (a wonderful undertaking in the world of OS-tans, and although its thread is long dead,  it all still lives on and is being continued to this day!) to organize all new characters and integrate them well into an OS-tan universe, suggest all kinds of great ideas for character concepts and stories, help people with all matters related to Linux, introduce other artists to Inkscape, edit the OS-tan wiki. And of course, commenting on others' works in your very kind, witty and encouraging way.

Why, I even learned some important philosophy and economics stuff from you, and also learned from you to keep things simple and don't get bogged down with overambition (most notably with the ZS Xmas special!).

I believe that I am speaking on behalf of many OSC members, past and present with this speech. Thank you for everything, C-Chan!

Quote from: "Bella"
The problem a lot of people have with folds is getting to complicated with them. It's especially easy with a pleated skirt like this, basically doing a zig-zag between the bottom of the skirt to the end of the pleat line, and then doing another straight line downward. Adding a few nodes at the top of each zig-zag can make it look a bit more realistic as well.
I have learned how to draw pleated skirts and dresses better than I could before by observing your drawings!

I always thought the lighting in the Mac to the Future picture was quite well don
Even though I used a reference picture, I still really like how it turned out! Aw man... Speaking of that Mac to the Future picture, I was planning on revamping it!

Yeah, the bottom-lighting does add to her...scariness, doesn't it? ^^
Just as planned! ;006

Though that picture, I admit, sounds eerily like one I wanted to do with Unix-sama in her wheelchair being pushed by Linux-sama. Okay, except this would have been outside, along a beautiful tiled path, with several beady-eyed, confused and/or shocked Unix-tans hiding behind a nearby tree.
Ahahaha! A beautiful and funny picture idea!

I would like to ask you (Aurora) the same thing. I do consider you one of my artistic constants, and one of the people here who have inspired me to do my best.
I would not still be here if I didn't have people to share ideas and brainstorm with...so I truly hope that we work together in the future, too...even if it's just helping each other out with our comics and picture ideas; or as big as a collaborative drawing :3
Of course I will stay and continue contributing as much as I can. I feel the same way too. I'd end up leaving I didn't have anyone to brainstorm OS-tan ideas with!

Although it will be difficult for me without C-Chan's help, I will stay strong for you and the other artists of OSC.

Siya

So...to skip around to things I've missed....

OMG!  The updated Festering Hate-tan sketch is awesome!  As is DexOS-tan!  I had been pondering how a DexOS-tan should be done.  You did an excellent job! ^^

The coffee pool party picture amused me very much!

*gasp!*  KolibriOS, too!?  She's awesome!  Amazing design.  She's dangerously close to becoming my favorite...

The User Space Gang pic is epically awesome!  I see DragonflyBSD-tan is finally showing her wings.  Does this mean her design is complete? Also, several cheers for a colored version of MidnightBSD-san!  Hurrah!  Hurrah!  Hurrah!

Sorry for the ones I missed.  I assure you I liked them, also.  There's just so many that I've missed since I've been gone! DX

C-Chan

Omnomnom...with maple syrup blood you're going to be attracting the NHite vamprires...

Well... if it's for you... ^___^ (you are a vampire?)
I guess... it's time to do a little... self-sacrifice.... -v-

*tries to imitate Boota from Gurren Lagann and pulls his own tail out to offer as an energy boost*

OH $#&@!!!!!!!!!!!  THAT HURTS!!!!!!!!!!  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!! >>>>>>>>0<<<<<<<<<

QuoteI forgot to comment on this one. I agree that a barbershop quartet is well-suited for this group of Vintage-tans. AtariDOS-tan is the cutest of the group (to me at least), but it's almost impossible to say because they're all so darn sweet looking! ][-tan and PET-chan are adorable, too, but GS/OS-tan I have to love as well (the wing thing).

Admittedly, AtariDOS-chan is the apple of my eye in this one too.  Not to say the others aren't either -- just that she adds a few more grams of sugar to her sweet, delicious cakey.  ^___^

QuoteI always thought the lighting in the Mac to the Future picture was quite well done!

That's another example, true.  ^^

QuoteI think you could've done something like that, though, as the lighting isn't all that difficult...it's just a matter of reversing the shading and using more contrast, really. Maybe the grates would have made it a bit more difficult, though.

Indeed, the grates would have required adding the highlights in segmented squares rather than the usual full strips.  

Another technique I've yet to try out but have always wanted to is tree light filtering.  In some Anime you will see characters lying or walking under a tree be completely in the shade, save for some cloudshaped formations around their face and bodies, representing the small slivers of light that make it through the leaves.  It makes more sense if you look at a live example, but I've always viewed that as a very elegant technique.

Perhaps someday... -v-

Oh darn, that would have been definitely lulzworthy. Still could be though.  ^____^
[coincidentally,... they DO happen to be underneath a tree.... hmmm.....  -v-]

QuoteI would like to ask you (Aurora) the same thing. I do consider you one of my artistic constants, and one of the people here who have inspired me to do my best.

Is happy.  ^^

QuoteBe careful- pork + maple syrup sounds kinda delicious... Not that I am tempted or anything!

*splits tail in half and offers the other to Aurora-hime

*gushing tears*  Bon appetit... ;^x^;

So the trio is from old times, of musicals! Although GS/OS-chan is much younger than the trio, she still likes to tag along too!

I'm mostly done with the vector sketch to show them in color which I'll post up tonight. I hope you'll still be here to see it.

Thank you again Aurora-hime for doing this.  ^^

I would imagine that, even though GS/OS-chan is younger and nimbler, she actually doesn't hold a candle to the girls when it comes to song and dance.  She simply didn't grow up in an environment that asked her to be that clever.  ^^;

Good thing that's just a picture, though -- in motion, she'd probably show the occasional goof.  ^.^;
Meanwhile, the younger-looking girls are not only in perfect unison, we have two adding extra entertainment value, and one doing it all WITH HER EYES CLOSED!  Simply amazing, isn't it?  ^.^

QuoteHmm...
*goes back in time to see herself 2 years ago*

2008 self: Check this out! *shows 2006 self current work*

2006 self: OMG!! You can come up with backstories, sappy comics and have a much better fashion sense than I do! And you can use them scary vector graphics!

2008 self: I find vector graphics to actually be much easier than doing everything by hand.

2006 self: Inconcievable! 0__0

Fufufu~!!  Don't forget to leave a candy wrapper lying around when you're done.  ^___^

I honestly didn't know you found vector graphics scary. ^.^

It is HUUUUGE bummer that you had so many great picture ideas you could never fulfill ;__;

But all the pictures you had the time to draw all are fantastic! /quote]

Thank you Aurora-hime.  -v-
I won't give up OS-tan artwork though.  I do want to focus on programming, so you could say I'm simply switching mediums.  

If I'm done with my Concentration game and have it available in an accessible location on the web, I hope you'll be willing to download it, try it (I'll aim for cross-compatibility), and maybe add a bit to it.  Remember, given that it carries with it descriptions of each OS-tan, it is intended to serve as a kind of portable and interactive OS-tan Wiki.  ^^

QuoteSure, I will stay, collaborate and help as much as I can. Although, It may be difficult without you; the Linux tech support expert and Vintage-tan expert!

It is so sad that you will be leaving!! ;__; It is inevitable that everyone will leave eventually, but this still came as a shock to me. I remember that in the spring of 2007 you had plans on leaving but fortunately for one reason or another you decided to stay (think of all the awesome pictures and ideas you wouldn't have made if you left the first time you planned to!).

I guess things are different this time. You will be missed a whole lot, you really really will. In the almost 2.5 years you have been here, you have contributed so much from creating several new OS-tan characters with brilliant designs and backstories, creating the Annex Project (a wonderful undertaking in the world of OS-tans, and although its thread is long dead, it all still lives on and is being continued to this day!) to organize all new characters and integrate them well into an OS-tan universe, suggest all kinds of great ideas for character concepts and stories, help people with all matters related to Linux, introduce other artists to Inkscape, edit the OS-tan wiki. And of course, commenting on others' works in your very kind, witty and encouraging way.

Why, I even learned some important philosophy and economics stuff from you, and also learned from you to keep things simple and don't get bogged down with overambition (most notably with the ZS Xmas special!).

I believe that I am speaking on behalf of many OSC members, past and present with this speech. Thank you for everything, C-Chan!

Thank you Aurora-hime.  Your words are very sweet and sincere and they mean the world to me.

I don't want you to be sad, because after all, as you said, I should have been gone a looooong time ago.  You and Bella were primarily my raison d'etre, and as you also said I got a lot done (and helped you gals get a lot done) thanks to the fun and consistent communication of ideas.  My departure has to do with many factors that may not be visible out here in the fun sections of the forum -- you'll remember I offered to talk about that in private.

Reading your speech and believing every word that kind and honest Aurora-hime says, I really should feel happy that I got so much accomplished within the near 3 years I've been here.  I couldn't make the forum the definitive epicenter of the OS-tan world... heaven knows I tried... but at least in trying I managed to help many many people feel right at home and foster their talents.  Instead of quantity, I was given the luxury of helping out some real QUALITY members!

I'm ever glad and grateful that I not only managed to be of service to you and others, but that you also allow me to reciprocate that as well.  I thank YOU for helping me during times of need, for replying so diligently to my posts, for remembering every detail of my characters and their backtories, for contributing so much to the OS-tan wiki, for drawing in the cute, creative and whimsical style that I've come to grow and love, for being open-minded and attentive,.....

But most of all.

Thank you for being with me. ^^
I leave with no regrets of being a social animal... it made me happier than I ever thought I would be.  ^___^

I hope to see you around, my dear old friend Aurora-hime!  ^v^

Aurora Borealis

I still have some responding to do, and noticed a Siya sighting (Quick! Grab the nets, folks!) but I'll post up the beta vector sketch of the Binteeji Quartet picture:

Siya