What anime are ya watching?

Started by SleepyD, August 25, 2006, 05:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

at least it's not what i thought it was. o__o;;
click to make it bigger

Cockleshell

damnit i have 2 seasons of monogatari on my computer i should probably watch them
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Chocofreak13

do eet. and i assume it's Bakemonogatari and its affiliates?

that one was good. i should watch it, too. >>;
click to make it bigger

Balrith

Chocofreak13

FINALLY WATCHED LITTLE WITCH ACADEMIA.

we've been putting on random things on the tv recently, mostly daria. but i had an urge to watch some anime, so since Jack (formerly known as Greg, will explain if asked) was interested too, we put it on. and we ended up watching the other entries into the Young Animator Training Project for 2013.

Young Animator Training Project: ShowHide

for those not in the know, the YATP is a program started in 2010 by the Japanese Animation Creators Association. every year, 4 studios are selected and they send their most junior members on their own to make a short film (between 15-40 minutes, usually about half an hour). despite the hype behind Trigger using Kickstarter to fund Little Witch Academia, it was actually an entry into the YATP, not a standalone project. Trigger was one of 4 studios in 2013, the other ones being Madhouse, Gonzo, and Zexcs. Pierrot was supposed to enter, but for reasons unknown they dropped out and were replaced by Zexcs.

Little Witch Academia: ShowHide

honestly, it was shorter than i had anticipated, and was more hyped up than what it delivered. still, it was very, very good, cute, and colourful. the animation style is also quite unique, and akin to KlK, leading me to believe that the fluid, large-eyed, bouncy style may be Trigger's signature. that, and the weird. Trigger is so goddamn weird.

Death Pool: ShowHide

Madhouse's contribution got me very excited since Madhouse is my favourite japanese animation studio. i didn't know what to expect going in, but me and the guys loved it, with the story being sharp and (for lack of a better term) unique, with excellent animation and real, powerful emotion, as to be expected from the geniuses over at Madhouse. all 3 of us also agreed that, were Madhouse to follow up on it, this would make for a great full-length series, with a monster-of-the-week format.

Ryo, Gonzo's contribution, was dramatic and cold. still, though, i really enjoyed it, but i feel it may have gotten outweighed in my mind by the others. it was a samurai drama and very action-packed, with a suspenseful ending and genuine heartbreak. i'm not sure if it completely wrapped up all the loose ends, but i'm sure if i watched it again i'd understand it more.

Arve Rezzle: ShowHide

this was the one i liked the least, but only because it was a bit disjointed. i think Zexcs may continue this as a longer-running series, and if they do, i'll probably enjoy it more, but for the time being all 3 of us complained of the herky-jerky narrative and confusing plot that lasted till halfway through the film. the concept is great, the art style like nothing i've ever seen (in a good way), but without a longer timeslot, it remains an odd entry into the project.

i plan on reviewing all of these on the blog at some point, but i want to review them in year order, so the first ones to be seen will be from 2010. before that, though, i think i'll review The Ocean Waves, since it seems i didn't review it (i remember writing something.....but maybe it was for here?).

EDIT: oh right, we watched the Fuccons. it was......interesting. and short, very very short.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Well, Trigger is formed of former Gainax employees; I believe including some of the ones responsible for Panty & Stocking, so... ^^;

Chocofreak13

weeeeeiiiird. is their bread and butter.
click to make it bigger

Balrith

Sakasama no Patema is finally available with decent subs.

So excited

Chocofreak13

saw Super Veggie Torracman the other day. it was delightfully weird. xD
i plan on watching the rest of the Young Animator Training Project 2010 today. gonna do a block review for it for next week. (first, though, i need to review The Ocean Waves for last week's review... >>; )
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, finally downloading Ranma 1\2 and plan to try it out soon. I remember watching one of the movies ages ago (Ranma 1\2: Big Trouble in Nekonron, China. If you ever hear me say "rice & pickled vegetables", it originated from that movie -w-; ), and I liked it, so I figured I'd finally give the series a try

Chocofreak13

well, rice and pickled vegetables ARE good. -w-

and Ranma is a CLASSIC. i haven't seen it myself, but basically everyone knows about it and i'm willing to bet most of my older anime friends have seen it. it's Takahashi's big hit between Urusei Yatsura and Inuyasha (which is to say that it is THE Takahashi of the 90's).
(also, technically Maison Ikkoku is a cult classic, but is much less known than her other works from what i know.)

watched and reviewed the rest of the YATP 2010 yesterday, there will be a review live tonight. though i don't think any of you outside of pent actually READ my reviews, i REEEEALLY encourage you to read this one; the 2010 shorts were beyond spectacular. :000
click to make it bigger

stewartsage

I've never been a super big fan of Rumiko Takahashi frankly.

Chocofreak13

UY and Inuyasha have a special place in my heart, but i don't feel a strong loyalty towards her the way i do towards Takeuchi-san or Oda-sensei.
click to make it bigger

Simonorged

Simon was here :P

Chocofreak13

yesterday: YATP 2012 entries, Minding My Own Business (Shiranpuri) and Wasurenagumo (Little Spider Girl?).

first one was really sentimental and touching. the second, oh god, dat twist, oh gooooood. xDDD
click to make it bigger