OS/2 Warp-tan & RISC OS-tan

Started by C-Chan, August 13, 2006, 08:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Hello everyone!
Despite a few delays, I finally managed to whip up the chibi of the week!

Please welcome the true Windows alternative and founder of the Anti$oft Coalition....

...OS/2 Warp-tan!!  ^__^

<<<NOTE: PICTURE MOVED TO Annex>>>

Still have a bio backlog, so this has to be yet another Post-&-Run!  ^^'

But as usual, just a few quick bullets:

- For a brief introduction and history about the OS/2 Operating System, please visit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2

Of course, there's still a huge and active OS/2 community out there that can explain the finer details.

- The Star Trek theme isn't artistic license - it actually has a lot to do with the real OS.

- I had an awful lot fun with her hair, as a way to illustrate her superior multithreading capabilities.  There are 6 and a half ponytails total, each representing all Star Trek series released to date.  (FYI, the half is for Star Trek: Enterprise.)

- Any similarities to the Windows NT's are purely intentional.  While she's only the half-sister of the original Windows -tans, it's suspected that her relationship to the NT -tans runs a little deeper.  

- Despite that, she hates the Windows-tans with a vengeance and does everything in her power to torment them.  She's received traditionally poor support from IBM and suffers from increasing obsolence relative to the modern Windows -tans, but this by no way means she's a pushover.  With a bitter and volatile temperment, anyone ignorant of ways to safely approach her would be best advised to avoid her.  -__-'

NewYinzer

Captain's Blog, Stardate 1994:

IBM and Microsoft have released a new OS. Her name is OS/2 Warp, and shall dominate the computer market. Tremble NT and 95, for OS/2 has arrived!

Great job C-Chan (as always)!

C-Chan

Thank you, NewYinzer!  ^___^

hehehe... "dominate" the computer market....  ^^;
Well, it was only IBM by then that released her (Microsoft having pulled their "fast one" 4 years earlier) and she COULD'VE dominated.  But IBM, as much as Microsoft and 3rd party developers, deserves much of the blame for her demise.

OS/2 can still live on as an open source OS, but even then IBM is still reluctant to give her any kind of life after "death" so to speak (IBM will officially pull the plug on her 12/31/2006).

It's no surprise that OS/2-tan hardly ever shows a sweet side -- the poor thing's known nothing but betrayal all her life.... ;___;

C-Chan added the following  7 minutes after last message :

Not much in the way of easter eggs on her, but (as with all OS-tans) clues of her identity are scattered throughout her body (e.g, her skirt and hair color).

Unfortunately, at this size, most of her logo renditions are barely visible.  So here's a closeup for your convenience:

NewYinzer

IBM has caused the destruction of other OSes:

CP/M-86: IBM wanted to sell CP/M, but Digital Research didn't want to give up their rights to it. They then went to Microsoft for MS-DOS, the CP/M clone. Fearing a lawsuit, they offered to sell MS-DOS and CP/M-86 side by side. However, they sold MS-DOS at a lower price, so CP/M-86 fell out of favor and Digital Research collapsed.
OS/2: Originally regarded as "Windows Plus" by Steve Ballmer, it was the "OS of the Future". However, due to the bad decisions of IBM, it was not packaged with computers like Win3.0, so it never caught on.

C-Chan

Don't get her started on that prepackage blunder, now.  ^__^'

A rampage by anyone equipped with a phaser is NOT a healthy thing for anyone tonight......  ^.^

Correct me if I'm wrong, but CP/M-86 is in fact just one of the many previous incarnations of DR-DOS, right?  ^__^
In the interests of time, I'd really like for DR-DOS-tan to just be a catch-all for all her previous incarnations (e.g, CP/M, DOS Plus, Novell DOS, OpenDOS, etc....)

Darknight_88

uuuuuhhh. Not sure, but *maybe* the head could go a milimeter or 2 more to the right. But not sure.

uuuuuuuhhhh...Higurashi style eyes  o_o . And she has a gun...not a good combination
*runs for 95-tan...no, all the Windows family help*

Nice design...but...a gun...what a dishonorable way of fighting. Katanna FTW!!!
:D

C-Chan

Hehe.... it's probably the ton of hair that makes her look disproportionately lopsided.  ^__^
I know if I had THAT much hair, my neck would need the constant attention of a chiropractor.  -v-

Oh, and that's a little worse than a gun....  ^__-

'Tis a Phaser,... she is a die-hard Star Trek fan, after all.  ^___^

But don't worry too much about it.  It may be dangerous, but leave it to that wretched IBM to provide her with a dismal annual stipend that barely covers food,... let alone extra power cells.  ^__^;

And though she has her own business (which helps fund the Anti$oft Coalition, which in turn is dedicated to the complete and utter destruction of Microsoft), you can imagine that sales are a little slow these days (understatement).  ^.^;

NewYinzer

QuoteCorrect me if I'm wrong, but CP/M-86 is in fact just one of the many previous incarnations of DR-DOS, right? ^__^
In the interests of time, I'd really like for DR-DOS-tan to just be a catch-all for all her previous incarnations (e.g, CP/M, DOS Plus, Novell DOS, OpenDOS, etc....)

If you would like to learn more look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M

Or look at the video about its creater, Gary Kildall, here:

http://www.commodore.ca/gallery/video/video.htm

C-Chan

W.... O.... W......  @__@

Talk about valuable research material (the videos).  Thank ye, NewYinzer!  ^-^

15 points for you.  ^.^

NewYinzer

QuoteW.... O.... W...... @__@

Talk about valuable research material (the videos). Thank ye, NewYinzer! ^-^

15 points for you. ^.^

You sound like me when I found the videos, several years ago. The Gary Kildall one explains CP/M the best. The Jack Tramiel one details the beginning of the end for Atari and Commodore, and talks about the early Amiga.

Darknight_88

uh? btw, why the StarTrek-based design? what's the relation between an OS and a series o_o?
Posting from a Win2k, 128 RAM and PIII @ 800Mhz PC. This is sloooooooooooooowwwwww

C-Chan

Quoteuh? btw, why the StarTrek-based design? what's the relation between an OS and a series ?
Posting from a Win2k, 128 RAM and PIII @ 800Mhz PC. This is sloooooooooooooowwwwww

Fufufu.....  ^.^
You know,... OS/2 is so efficient, that with those pics it can still run like the wind!  ^_-

But all gloating aside, I'm glad you asked.  ^__^

Apparently, the IBM programmers were major Star Trek fans; and just like OSX versions are released with cat names, OS/2 versions (at least since the Microsoft breakup) were released with Star Trek-related names.  The name for the first major and most commercially-viable OS/2 release in 1994 was called "Warp" (after, of course, the fictional the method that Star Trek ships travel through space without the problems posed by light speed travel).

The association doesn't end there,...
During the opening ceremony for OS/2 warp, IBM wanted to hire Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard) to be the master of ceremonies, but instead opted for Kate Mulgrew (Captain Janeway) in honor of the then upcoming series "Voyager".  Even a video demo for the OS had Leonard Nimoy (Spock) highlighting the many features of the system.

Speaking of Spock, a friend of mine who saw the pic suggested I add Vulcan ears to her to further press both the Star Trek theme and the cat look.  I think that's already too much (besides, then she'd REALLY start to look like 2K-tan or the bootleg NT-tan), but that wouldn't be bad for fancomic material.  ^__^

Darknight_88

=O

naaa, I like the way it is, without cat ears. The eyes reminds me of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (see attached picture). And if OS/2 is as *evil* as you say, I think it suits her well :D

and this comp its sloooooowwww because 128 RAM doesn't help a lot for running Photshop =/

C-Chan

So cute, it's evil....  ^__^
You're right, that character almost has some cat-eye slits too.  ^.^

Deep down inside, OS/2 really isn't evil; but as far as the Windows girls (and sometimes Macs) are concerned, she's a borderline psychopath.  ^__^'

I remember my poor old 98-tan had only 128 megs of RAM, so even Photoshop 4.0/5.0 ran slow on her.  At the time I compensated with Paintshop Pro, but yeah it wasn't really the same.....  Ã,¬_Ã,¬

I would still need to whip up the "Shop" for the more complicated details.

Darknight_88

Quote from: "C-Chan"

Deep down inside, OS/2 really isn't evil

:D