On Topic[less]

Started by DustiiWolf, November 27, 2013, 10:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

As I said in the other thread, it depends on how advanced the tech is in your story universe, and how much biological artistic license you're comfortable with taking. I wouldn't overthink it — if you don't want to, that is.

Honestly, the tech in my story universe is probably advanced enough to produce male children from two females (considering that the technology exists to select most other genetic features [hence the huge amount of variability even within families], and also the whole "OS-tans being able to manipulate the physical universe in ways that are apparently magical to outsiders" thing), so I almost have take artistic license to explain why there aren't MORE male OS-tans.

Also, thank you for reminding me that Futaba is a thing! I haven't been on there in ages.

I'm not a huge fan of any of the post-Lion Mac-tan designs, but I can't help but like this one. (Esu's is good also.)

winduko

I really like your idea. I don't want to overthink it at all, but if the question comes up (and it probably will, seeing as it would be genetically impossible under normal circumstances), I need an answer. This isn't a question that can't be answered.

As for how advanced tech is, it honestly varies. In terms of reproduction, however, it is generally more than advanced enough for two people of the same sex to have a child, as well as clones being not terribly uncommon. Given that the clones are very often given genetic modifications, it would be hard to believe that a pre-natal sex change in the chromosomes would be hard.

And I like those designs too, and I'm not a huge fan of having -tans* of all the OS X releases.
*They still have representation, but more as pet cats to the Mac-tans rather than as humans.

Nichi

...this is completely unrelated, but I just learned that apparently Southwestern Bell ran a 900-number for sports scores back in the '80s. This raises a question: does Unix-tan care about sports, or was this merely a ploy to help fund Bell Labs...and play phones branded with the Bell Labs logo?

Chocofreak13

@kodomo: if you could pass along a link to where you saw that image, that'd be super. it's been awhile and i don't quite remember the address to kasumi.
click to make it bigger

winduko

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on March 16, 2015, 02:14:19 AM
@kodomo: if you could pass along a link to where you saw that image, that'd be super. it's been awhile and i don't quite remember the address to kasumi.

Where the image has been found.

Main adresss

Bella

Quote from: winduko on March 15, 2015, 09:15:00 PMAnd I like those designs too, and I'm not a huge fan of having -tans* of all the OS X releases.
*They still have representation, but more as pet cats to the Mac-tans rather than as humans.

B-but... OS X 10.0 - 10.7 are actually pretty interesting and diverse character wise.

Cheetah-tan is a statuesque, clumsy dominatrix, Puma-tan is is the small, shy, crybaby of the group, Jaguar is the hot-headed artiste, Panther is the elegant, outgoing operatic singer, Tiger-tan is the even more outgoing Mac Family goodwill ambassador, Leopard is the solitary, curious physics student who gets thrown into time traveling shenanigans, becomes Unix-sama's temporal-gofer and effectively strongarms her way into the Unix Family, Snow Leopard is future Leopard-tan who ends up stuck in the past and living alongside Leopard as a result of said time travel shenanigans (who is also hella egomaniacal), Lion-tan is an elegant lady-of-war who is also Snow Leopard's sworn enemy (clash of egos and all that) and ends up kicked out of the Unix Family (note what is missing in this description of SUS-compliant OS X releases), and ... that's about where we left off. Nobody ever devised any personalities for Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite-tan.

Hmmmm...... this seems like a job for me and Kriz............

*draws Apple logo on floor, puts out a ring of candles and multiple images of Mac-tans as a means of summoning the Master of all things Mac*

winduko

I speak from personal experience when I say cats have personalities. Trust me, I will try and get that diversity into ten cats.

As for a representation of Yosemite, all I know is that she dislikes the word "abfonaf," a recurring fictional expletive in my work, but this is more of an in-joke between a friend and me. When my friend was trying Yosemite, she put it on the computer that carried its origins, and Yosemite fucked things up, and caused the proof of the incident to vanish from the world*.
*I may have records on my Windows 8 computer, but I am not dragging it out just to find some funny pictures.

Chocofreak13

DOWNGRADES ARE NECCESSARY
PLEASE DIAL 7 AND TRY AGAIN

also, cats can have a shitload of personalities. take my sister's three cats, for example. we have Teddy, the super-sweet dumbass, Momo, the energetic spazz, and Annabelle, the sadistic sociopath with adorable little bean toes. ^^
click to make it bigger

winduko

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on March 16, 2015, 08:30:02 PM
also, cats can have a shitload of personalities. take my sister's three cats, for example. we have Teddy, the super-sweet dumbass, Momo, the energetic spazz, and Annabelle, the sadistic sociopath with adorable little bean toes. ^^

THANK

I've known four cats really well. There was Precious, the arrogant, yet has all kinds of patience for stupidity, one, who passed away a couple years ago. There is Patches, the easily-scared and loud dumbass; Mr. Mooch, the cuddly one who has no patience for stupidity; and Hissy, the one who hides in the dining room because of a severe fear of humans (cats are fine though, as is my dad) and keeps around an old computer that runs Windows XP Home Edition, and thus exists in my OS-tan canon as Homeko's pet.

Chocofreak13

i'm not sure the sloppy hoarder having a pet is a good idea.....it'd die under a pile of trash were it not for Homeo. ;^;
(though, it MIGHT inspire catboy yaoi, which is ALWAYS a good thing, so yeah. -w-)

Teddy is also quite loud. and Annabelle is easily startled. and tiny!
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on March 17, 2015, 03:49:35 AM
do eet. that you based your universes off each other is news to me. :0

Just going by stuff that's been published, the signs are there:

—Shared characters: SAGE, Whirlwind & Selectric (Stew's characters) have all shown up in my stories, Multics, Unix, WAITS, CTSS and DTSS-tan (my characters) have all shown up in his, Apple III-tan (Aurora's) has featured prominently in both our universes. His characters are all canonical in my story universe.

—Shared timeline: Both occur in a roughly alternate timeline earth where everything is apparently the same except for the existence of anthropomorphic computers, how or why they exist is likely different.

—Nature of OS-tans: We both agree that they are anthropomorphic computers, not literal humans, robots, or constructs of cyberspace. In both our universes, these anthropomorphic computers have existed throughout history (in my storyline, at least, there was an Antikythera Mechanism, Pascal's Calculator and Difference Engine, along with -tans for other early mechanical computing devices — he's expressed similar sentiment) and their exact origins either aren't known or aren't important to the story, since they've always existed alongside human beings.

—OS-tan physiology: Ours both seem to function like regular humans but with special abilities to manipulate spacetime (MERT and Leopard), matter & energy (LGP-30, IBM Auto-Point, LINC, Multics, Unix) and information/data (Multics, WWMCCS), regeneration/healing (a rule for most of my -tans, apparently canon for ILLIAC-tan). Inhuman body parts (wings, tails, animal ears) are found in both.

—Shared factions & places: Unix's Base, the Binteji Renmei and WAITS's place have been featured in both of our stories. The DEC-tans and MIT ... society, whatever, have shown up in his backstories and any of the factions he's proposed are canonically a part of mine.

—Similar social dynamics(?): OS-tan society seems to be led by females, female pairings commonplace, OS-tans and humans seem to treat each other as equals, human creators/mentors, OS-tans apparently work for humans.

winduko

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on March 17, 2015, 08:16:26 AM
i'm not sure the sloppy hoarder having a pet is a good idea.....it'd die under a pile of trash were it not for Homeo. ;^;
(though, it MIGHT inspire catboy yaoi, which is ALWAYS a good thing, so yeah. -w-)

Teddy is also quite loud. and Annabelle is easily startled. and tiny!

Hissy being Homeo's cat does work better, especially for the cat.

Patches is a little one as well. I swear, if either of them are tortoiseshells, then they are like her in ways.

@Bella: Awesome. I have lots of respect for those who gather large amounts of information like that, then share out. I understand how hard that is; my friend and I were compiling Neopets information last week like that.

Chocofreak13

@kodomo: nope, Teddy's tabby brown and white, while Annabelle's a diluted calico. Momo was the weird one of her litter, being that out of 8 kittens, she was the only cow. :0

@bells: hah, does this mean Hollerith-tan's gonna be in your story? >w>

also, technically OSC's ][-tan makes an appearance in my comic (prominent character, actually), named as Shiroyuki-sama. that was just in written plot, however, and hasn't actually been comic'd out. :0
click to make it bigger

winduko

I realized something.

There is literally no reason for the OS X catgirls to not exist in my headcanon.

Turning into animals is very possible in my headcanon (Inu-T, I decided, is the same person as NT-tan and Cairo-tan [two different Inu-Ts], just another form), so people turning into cats is hardly revolutionary.

And seeing as, in my headcanon, there is a 98-tan, a 98FE-tan, and a 98SE-tan, then I'm sure that a Mac OS X-tan and a bunch of Mac OS X version-tans should exist as well.

stewartsage

Wait, why do we need to consolidate or downgrade the OS X.x series to pets?  It isn't like there's some reason (shortage of space for publishing, a need to streamline storytelling) to not have -tans for every conceivable different operating system or major revision of an operating system.