On Topic[less]

Started by DustiiWolf, November 27, 2013, 10:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winduko

Seal of Acceptableness Accepted.

Also, I have a question/Headscratcher. It's seriously bothered me for a long time, and only now did I remember that it bothers me.

Windows Explorer first came with Windows 95.

How come I have yet to see WE-tan or 95-tan (or -kun, for that matter) interact?

My best explanation is that WE-tan modernizes (Windows Explorer is still included in Windows to this day), but the 95s don't, so they just grew apart. Doesn't explain why WE-tan lives with Yamada, a proposed 98-tan, however.

Chocofreak13

it could be.

also, WE lives/works with Yamada (who IS a 98-tan, just not a super-popular one) for storyline purposes. WE's basically her supervisor. if you want a less vague interpretation, however, perhaps because 98 expanded upon Windows Explorer to what we know today? (i didn't research that, just kinda pulled it out of my ass)

WE also interacts a bit with 2k-kun, since they work in the same office. :0
click to make it bigger

Bella

Personally, I'd just interpret Windows Explorer as being a part of 95-tan....

On a related note, am I the only one who interprets desktop environments/window managers as being "clothes" for OS-tans?

The reason I've never made a Xu/Kubuntu/UbuntuMATE-tan is because I imagine it's just Ubuntu-tan in a different outfit....

winduko

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on March 08, 2015, 10:52:33 AMif you want a less vague interpretation, however, perhaps because 98 expanded upon Windows Explorer to what we know today? (i didn't research that, just kinda pulled it out of my ass)

That is true, actually. Windows Explorer, in feel, didn't change too much between 98 and XP/to a lesser extent Vista, and not at all between 98 and ME. From Vista onwards, on the left hand side, it is like the actual program Windows Explorer.

Quote from: Bella on March 08, 2015, 11:10:52 AM
Personally, I'd just interpret Windows Explorer as being a part of 95-tan....

On a related note, am I the only one who interprets desktop environments/window managers as being "clothes" for OS-tans?

Well, WE-tan's hair is pink, as well as 95-tan's kimono... (different shades but lets not get hung up on technicalities)

However, I feel that WE-tan, as we know her, kinda needs to exist in my story. It wouldn't be hard (and probably would be more historically accurate even) to retcon the ME-gijinkas' parents. That, and Yamada also seriously needs to exist, and I feel that Yamada cannot exist without WE-tan.

That explanation makes almost a shitton of sense. Almost because I never see 3.1-tan and NT-tan in the same clothes. But I can handwave that, unlike WE and 95 never seeming to interact much.

However, the desktop environments/window managers being OS-tan clothes explains a surprising amount about 95-tan's cosplaying habit. The interface changed a lot from start to finish.

Nichi

@Duko: That link reminded me; I used to own a book that went into great detail on the development of Windows 95. Although, I was let down on it mostly talking about the extremely technical stuff (The underlying kernel, decisions they had to make in order to ensure it'd run on the hardware of the era and would retain Windows 3.x compatibility, and stuff like that) versus talking about the many changes to the interface (Which, I honestly like the interface from Chicago 58s)

As for Windows Explorer, I admit I never really thought much of her; for years I thought of her and XPME-tan as "clones" of ME-tan (I interpreted WE-tan as being the Wario to ME-tan's Mario, while XPME-tan was born from a botched upgrade from ME to XP; resulting in a hybrid of the two. Neither character has appeared in my stories, for the record -w-; )

On an unrelated note, while at work, I came up with the idea for a comic that should happen: it involves Unix-tan and some of her friends having a movie night, and someone had the bright idea of picking Jurassic Park. Cue Unix-tan's rage over the
"it's a Unix system!" scene xD

Chocofreak13

@bella: actually, visual style/desktop environment as clothes/makeup is canon. though i'd leave that as to why we don't have a GNOME-tan, whereas Xubuntu/etc are actual branch-offs of the Ubuntu structure (as in, you can download it seperately w/o needing Ubuntu). of course, that's not to say they couldn't just be recoloured clones...

@kodomo: i regard her as a seperate character because she is a feature independent of the OS and even of the framework (present regardless of DOS or NTFS). she's been a constant and if i recall she was even developed seperately (again, not much in the way of reference material for that) from 95's OS and as such could just be slapped in wherever she fit.

also, despite slight tweaks depending on the artists' style, are you sure you've been looking at enough pics of NT and 3.1? (and i mean both NT AND Inu-T.) typically, NT sports a pink dress and hairclip (she may or may not be pregnant; Inu-T tends to sport the same dress and collar all the time, too) and 3.1 is basically always in a long, purple lolita dress with some kind of hair ornament. (i've also seen her in a Yukata-Hakama combo and a bikini, but these were just costume changes as far as i'm concerned.)

@pent: were you misinformed? XPME was merely someone's attempt at making a joke -tan for the actual operating system, XPMCE, due to the similarity of the names. she's one of 3 interpretations of XPMCE, the most canon being Moseko.
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Back when I first heard of her, circa...'08 (?), I didn't read the wiki back then; I just saw the name in the gallery and assumed XPME-tan was some sort of hybrid :\

Chocofreak13

that's a fair assumption, okay. :0
click to make it bigger

winduko

I will say that I thought that, during the mid-to-late 90s, 95-tan often wore kimono that either had a cloud pattern or a solid teal colour. The more well-known hana256.bmp kimono didn't come into play until after support ended for 95. This whole conversation reminded me of that.

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on March 09, 2015, 12:19:06 PM
@kodomo: i regard her as a seperate character because she is a feature independent of the OS and even of the framework (present regardless of DOS or NTFS). she's been a constant and if i recall she was even developed seperately (again, not much in the way of reference material for that) from 95's OS and as such could just be slapped in wherever she fit.

If that were the case, then WE-tan being separate makes far too much sense for it not to be the case.

Hell, here is what I know:

Windows Explorer was first developed for Cairo. Then some "minor update" called Chicago came along and Windows Explorer was further developed for Chicago. Chicago would release as Windows 95, and Cairo would sort of come out as Windows NT 4.0 and Windows Vista (a lot of Cairo's promises were developed upon in Longhorn).

I guess one could call it a love triangle, but that is a moot point; 95-tan ends up with NT-tan in the end because the XPs need to be science lesbian babies.

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on March 09, 2015, 12:19:06 PM
also, despite slight tweaks depending on the artists' style, are you sure you've been looking at enough pics of NT and 3.1? (and i mean both NT AND Inu-T.) typically, NT sports a pink dress and hairclip (she may or may not be pregnant; Inu-T tends to sport the same dress and collar all the time, too) and 3.1 is basically always in a long, purple lolita dress with some kind of hair ornament. (i've also seen her in a Yukata-Hakama combo and a bikini, but these were just costume changes as far as i'm concerned.)

The dresses look different enough for me to register them as "different."  Upon closer inspection, the only difference was that 3.1's dress looked fancier.

I will agree that any costume changes in a Japanese-made OS-tan is just a costume change, and me saying otherwise is just speculation.

Chocofreak13

every artist is gonna have his or her style, after all. :0

Cairo was so bitter after Chicago came into play....
click to make it bigger

winduko

Both those things are so true. *nod* Especially Cairo-tan being quite bitter when an inferior became superior because, as far as she was concerned, lol.

Also I've been thinking, if there is a Windows Explorer-tan, then, as far as I'm concerned, a DOSSHELL-tan, an MS-DOS Executive-tan, and a Program Manager-tan may very well be in order.

I even have an idea as to how the family tree would go.

DOSSHELL-tan - MS-DOS Executive-tan
                              |
                              Program Manager-tan
                              |
                              Windows Explorer-tan
                              | |
                              Both Windows ME-tan and Windows ME-kun? (because similarities in appearance?)

I'd imagine the 9x bloodline to be all over the place anyways. The 95 update-tans and 97-tan are 95-tan's daughters, while Hacchan and Secchan are Yamada's daughters. I'm pretty sure that, no matter what genetics either ME-tan or -kun had, 95 and NT probably raised them anyways. Honestly, same goes for the 98 edition-tans. And 95 OSR 2.5-tan has mommy issues.

Chocofreak13

i can't shake the feeling that we already have a DOS Executive-tan, but i'ma need bells to back me up on that.

otherwise, create away, either here or in the New IBM-tans thread. :0
click to make it bigger

Bella

I don't believe there's a DOS Executive-tan. I'm a little confused by the family tree, why would the ME's be Windows Explorer-tan's kids?

Just thinking out loud, but: I was thinking about the vast imbalance of female to male -tans in my (and Stew's) story universe(s) and what might be the reason behind it, I came to the conclusion that if they're mostly reproducing asexually or f/f there wouldn't be any way around having female children, hence the imbalance.

Supporting evidence: The handful of male -tans that exist between in my story universe have a male parent. I'm not sure about Stew's stories but we know KRONOS-kun has a father.

Nichi

@Bella: You know, I've never really thought too deeply about it. Granted, no -kuns have appeared in my stories yet (2k-kun was set to appear in a short story I never got around to writing, but none of the others have appeared so far)...but maybe I might address this eventually :3

winduko

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on March 15, 2015, 10:39:14 AM
i can't shake the feeling that we already have a DOS Executive-tan, but i'ma need bells to back me up on that.

otherwise, create away, either here or in the New IBM-tans thread. :0

I have vague ideas as to what they are like even.

Quote from: Bella on March 15, 2015, 11:38:05 AM
I'm a little confused by the family tree, why would the ME's be Windows Explorer-tan's kids?

I've found a few pictures that support this idea (and only found this one because having my dad awake while I'm looking at os-tan fart sites isn't too different than walking in a minefield). However, out of the things in my headcanon, this is one of the many things that could easily change at any time.

Quote from: Bella on March 15, 2015, 11:38:05 AM
Just thinking out loud, but: I was thinking about the vast imbalance of female to male -tans in my (and Stew's) story universe(s) and what might be the reason behind it, I came to the conclusion that if they're mostly reproducing asexually or f/f there wouldn't be any way around having female children, hence the imbalance.

Supporting evidence: The handful of male -tans that exist between in my story universe have a male parent. I'm not sure about Stew's stories but we know KRONOS-kun has a father.

Interesting. While there are many many more -tans than -kuns in my universe, and the majority of those -kuns have a male parent, some -kuns (XP-kun, Homeo, and maybe ME-kun) don't, but I do have some ideas as to why 95-tan and NT-tan had biological sons, but as I was typing them, I found them too NSFW to post in this topic.

However, because thing happens in my universe doesn't mean at all thing happens in your universe. It honestly doesn't make much sense for women whom are reproducing with other women or in an asexual manner to have sons.