Hot Button Topics (religion, politics, sports)

Started by Simonorged, January 23, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustiiWolf

Quote from: PentiumMMX on December 06, 2013, 10:51:25 AM
I have no real issue with furries. Well, I have some problem with the more obsessed ones who try to shove their fetish down the throats of others, but then again, I hate any sort of people who try to shove something they like down the throat of another, so that in itself is not a problem limited to the furry fandom.

Besides, if you can look past the awkward hentai and lazy Sonic the Hedgehog recolors, there are some really cool character designs out there that come from that fandom :3

Lol. I think Furries, as far as the fandom are concerned, are layered (like an onion). The outer layer is people, who would fall under the basic definition of "fans of anthropomorphic animals", while the core, innermost part is practically a subculture, complete with variations on and changes to societal rules and its own community, almost functioning like a separate society. The sonic-recolorers are usually in the outermost layers, with usually very few exceptions.

Some of the art is cool though, both SFW and NSFW.
Official -tans are my bat signal.

stewartsage

There's a middle layer that neither irritates nor disgusts me, but that's not the point of the gif or anything else.

The scene from Super Troopers breaks down thusly:

The man leaning into the gif is Farva, one of several troopers at a Vermont police barracks, and the most disliked.  Everyone else is a fun-loving nice guy and all his attempts at pranks tend to turn out horribly.   The three gathered in frame for most of the gif have just had a conversation with their Captain in which he has told them to reign in their shenanigans to avoid the barracks being closed, followed by their using the word shenanigans numerous times to the point of annoyance at which he threatens the next person to say shenanigans with being pistol whipped.  Mac (the officer with the pistol) calls to Farva and asks what his favorite resteraunt is, to which he replies 'Shenanigans' and everyone laughs with Mac offering said pistol for the whipping to Captain O'Hagan who glares at them all.

In case you're not up to reading that; it was a layered metaphor but you can still go fuck yourself.

Bella

I'm not a furry, but I can appreciate well-crafted anthro art. Heck, I've even drawn some before, though I'm really not the best at drawing animals so it doesn't happen very often.

People who mock furries (or homestucks, bronies, anime fans, or members of any other popular-and-divisive fandom) for the sheer sake of them being furries are 2edgy4me. Like, how do you even contain that cool? Really though, it's hard for me to be judgmental when I participate in quite a few fandoms that others might find strange or mockable. I want to personally strangle all the dumbasses who reduce the MLP fandom to "fedora'd neckbeards fapping over colorful ponies", so it's really, really, really hard for me not to sympathize with members of other groups who take shit for the questionable choices made at the fringes of their fandoms.

I mean, yeah, there are fetishy types in the furry fandom, but the same can be said for literally. every. other. fandom. Like, ever, in the history of fandoms. And honestly, as long as they're are engaging in their fetishes behind closed doors in a safe and consensual manner, I really don't give a fuck what they're doing (which is exactly how I feel about folks who're into any other legal, consensual sexual activity).

Otherkins are a different story, but I'm willing to tolerate them as long as they don't do dumb shit like compare themselves to transgender people or PoC or "act on their animal instincts" (I'm looking at you, random kids in cafeteria who were talking about murdering birds because of their cat natures).

DustiiWolf

Quote from: stewartsage on December 06, 2013, 06:31:56 PM
There's a middle layer that neither irritates nor disgusts me, but that's not the point of the gif or anything else.

The scene from Super Troopers breaks down thusly:

The man leaning into the gif is Farva, one of several troopers at a Vermont police barracks, and the most disliked.  Everyone else is a fun-loving nice guy and all his attempts at pranks tend to turn out horribly.   The three gathered in frame for most of the gif have just had a conversation with their Captain in which he has told them to reign in their shenanigans to avoid the barracks being closed, followed by their using the word shenanigans numerous times to the point of annoyance at which he threatens the next person to say shenanigans with being pistol whipped.  Mac (the officer with the pistol) calls to Farva and asks what his favorite resteraunt is, to which he replies 'Shenanigans' and everyone laughs with Mac offering said pistol for the whipping to Captain O'Hagan who glares at them all.

In case you're not up to reading that; it was a layered metaphor but you can still go fuck yourself.

I still don't geddit... are you actually telling me to go eff myself? Or is there something im missing?

I also realized that that one part of the fandom that trolls 4chan, treats furries as a fetish, and tries to shove it down peoples throats, giving furries a bad name, is that part of the onion that makes you cry.

Quote from: Bella on December 06, 2013, 07:04:12 PM
I'm not a furry, but I can appreciate well-crafted anthro art. Heck, I've even drawn some before, though I'm really not the best at drawing animals so it doesn't happen very often.

People who mock furries (or homestucks, bronies, anime fans, or members of any other popular-and-divisive fandom) for the sheer sake of them being furries are 2edgy4me. Like, how do you even contain that cool? Really though, it's hard for me to be judgmental when I participate in quite a few fandoms that others might find strange or mockable.

OS-tans would be a prime example. Some would find it strange/mockable, the anthropomorphic personifications of Operating Systems.

I mean, yeah, there are fetishy types in the furry fandom, but the same can be said for literally. every. other. fandom. Like, ever, in the history of fandoms.

Our own gallery could, technically, prove this point.

And honestly, as long as they're are engaging in their fetishes behind closed doors in a safe and consensual manner, I really don't give a fuck what they're doing (which is exactly how I feel about folks who're into any other legal, consensual sexual activity).

Very mature and well said opinion, bella.

Otherkins are a different story, but I'm willing to tolerate them as long as they don't do dumb shit like compare themselves to transgender people or PoC or "act on their animal instincts" (I'm looking at you, random kids in cafeteria who were talking about murdering birds because of their cat natures).

Whats an "otherkin"? ???

Bella

Thanks Dustii. And yeah, OS-tans ARE one of the fandoms I was thinking of. (Although Hetalia and the personification fandom at large may've softened some folks' impressions of the OS-tan fandom, it's still really weird to explain to anyone who isn't familiar with the concept of humanization).

Otherkin are people who "believe" they are animals in the bodies of humans. I put quotes around that because I'm not sure how many sincerely believe it, and how many just think it sounds cool or inspirational or whatever.

I mean, I suppose it's harmless enough in and of itself, but some otherkins claim that they deserve civil rights protections on-par with the ones given to LGBTQA people or, PoC. Others say they their oppression is on-par with that faced by trans* people, which is ridiculous and insulting for a whole number of reasons I shouldn't even have to get into here.

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Bella on December 06, 2013, 07:27:06 PM
Thanks Dustii. And yeah, OS-tans ARE one of the fandoms I was thinking of. (Although Hetalia and the personification fandom at large may've softened some folks' impressions of the OS-tan fandom, it's still really weird to explain to anyone who isn't familiar with the concept of humanization).

Otherkin are people who "believe" they are animals in the bodies of humans. I put quotes around that because I'm not sure how many sincerely believe it, and how many just think it sounds cool or inspirational or whatever.

I mean, I suppose it's harmless enough in and of itself, but some otherkins claim that they deserve civil rights protections on-par with the ones given to LGBTQA people or, PoC. Others say they their oppression is on-par with that faced by trans* people, which is ridiculous and insulting for a whole number of reasons I shouldn't even have to get into here.

Honestly, they sound like extremist lifestylers.

Nichi

Indeed :\

As for people generalizing groups, I honestly hate that so much; like saying that fans of [TV show \ game \ movie \ book \ etc] are all "freaks" because of the vocal minority. I mean, there are perfectly sane Twilight fans, believe it or not; ones that simply enjoy the books, however bad they might be, and don't obsess over wanting to be a vampire or whatever.

Likewise, there are also insane fans of just about anything. I remember Saturday Night Live once did a sketch, formatted like a documentary, on a group of teenage boys who were obsessed with The Golden Girls; watching it religiously, dressing like the main cast, reenacting their favorite episodes, and attempting to mail ideas to the studio for new episodes (Failing to realize the show ended years ago; as one of their mothers pointed out). While a very funny sketch, it does raise a good point that you'll find some people in any fandom who go a little too far; no matter what it might be.

DustiiWolf

Quote from: PentiumMMX on December 06, 2013, 11:08:00 PM
Indeed :\

As for people generalizing groups, I honestly hate that so much; like saying that fans of [TV show \ game \ movie \ book \ etc] are all "freaks" because of the vocal minority. I mean, there are perfectly sane Twilight fans, believe it or not; ones that simply enjoy the books, however bad they might be, and don't obsess over wanting to be a vampire or whatever.

Likewise, there are also insane fans of just about anything. I remember Saturday Night Live once did a sketch, formatted like a documentary, on a group of teenage boys who were obsessed with The Golden Girls; watching it religiously, dressing like the main cast, reenacting their favorite episodes, and attempting to mail ideas to the studio for new episodes (Failing to realize the show ended years ago; as one of their mothers pointed out). While a very funny sketch, it does raise a good point that you'll find some people in any fandom who go a little too far; no matter what it might be.

I also think "too far" is relative to the fandom. Furries, it's common, or at minimum, acceptable, at least, to dress as one's furry personification for conventions and events, and even behaving like an animal for sake of play or acting is ok, and cosplaying OS-tans has no harm either. But behaving like a dog and wearing a fursuit 24/7, or thinking you are actually an OS-tan, and go around behaving like one, is obsessive and unacceptable.

As with any fandom: there is a thin fine line between "fandom" and "obsession"

Chocofreak13

Quote from: DustiiWolf on December 06, 2013, 11:28:23 PM
But behaving like a dog and wearing a fursuit 24/7, or thinking you are actually an OS-tan, and go around behaving like one, is obsessive and unacceptable.

you say obsessive and unacceptable, I say "it's their life".

there's a TLC show called my strange obsession. one episode featured a furry girl who liked to go out in her fursuit. i'll admit that she probably shouldn't go into town like that, but if it's on her own time, who the fuck cares? if she wants to run around the woods with her fellow furry friends, who the hell are we to say she can't.

after all, there was a time when I ran around the woods pretending to be a wizard (well, mostly peasant girl #5), along with my friends. we weren't hurting anyone, and in fact, it was some of the best times of my life. some people would call us crazy. but we were just having fun.
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 07, 2013, 11:22:31 AM

there's a TLC show called my strange obsession. one episode featured a furry girl who liked to go out in her fursuit. i'll admit that she probably shouldn't go into town like that, but if it's on her own time, who the fuck cares? if she wants to run around the woods with her fellow furry friends, who the hell are we to say she can't.

after all, there was a time when I ran around the woods pretending to be a wizard (well, mostly peasant girl #5), along with my friends. we weren't hurting anyone, and in fact, it was some of the best times of my life. some people would call us crazy. but we were just having fun.

Agreed, Kari.

I frankly don't care what people do with themselves as long as it's not harming others.

Chocofreak13

it's like I want to tell to my cousin if she gets in my face again.

"I could become a serial killer. And it'd be none of your business.
I could have 17 kids. And it'd be none of your business.
I could join a cult. And it'd still be none of your business."
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Indeed. I mean, I like to wear skirts, dresses, and other feminine clothing in my spare time; it doesn't hurt anybody, so regardless of what opinions the many bible-thumping conservatives (Such as my mom and her entire side of the family) might have, it's none of their business.

Besides, skirts are comfy -w-

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

DustiiWolf

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on December 07, 2013, 11:22:31 AM

I meant, it would be obsessive and weird to actually tell everyone you're a dog, run around in a fursuit, and hump peoples legs.

wearing costumes are fine. In fact, a lot of furries put a lot of time, effort, and money in them. I meant it gets obsessive when you no longer can tell reality from fiction. I assume you don't actually believe you were peasant girl #5/a wizard, correct? It was play. Acting. Having fun.

Also, I am pretty sure a lot of furries were less than pleased with that episode, if my memory serves correctly.

DustiiWolf

Quote from: PentiumMMX on December 07, 2013, 12:28:57 PM
Indeed. I mean, I like to wear skirts, dresses, and other feminine clothing in my spare time; it doesn't hurt anybody, so regardless of what opinions the many bible-thumping conservatives (Such as my mom and her entire side of the family) might have, it's none of their business.

Besides, skirts are comfy -w-

Dejavu.