OS-tan Theory Revival

Started by Chocofreak13, January 01, 2012, 11:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Quote from: Simonorged on May 15, 2013, 09:12:04 AM
Might I suggest that for the wiki Linux XP has a doppleganger darker color scheme.

Go for it. :)

Did you want me to add it to the wiki, or are you planning on doing so yourself? (You'll have to ask one of the Admins for wiki editing permission, since members here aren't by default giving editing permission.)

Gussy Keniji

Whoooah, now I feel kinda poopy for not being around to be a part of this big move. Looks like theres tons of content to slog through but, from what I've skimmed through we've got some great concepts floating around. I'm gonna read through -errything- and see if I can do some stuff, it's about time I like...I dunno, stopped being dead for a change, anyway.

:V

"Wut..."

Simonorged

@Bella: I not very good so I'll try to draw it out but likely the former.
Simon was here :P

Bella

Quote from: Gussy Keniji on May 22, 2013, 12:17:08 PM
Whoooah, now I feel kinda poopy for not being around to be a part of this big move. Looks like theres tons of content to slog through but, from what I've skimmed through we've got some great concepts floating around. I'm gonna read through -errything- and see if I can do some stuff, it's about time I like...I dunno, stopped being dead for a change, anyway.

:V

GUSSY-SAN!! GET IN THE CAR! *points at Official OSC Vehicle*

Glad you're liking what you're seeing here! Have you checked on the wiki recently, btw? I haven't been editing much over there lately, but over the past fall / winter I did quite a few renovations.

Quote from: Simonorged on May 22, 2013, 01:23:08 PM
@Bella: I not very good so I'll try to draw it out but likely the former.

Okay!

Simonorged

Copy pasta recolor.

Color scheme Idea for Linux XP-tan

I did an original drawing as well, just gotta find a scanner.

Used this for color ideas
Simon was here :P

Hālian He/him

Random quotes from the Discord server about IRIX-hime headcanons/theories:

Quote from: undefined[2:17 AM] Halian: fills time and wastes space by imagining IRIX-hime dressed casually. Probably jeans and a white/purple baseball tee with the SGI logo, oh and the shades. How heretical.
[2:18 AM] Halian: Then again for someone as vain aesthetically-minded as her, whose everyday outfit is a ball gown, "casual" is probably far less casual than I'm thinking of

[2:26 AM] Halian: I mean as powerful as Solaris-tan and UNIX-sama are, it would be entirely plausible for IRIX-hime to be a low-grade reality warper under the guise of graphical sourcery

[2:33 AM] Halian: Unrelatedly, I headcanon IRIX-hime's shades to be the source of her powers, and perhaps she gets migraines & eventually seizures (or just faints crashes) if she tries to do sourcery without (or perhaps simply if she goes without for prolonged periods of wakeful time), since software acceleration can't hang
[2:39 AM] Halian: wonders how IRIX-hime might have changed after 2006, when SGI dropped support for IRIX, and especially after the buyouts by Rackable & HP Enterprise
[2:40 AM] Halian: especially since her shades can no longer be replaced if something happens (TBH she probably hoards any other examples SGI made for that very reason)

[2:50 AM] Halian: Consider also that SGI's former headquarters are now owned by Google, so IRIX-hime might have Opinions about that

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: Halian on March 30, 2019, 01:47:36 AMRandom quotes from the Discord server about IRIX-hime headcanons/theories:

I agree with all of those headcanons! IRIX isn't an OS I know much about, and I learned some more about it from you, but having a degree of reality warper powers is a fitting way to express her graphical capabilities. The drawbacks to her power also fitting since software acceleration can't hang.

The most casual outfits I can imagine her wearing are ones that still have a futuristic vibe to them, or some 1980's style outfits because they'd go well with her shades. I'd imagine she could wear a basic t-shirt and jeans if she were on a dare!

Not being able to have her shades replaced would probably force her to be very cautious about using her powers, and when to use them. She'd probably be forced to avoid fights too. If she likes to show off, and I assume she does, it'd be a difficult choice.

Having her support dropped and the buyouts would've hurt her morale. OSes that come from long-spanning families where daughters or younger sisters are the successors to the next in the same company, such as the Windows and Mac families all know that it's inevitable that their support will be dropped, usually in a few years. The Unixes are different since almost all of them are from different companies from another, and could each remain current OSes for many years to come. For them to have their support be dropped, it can be a shock to them.

Hālian He/him

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on March 30, 2019, 09:47:46 AMI agree with all of those headcanons! IRIX isn't an OS I know much about, and I learned some more about it from you, but having a degree of reality warper powers is a fitting way to express her graphical capabilities. The drawbacks to her power also fitting since software acceleration can't hang.
Nice! ^_^ I also think IRIX-hime being a reality warper makes undue amounts of sense when you look at the names of some of SGI's graphics chipsets (e.g. Infinite Reality).

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on March 30, 2019, 09:47:46 AMThe most casual outfits I can imagine her wearing are ones that still have a futuristic vibe to them, or some 1980's style outfits because they'd go well with her shades. I'd imagine she could wear a basic t-shirt and jeans if she were on a dare!
Which makes perfect sense, since she originally came out in 1988 — either that and/or early 90s outfits, since that time was the zenith of her popularity. Jeans and a T-shirt would be the "oh shit I need to leave the house and all my Real Outfits are in the washer/at the cleaners" absolute last resort. (Also, now I'm imagining IRIX-hime in a kimono on a dare from Windows 95-tan.)

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on March 30, 2019, 09:47:46 AMNot being able to have her shades replaced would probably force her to be very cautious about using her powers, and when to use them. She'd probably be forced to avoid fights too. If she likes to show off, and I assume she does, it'd be a difficult choice.
I imagine nowadays she mostly, if not exclusively, uses her graphical sourcery for peaceful ends (and/or brings bodyguards). So her formal job title might well be something to do with A/V or music festivals or etc.

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on March 30, 2019, 09:47:46 AMHaving her support dropped and the buyouts would've hurt her morale. OSes that come from long-spanning families where daughters or younger sisters are the successors to the next in the same company, such as the Windows and Mac families all know that it's inevitable that their support will be dropped, usually in a few years. The Unixes are different since almost all of them are from different companies from another, and could each remain current OSes for many years to come. For them to have their support be dropped, it can be a shock to them.

Quote from: VolareVia on March 30, 2019, 11:20:23 AMThe only thing I know about IRIX is that the fsn file manager is a thing, so I can assume that she's a showoff.
IRIX and associated tools (e.g. Maya, whose manufacturer was owned by SGI for a while) were used a lot to make special effects for films, and were also used for N64 development (as SGI had a hand in developing that console). Her current wiki article reflects this as such with her vanity aesthetic-mindedness (see also: the eye-candy case designs of SGI machines and little things like IRIX' isometric vector icons), so I imagine being a showoff would go hand-in-hand with that. However, I also get the feeling that she's stoic if not emotionless from her straight faces in all three works of art that depict her, so who knows.

Hālian He/him

Additionally, I like to think that IRIX-hime sometimes wears green (Indigo²), teal (Octane), indigo (IRIS Indigo), purple (Onyx, Indigo², Tezro), black (Onyx), or even red (IRIS Crimson, Fuel).

Additionally additionally, Japanese name idea: Ayame Shoki (書記菖蒲). Ayame means "iris flower", and Shoki means "scribe" (i.e. a literal translation of the surname Clark). Given that IRIX-hime is very likely an artist in her own right, I've headcanoned the punny noms de plume Airiki (藍力 "strength of indigo" or 藍利器 "sharp weapon/useful talent of indigo").

Bella

A while back I learned that OpenVMS is being maintained by a group of former DEC employees under their own company. I also learned there's an ongoing effort to port VMS to x86.

I believe the story implications for this are VMS-tan being rescued by, and reuniting with, the DEC-tans. Since she's effectively no longer beholden to any company, surrounded by people who know her history, AND not in imminent threat of being displaced again, I imagine she has lost the mask and is generally in a much more relaxed place mentally.

I'm less certain what the implications of VMS on x86 hold for VMS-tan.

Hālian He/him

I would imagine OpenVMS-tan has Opinions about x86 (and other architectures) thanks to their displacement of VAX and its successor, Alpha.

(I also imagine her running a bait shop and/or marina for some reason.)

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: Bella on April 29, 2019, 01:15:40 PMA while back I learned that OpenVMS is being maintained by a group of former DEC employees under their own company. I also learned there's an ongoing effort to port VMS to x86.

I believe the story implications for this are VMS-tan being rescued by, and reuniting with, the DEC-tans. Since she's effectively no longer beholden to any company, surrounded by people who know her history, AND not in imminent threat of being displaced again, I imagine she has lost the mask and is generally in a much more relaxed place mentally.

I'm less certain what the implications of VMS on x86 hold for VMS-tan.

I don't have anything about the implications of VMS on x86, but what happened to OpenVMS is surprising, but the implications mean that VMS-tan can finally feel a sense of freedom that she hasn't in a long time. Her time spent post-DEC having to for the companies that conquered hers must have been humiliating for her, but as a proprietary OS, the dropping of company support would've been a scary and uncertain fate, and seem even worse. As tough and stoic as VMS-tan is, knowing that company support was going to be dropped still would've been scary for her. In the present day, would she still be the leader of the CIOST, since she set up to support other OS-tans who wanted to keep their independence?

Some other theories that were discussed:

Multics-tan is the only OS-tan who has been established as being resurrected after death, but MTS-tan and CTSS-tan may have also been resurrected after emulators for their OSes were successfully developed. The emulator for MTS was released 1 or 2 years ago, CTSS became open source in 2004, and a successful emulator was developed around 2009. The precedent for deceased OS-tans to be resurrected if working emulators can be built for them is there.

Could Apple I-tan also eventually be resurrected? She could, based on this precedent, but what about the story implications? Would her resurrection could cheapen the loss that Apple II-tan, Lisa-tan and Apple III-tan suffered early in their lives, and the sadness that System 1-tan felt over not being able to meet her. I've known about there being Apple I emulators for many years, but Apple I-tan was deceased and died early for story purposes.

AMIX-tan (Amiga Unix) could've been one of Linux-tan's early mentors: Components of AMIX were open source. They weren't free software because of the proprietary licensing of the rest of AMIX's code, but AMIX-tan could be an early advocate for open sourcery among the Unix-tans, and she looked to mentor anyone who would agree, and was shunned by most of the Unix Family. AMIX-tan was presumed to have died shortly after Commodore's bankruptcy in 1994, so she didn't live to see open source OSes become as prominent as they are now. The last version of AMIX was released in 1992, so near the end of AMIX-tan's life, she wasn't on duty much within the Commodore Fleet that she could've spent a lot of time searching for students she could mentor.

Linux-tan has to be careful to not become what she sought to fight against: In 2006 when the Annex Project continuity was being founded, the Linux OSes were gaining a lot of popularity, but were still underdogs. The Linux Family was growing in power and influence, but had some ways to go. Linux has now become a lot more mainstream, being widely used in servers, mobile devices, and now Windows 10 has the Windows Subsystem for Linux compatibility layer. Linux-tan can't see herself and the most prominent members of her family as underdogs so much because of these gains, and risks becoming what she sought to fight against. Despite the schisms that happened within the Linux Family due to the systemd controversy, the branches are still powerful in their own right.

It's been suggested that Unix has been carefully watching Linux-tan's leadership and trying to guide her away from being corrupted by the power she gained. Unix doesn't want to see Linux-tan become the way she used to be, and for the Linux Family to suffer from infighting severe enough to start a war akin to the Unix Wars.

Nichi

So, something I brought up in the Discord, that I feel should be archived here, would be a headcanon I had involving 2k-tan.

During her youth, she used to idolize OS/2 Warp-tan; noting how the
NT 5.0 startup sound feels like a mixing of elements from the
the one for Warp 4.0 and
the one for NT 4.0. However, at some point, she became aware of the negative light in which OS/2 Warp-tan views the Windows-tans, and it lead to a desire to differentiate herself; this is signified in the final release of Windows 2000
having a different startup sound altogether.